PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Spotts Performance Cam (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871187)

67Lemons 01-05-2024 10:43 AM

Spotts Performance Cam

How is Spotts as a vendor? I’m getting my build list together & prefer to not order from multiple vendors just to save a penny. I know Spotts has an eBay store with good pricing & quality but wanted to confirm that they’re a good source. One thing I noticed was their version of the 068 cam, like some some other suppliers they note that their 068 has additional lift built into it so it’s equivalent to running a factory 068 with 1.6 rockers. I’m considering a Melling SPC-7 but with so many HFT lifter horror stories I’m nervous about purchasing any lifter other than Hylift Johnson but since this is a super low budget build I question if it’s worth it with a factory style 068 cam? I also realize that the Hylift lifters are still cheaper than a cam failure during break in so I’d rather not cut corners there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28554861293...kAAOSwBO1k-1im

TransAm 474 01-05-2024 10:56 AM

I have purchased from his Ebay Store multiple times, always a great experiance and fast shipping. I have never used any of his camshafts though... I would still opt for the Hylift Johnson Lifters from Topline Automotive, even if using his camshaft, and get some Isky Rev Lube(black moly version) for the camshaft and lifter faces. Use a good Break-In Oil, we use and prefer the Lucas SAE 30wt Break-In oil. You can get 5 quart jugs from Summit reasonable, I believe it is only around $35-$38 or so, then purchase 1 single quart extra to go with it.

tom s 01-05-2024 11:18 AM

When I start a new build I get a lot of parts from Paul.Tom

1968GTO421 01-06-2024 08:52 PM

I've bought parts from Paul and he is a really good guy to deal with. In fact several years ago he gave me a good deal on my Topline Hi-Lift Johnson lifters. It's my belief that I probably got them quicker by going through Paul. A few weeks ago I got some Crower 68404-16 valve springs from Paul..good price and very quick shipping from him. He also contribute to the forum here.

jamaca85 01-07-2024 08:21 AM

bought alot of things from him always great
quality and fast shipping.

67Lemons 01-07-2024 06:53 PM

Any comments on the Spotts cam being a high lift version of the 068? I noticed that Butler also offers a high lift version of the 068 with the same claim that while using the factory 1.5 rockers the lift is equivalent to running an 068 with 1.6’s.

helmerrock 01-07-2024 07:31 PM

Pretty much the same cam. Like a Summit 2801. I used Spotts and lifters from him. All good. I was careful with break in. Pushrods all rotating. Lifters are quiet. I am happy with parts from Paul Spotts

b-man 01-07-2024 07:32 PM

I would bet most any vendor selling a ‘high lift 068’ cam is selling the same generic cam that’s sold by Summit Racing, the 2801 cam (214/224 @ .050, .444”/.466” lift) just in their own box.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...kaAkc_EALw_wcB

The Melling SPC-7 068 cam (212/225 @ .050, .407”/.407” lift w/1.5 rockers or .447”/.447” lift w/1.65 rockers) would be the easiest to use on a budget. You would be retaining the original 1.5 stamped rockers and stock pushrods and not over stressing the press-in rocker studs, keeping the original non-adjustable valvetrain.

Cliff R 01-07-2024 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dating clear back to when I first got into this hobby I figured out very quickly that VERY few of the cams offered by any company are ground "in house" or are most of them proprietary to any particular vendor. Yes, like it or not you aren't buying first level no matter what they tell you. So with nearly any camshaft purchase unless you are ordering a custom ground cam you can find it for less money someplace else.

Most folks selling all these cams "juggle" the specs some to throw the potential customer off track trying to make it look like their own cam, which just makes the entire process even more confusing.

Despite being able to save a couple dollars searching this purchase out I'd just throw Paul a bone on this. He supports the hobby and makes a living doing it. If he's selling those parts you can also bet he's done the homework for you and located USA made parts that work together without issues. While you are buying the cam/lifter combo ask him if he has any of the USA made stock type Cloyes timing sets left with the steel top gears. If so grab one of those as well, light years better than these "low" end POS double roller sets folks get talked into with these "budget" engine builds.....IMHO......

http://www.pontiacpower.org/PontiacCams.htm

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1704671984

67Lemons 01-07-2024 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff R (Post 6477067)
Dating clear back to when I first got into this hobby I figured out very quickly that VERY few of the cams offered by any company are ground "in house" or are most of them proprietary to any particular vendor. Yes, like it or not you aren't buying first level no matter what they tell you. So with nearly any camshaft purchase unless you are ordering a custom ground cam you can find it for less money someplace else.

Most folks selling all these cams "juggle" the specs some to throw the potential customer off track trying to make it look like their own cam, which just makes the entire process even more confusing.

