PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   CV-1 FOR THE WIN (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861844)

Scott Roberts 09-27-2022 10:51 PM

CV-1 FOR THE WIN

4 Attachment(s)
Randy Belehar won the StreetRace Big Block power adder class at drag week..
68 Firebird, leaf spring suspension, stock subframe, 3500lbs race weight, CV-1 heads( unported exhaust ports) with CVI-1R 2pc manifold (unported)511c.i. Pump/E85 capable, N20 Fogger 1 stage, EFI, TH400 with drag radials..
This one should hurt some feelings..lol

Dragncar 09-28-2022 12:44 AM

Cool, Pontiac won.
What did it run ? MPH weight ?

Scott Roberts 09-28-2022 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6375578)
Cool, Pontiac won.
What did it run ? MPH weight ?

3500lbs race weight and average was 8.54-5 I believe..
Thought you didn't like the cv-1's? Didn't u bash them for years? Car went a 9.1 on motor when testing..

Dragncar 09-28-2022 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Roberts (Post 6375582)
3500lbs race weight and average was 8.54-5 I believe..
Thought you didn't like the cv-1's? Didn't u bash them for years? Car went a 9.1 on motor when testing..

What does it matter if I like them are not ? The guy made 917 HP with a 9-1 motor, that pretty good.
Congratulations.

Scott Roberts 09-28-2022 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6375587)
What does it matter if I like them are not ? The guy made 917 HP with a 9-1 motor, that pretty good.
Congratulations.

I'm not even gonna smack u down over this.. only because i want to see this thread play out..

25stevem 09-28-2022 06:31 AM

How much of a Hp shot was the NOS set to add?

Scott Roberts 09-28-2022 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25stevem (Post 6375595)
How much of a Hp shot was the NOS set to add?

Not up to me to divulge that. Let's just say there's a lot more in the car than an 8.50.. that was the bump spot for that class though..

Mr_GTO 09-28-2022 08:26 AM

Nice to see any Pontiac win regardless of which heads are on it.

scott70 09-28-2022 08:42 AM

How about " pontiac firebird for the win" ?

Scott Roberts 09-28-2022 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott70 (Post 6375609)
How about " pontiac firebird for the win" ?

Sure, that too. However, just want to make it clear it's a chitty old CV-1 engine doing it..
You know, the one that can't make power and has valve train issues along with intake distribution issues.. yeah, the one that made the 1000 mile trip with no issues and won the class.. the CV-1 powered Pontiac Firebird if you will..
Better?

mgarblik 09-28-2022 09:16 AM

This win should be celebrated, and I am glad it is. Open the hood and what do you see? Not a SBC, or an LS engine. Great win.

Elarson 09-28-2022 10:18 AM

Awesome accomplishment!

One thing we learned about nitrous......it does not offer unlimited power. Each head has a limit after which it doesn't matter what size the jets are or how many stages are used.

Eric

Scott Roberts 09-28-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elarson (Post 6375644)
Awesome accomplishment!

One thing we learned about nitrous......it does not offer unlimited power. Each head has a limit after which it doesn't matter what size the jets are or how many stages are used.

Eric

Agreed..at a point it's dimensioning returns.. Randy's not there yet.

scott70 09-28-2022 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6375622)
This win should be celebrated, and I am glad it is. Open the hood and what do you see? Not a SBC, or an LS engine. Great win.

Exactly.

Sirrotica 09-28-2022 01:11 PM

When Jim first made the CV 1 heads I spent a weekend at Norwalk in the manufacturers midway with our T Shirt booth set up next to his booth. I looked the heads over quite well during that weekend, and he, and I spoke a good bit about the new innovative heads.

I never saw why all the animosity on this site that was directed at a new product like was directed at the CV 1 heads. It's basically a Ford design that he adapted to Pontiac heads. He didn't start with an unproved entity, he started with something that had worked for other manufacturers.

There have been other cars with CV 1 heads that have ran well over the years, but just the mention of them here raised a chitstorm of negativity.

Anyway, I'm glad someone was able to make a statement for the much maligned cylinder head program, congratulations to the guys that made it happen..........:first:

johnta1 09-28-2022 01:43 PM

Congrats to Randy!
That is an awesome accomplishment, with CV-1, icing on the cake.

:clap2:

Scott Roberts 09-28-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirrotica (Post 6375696)
When Jim first made the CV 1 heads I spent a weekend at Norwalk in the manufacturers midway with our T Shirt booth set up next to his booth. I looked the heads over quite well during that weekend, and he, and I spoke a good bit about the new innovative heads.

I never saw why all the animosity on this site that was directed at a new product like was directed at the CV 1 heads. It's basically a Ford design that he adapted to Pontiac heads. He didn't start with an unproved entity, he started with something that had worked for other manufacturers.

There have been other cars with CV 1 heads that have ran well over the years, but just the mention of them here raised a chitstorm of negativity.

Anyway, I'm glad someone was able to make a statement for the much maligned cylinder head program, congratulations to the guys that made it happen..........:first:

There have been several.. there's a lot more out running hard that don't post on the net.. I've been a fan of the cv1 since it came out.. just felt like it never got a fair shake. Also feel like it got a bad rap from some of the guys that cut corners and blamed the head..

Dragncar 09-28-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Roberts (Post 6375589)
I'm not even gonna smack u down over this.. only because i want to see this thread play out..

917 HP is right in line with what Krull did with E heads on pump gas years ago. Made 914 hp.
Its a free country, whatever floats your boat and no Chevy in it.
I call it a win.

Scott Roberts 09-28-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6375721)
917 HP is right in line with what Krull did with E heads on pump gas years ago. Made 914 hp.
Its a free country, whatever floats your boat and no Chevy in it.
I call it a win.

Looks like someone's kicking rocks..lol
So was that ehead un ported exhaust and un ported intake? What ci was it? 511 or less? This motor was set up to be pretty mild in order to make the 1000 mile trip.. was the ehead? Was this ehead motor running 9.11 e.t.'s with a nitrous cam
On nuts?
Not familiar with the Krull engine.. feel free to fill in the blanks if it doesn't hurt too bad..

Dragncar 09-28-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Roberts (Post 6375725)
Looks like someone's kicking rocks..lol
So was that ehead un ported exhaust and un ported intake? What ci was it? 511 or less? This motor was set up to be pretty mild in order to make the 1000 mile trip.. was the ehead? Was this ehead motor running 9.11 e.t.'s with a nitrous cam
On nuts?
Not familiar with the Krull engine.. feel free to fill in the blanks if it doesn't hurt too bad..

There is a old thread on Krulls combo somewhere here. Others have done it too.
Randy has fine fine, well thought out combo.
Its apples to oranges with a un-ported Victor vs 2 piece race intake though.
How mild is his cam ? Do you know what his static CR is ? MPH ?
He did his homework for his combo that is for sure.