PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Is Pontiac coming back? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873354)

Diego 04-25-2024 01:37 PM

Is Pontiac coming back?

https://journal.classiccars.com/2024...-pontiac-back/

Not the usual Internet BS this time.

Mr_GTO 04-25-2024 02:12 PM

DISCLAIMER: Do you need to be told that this advertisement is fake and not to be taken seriously? Our lawyers think you do.

Diego 04-25-2024 02:21 PM

So why would GM invest in an ad?

OG68 04-25-2024 03:13 PM

Wouldn't be the first time Car & Driver pulled the wool over someones eyes.

Sirrotica 04-25-2024 03:26 PM

Given GMs current state of affairs, I'd bet GM is going to fail, (again) long before they have a chance to ressurect Pontiac.

I just saw where Barra said, GM will soon become a leading software company..............:doh:

General Software, that has a nice ring to it...........LOL

242177P 04-25-2024 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego (Post 6500025)
So why would GM invest in an ad?

Why should we read an article about another article when
we can just read the Car & Driver article instead? Ah, Diego
is generating clicks. Again. Just skip the charades and tell
us you wrote an article next time.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1714072923

Diego 04-25-2024 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OG68 (Post 6500037)
Wouldn't be the first time Car & Driver pulled the wool over someones eyes.

Car & Driver received payment for an ad. Ads are not editorial content.

GM already has a small-block V8 with 600+ horses paired with an electric motor. Only time will tell whether there is something here.

Diego 04-25-2024 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 242177P (Post 6500044)
Why should we read an article about another article...

Folks, we have Exhibit A above that explains why the Internet is a race to the bottom. Guy can't even figure out that the story is about an advertisement, not a story on a story. It's like we have our very own Idiocracy fall onto our laps.

LastoftheThinkers 04-25-2024 05:15 PM

Your presume the ad was paid for by GM. The disclaimer presumes it was not, but rather wishful thinking by someone at the magazine. GM isn't smart enough to put out Pontiacs again. They are too busy crippling what is left of their car manufacturing.

MarkS57 04-25-2024 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastoftheThinkers (Post 6500065)
Your presume the ad was paid for by GM. The disclaimer presumes it was not, but rather wishful thinking by someone at the magazine. GM isn't smart enough to put out Pontiacs again. They are too busy crippling what is left of their car manufacturing.

I agree, highly doubtful but beyond trucks, the Corvette & a few Caddy's, what better way to make a splash.......IF and it's a big IF, it's done right...
Let's face it, EV's are the sh*t these days and it's just depressing. :gag:

242177P 04-25-2024 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego (Post 6500059)
Folks, we have Exhibit A above that explains why the Internet is a race to the bottom. Guy can't even figure out that the story is about an advertisement, not a story on a story. It's like we have our very own Idiocracy fall onto our laps.

LOL, nice cope. I never read your article.

Fact is, you're trying to direct traffic to your article.
That in and of itself is fine. But calling me 'tarded
because I pointed out how you aren't forthright
about your journalism? Priceless. :pound:

OG68 04-25-2024 08:20 PM

GM already has a performance division, it's called Cadillac. With the exception of the Corvette, what else is there?

gtokid1968 04-25-2024 10:27 PM

And gets 17-20 MPG

KS circutguy 04-25-2024 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtokid1968 (Post 6500132)
And gets 17-20 MPG

The Corvette earns EPA fuel economy ratings of 15 mpg city, 27 mpg highway, and 19 mpg combined.

Diego 04-26-2024 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastoftheThinkers (Post 6500065)
Your presume the ad was paid for by GM.

Do you have a better suggestion who paid for the ad? Please spill the beans.

Quote:

The disclaimer presumes it was not, but rather wishful thinking by someone at the magazine.
So what would be the raison d'etre for the magazine to create a fake ad? And was the publication given license to use a registered trademark?

April 1st was quite awhile ago. FWIW, I take the disclaimer as being coy, the first of several serial ads.

Quote:

GM isn't smart enough to put out Pontiacs again. They are too busy crippling what is left of their car manufacturing.
That's a subjective opinion that doesn't align with anything else you've said.

Since the magazine issue just came out, I'm interested in learning what dots can be connected by others in the ensuing weeks . . . or the source of the joke.

Half-Inch Stud 04-26-2024 06:18 AM

Pontiac naw, but PMD as a subsidiary of DMC, yea.

LastoftheThinkers 04-26-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego (Post 6500151)
Do you have a better suggestion who paid for the ad? Please spill the beans.

So what would be the raison d'etre for the magazine to create a fake ad? And was the publication given license to use a registered trademark?

April 1st was quite awhile ago. FWIW, I take the disclaimer as being coy, the first of several serial ads.

That's a subjective opinion that doesn't align with anything else you've said.

Since the magazine issue just came out, I'm interested in learning what dots can be connected by others in the ensuing weeks . . . or the source of the joke.

Against my better judgement, you wanted answers, here they are:

1. I mentioned in my original comment who I thought was responsible, and you brought it up in point 2.

2. Seeing as it is April, and the magazine did not come out on the first, it is probably an April Fools joke.

3. Is it subjective? Have you been watching motor vehicle trends? Especially GM? If you are, you are a liar. If you aren't, you have nothing to say.

Just admit you had a bad thought and move on.

mgarblik 04-26-2024 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red80TA (Post 6500162)
Makes sense in the US that a May/June issue comes out for April 1.

Even if Pontiac did come back, its sports model would have an electric plug and look like a turtle. You'd wish they had never returned and all those that were sad at the demise had no intention of purchasing a new car of theirs anyway.

That's not entirely true. My wife had been saving up for several years to buy a NEW Trans Am in 2010. The Camaro and Firebird were presumed to be continued as sister cars back then. When Pontiac went out of business in 2010, She bought a 2011 Coyote Mustang GT 6-speed. A Camaro was not a serious contender with their signature super cheap interiors, touch points and toy like styling.

The Champ 04-26-2024 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego (Post 6500017)
Not the usual Internet BS this time.

I think this is BS.

Chris65LeMans 04-26-2024 12:15 PM

Definitely the usual internet b.s. "An electric motor to start a... 372 cu V-8?"

Yeah - just like my Yukon. Describing that as a "hybrid" is beyond any BS that GM is capable of - that's approaching a Tesla marketing level of lies!