Despite being able to save a couple dollars searching this purchase out I'd just throw Paul a bone on this. He supports the hobby and makes a living doing it. If he's selling those parts you can also bet he's done the homework for you and located USA made parts that work together without issues. While you are buying the cam/lifter combo ask him if he has any of the USA made stock type Cloyes timing sets left with the steel top gears. If so grab one of those as well, light years better than these "low" end POS double roller sets folks get talked into with these "budget" engine builds.....IMHO......

http://www.pontiacpower.org/PontiacCams.htm

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1704671984

My thoughts are to go with him for everything I need in the valve train, I just got concerned when I saw high lift 068 because my current plan is to stick with the press in studs & new stock valve springs, not sure that all that additional lift is good with what I’m wanting to do.

scott06 05-15-2024 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Lemons (Post 6477082)
My thoughts are to go with him for everything I need in the valve train, I just got concerned when I saw high lift 068 because my current plan is to stick with the press in studs & new stock valve springs, not sure that all that additional lift is good with what I’m wanting to do.

not sure if you are still considering this. I run a Spotts 068 HL cam on my stock 65 389. Very nice cam. As others have said pretty sure it is the same as the summit 2801 cam. This should work 100% with stock press ins and valves springs, but I will give you the same advice Paul gave me when I bought it- I would just check the retainer to seal clearance as you never know what some one did to the engine...

I had a valve job done on mine back in early 90's guides were cut down for seals - for some reason the machinist left the exhaust guides .090" higher than the intakes. What I found is even with the stock 067 cam at .407 lift the retainers were kissing the seals.

I was able to get around this by going back to the factory oring seal /splash cup on the exhaust and using a comp cams retainer that is .050" shorter on the intakes. A little playing a round but runs nice , great all around street cam.

Bottom line had Paul not said that I would have had an issue, the valve job was not done with any attention to detail

67Lemons 05-15-2024 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott06 (Post 6503808)
not sure if you are still considering this. I run a Spotts 068 HL cam on my stock 65 389. Very nice cam. As others have said pretty sure it is the same as the summit 2801 cam. This should work 100% with stock press ins and valves springs, but I will give you the same advice Paul gave me when I bought it- I would just check the retainer to seal clearance as you never know what some one did to the engine...

I had a valve job done on mine back in early 90's guides were cut down for seals - for some reason the machinist left the exhaust guides .090" higher than the intakes. What I found is even with the stock 067 cam at .407 lift the retainers were kissing the seals.

I was able to get around this by going back to the factory oring seal /splash cup on the exhaust and using a comp cams retainer that is .050" shorter on the intakes. A little playing a round but runs nice , great all around street cam.

Bottom line had Paul not said that I would have had an issue, the valve job was not done with any attention to detail

Thank your for the response, I am still considering this especially since I want to keep the stock #15 heads. Whenever I start to think about replacing the heads or having studs installed in the current heads so as not to worry about the lift issue with cams I come back to the same question of whether it’s really worth it or not. For my needs as a cruiser with an occasional burn out here & there the money doesn’t add up for me.

scott06 05-16-2024 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Lemons (Post 6503869)
Thank your for the response, I am still considering this especially since I want to keep the stock #15 heads. Whenever I start to think about replacing the heads or having studs installed in the current heads so as not to worry about the lift issue with cams I come back to the same question of whether it’s really worth it or not. For my needs as a cruiser with an occasional burn out here & there the money doesn’t add up for me.

Really comes down to your mechanical ability/comfort level and if you enjoy doing this work. I did all this with the head on the car while I was doing a tripower swap. Between my home resto work and daily driver maintenance and professionally doing a lot of industrial maintenance work/machinery installs it is not above my skill set and I actually enjoy the work.

Will you notice it in a otherwise stock street cruiser , probably not. I went from a 067 cam/ edlebrock 600 cfm 4 bll to the 068HL and tripower, definitely feel it in mid range punch, but i think the low end lost a touch compared to the 067 cam ... completely subjective. I have a 3.08 rear which with a 4 spd is probably too tall a 3.36 or the stock 3.55 would be better suited to a bigger cam.

What rear are you running? if you have highway cruiser gear like a 2.56 stay with the wider LSA of the 068 stock clone

67Lemons 05-17-2024 06:20 AM

I’m comfortable doing the work, it’s been a long time since I did a cam swap but well within my abilities. I’m also fortunate enough to have the engine on the stand to perform the work while I continue to drive the car with its original 326 still in place. I just want to make sure that whatever I do doesn’t create more issues down the road.

Currently the car has a highway gear but I have a set of 3.23’s to install at some point.

i82much 05-17-2024 11:38 PM

ya know back in the day we all wanted 4.33's and an 041. then we all got old and started running 3.08's and 068 cams, Just sayin'.

blueghoast 05-18-2024 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i82much (Post 6504260)
ya know back in the day we all wanted 4.33's and an 041. then we all got old and started running 3.08's and 068 cams, Just sayin'.

LMAO How true, Thats why I have multiple cars. That to comes with age.

GT