PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Header gasket...........take a guess (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865519)

gtorich 03-26-2023 06:54 PM

Header gasket...........take a guess

2 Attachment(s)
Have dougs d ports headers, gonna order the remflex 12-001 and some dougs gaskets as well................i have these laying around, no idea on what they are, any guesses.

Looked at the fel-pro 1424........seems odd to have so many different measurements for pontiac exhaust.

The ones in the pics measure 1.955 height, and center width... 1.220............talking about the above parts, those numbers are all different.

Thanks

Rich

Skip Fix 03-26-2023 07:32 PM

look like FelPros to me.

gtorich 03-26-2023 07:52 PM

Hey skip, thought the fel pros were blue...........these do not match the fel pro 1424 size, wonder what number these are............these are about 15 yrs old best i can remember.

Rich

NeighborsComplaint 03-27-2023 01:50 AM

Aren't those OEM style steel gaskets for manifolds? Looks to be embossed around the exhaust port. You wouldn't want to run those with headers if so.

Cliff R 03-27-2023 07:39 AM

They probably were blue about 14 years ago. The stock gaskets are nothing more than a thin steel shim....

78w72 03-27-2023 09:39 AM

looks like a common steel core graphite faced header gasket. they look just like the hooker gaskets that came with my headers, hooker sells them & includes them with their headers. house brands like summit have them too that look just like these. felpros are definitely blue that wont fade to grey like these.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...YEAQYBCABEgJm7

if you have quality headers like dougs with nice flat flanges & clean flat head surfaces, you shouldnt need expensive specialty gaskets, the steel core graphite gaskets work great when installed right & retorque the bolts after a few heat cycles then check periodically. some swear by high temp RTV alone or added to gaskets. also a good locking type header bolt helps a lot, summit sells nice stainless header bolts for cheap with serrations under the head to help keep them tight.
i have the cheap priced hooker graphite gaskets on a 500+hp E-head motor that are leak free after 7-8 years and lots of drag strip use & hard street miles. i use the supplied hedman paper gaskets on another car for 13+ years with no leaks and have had other cheap header gaskets on another car for 10+ years that was a daily driver & saw close to 100k miles. never understood the need for remflex gaskets and all the problems some people seem to have with headers.

25stevem 03-27-2023 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If your picking gaskets to use for gasket matching then whatever mismatch you have on the exh port floor and for half way up the outside walls on the center ports and then for about half way up in inner walls on the end ports, leave those areas stock.

Here’s a photo of what I mean in terms of the center ports.

This a 6X head and that one side is ported, but you can still make out the remains of the white paint where the port was not matched.

This used a factory steel shim gasket.

NeighborsComplaint 03-27-2023 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint (Post 6416904)
Aren't those OEM style steel gaskets for manifolds? Looks to be embossed around the exhaust port. You wouldn't want to run those with headers if so.

Yeah. just looked at the pic again and see the shadow around the port edge showing how thick they are. The have the "meat tenderizer" stipling like that are metal faced composition gaskets. I didn't think they did that on the graphite faced ones.

gtorich 03-27-2023 05:39 PM

Thanks guys, i ordered some new ones anyways, i cant remember where i got these from anyways. lol

Rich