PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Interior pieces from Ames (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865472)

Tim Corcoran 03-25-2023 11:15 AM

Interior pieces from Ames

Has anyone purchased interior pieces from Ames. This would be carpet, seat covers, door panels, sun visors etc. I am curious about the difference between the PUI and the Legendary. There is a big price difference between the two offerings, who's has used the PUI stuff and the Legenary and what are your thoughts on quality and color match. Thank you for sharing your experience.

OG68 03-25-2023 11:45 AM

I had PUI door panels in my 70 El Camino SS. The Mylar trim starting peeling after a few years.

I've ordered a complete Legendary interior for my 68 GTO from Ames and Legendary over the past three years. Legendary headliner, sail panels and door jamb windlace from Ames, seat upholstery, sunvisors, and door panels from Legendary during their Christmas sale over the last two Christmas's.
The small parts from Ames took 6-8 weeks, Seat upholstery from Legendary took 8 months during 2022. Sunvisors about 6 weeks in 2021. The door panels about 14 weeks in 2023. .
Carpet from Ames. Seat padding/springs from ACI and Ben Rambow.
Color matching is very good. The door panels appear to be as good as the originals when compared side by side. I haven't installed them yet but don't anticipate any problems.

gtospieg 03-25-2023 12:06 PM

Legendary stuff is superior to PUI. You can see the difference in the seat upholstery at car shows. I used Legendary in my 67 GTO and am using them again for my current 67 project. It's been a long wait this time around but I knew that going in and ordered accordingly(not needed yet). I ordered everything during the Thanksgiving sale and have received everything except the seat covers.

TB1 03-25-2023 12:34 PM

I just did my 65 Lemans with PUI seat covers and door panels ,main reason for using them was that they were available for purchase right away(took some searching to find stock ended up purchasing from NPD) whereas the stuff from Legendary was 42 weeks out last August when I was looking to purchase. My car has the metallic red interior and the legendary stuff is a much closer color match to the factory materials for sure. Saying that my car is not number matching or a rare build by any means so the PUI stuff fits the bill as a good driver quality so to speak. As for long term durability no miles on it as of yet. I did find with the rear door cards that the pre punched holes for the arm rest bases were way off so this required some trimming with a sharp knife to get them to work. the fronts fit pretty good with all new hardware purchased.

vertigto 03-25-2023 07:50 PM

PUI was a bad color match... Legendary was spot on and correct mottling.

dataway 03-25-2023 09:55 PM

Legendary here, front seats and rear seat. Top quality stuff.

kk68 03-26-2023 07:05 AM

Legendary seat covers and door panels here. Definitely the best option.

vertigto 03-26-2023 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vertigto (Post 6416612)
PUI was a bad color match... Legendary was spot on and correct mottling.

For reference... original on left, PUI on Right.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1679852300

Joe-Touring 03-26-2023 04:24 PM

I have PUI seat covers and rear 1/4 panels. Seat covers don’t seem very durable, will definitely go with legendary next time. I’ve seen some seats done with legendary stuff at swap meets, looks much nicer

Mickey66 06-09-2023 11:26 AM

PUI Interior Experience

5 Attachment(s)
I finished the door and rear panel install, on my 1969 GTO convertible, with the panels from PUI (through AMES). There were lots of trimming, with an Exacto knife to get the holes for the window cranks and arm rest bolts to line up. The panels have perforated sections on the back side to make cutting the holes easier, but you need a few test fits to get them to fit correctly. The back sides of the panels needed to be glued down before I installed them because the material was coming loose. I got through that and installed them, with the push panel clips, which need to be turned correctly, to align with the door frame holes. Then when I went to test fit the door lock pull, it got stuck in the panel and pulled out the chrome ring at the top. There are metal tabs on the door, that dig into the button and prevent it from coming out. Once the trim ring pulled out, I was able to unscrew the door lock pull and pry back the metal tabs. The the GTO emblem punch-outs were not perforated correctly and I had to dig a new hole to get one of the pins to align. It was a rough go and lots of patience. When I looked at the GTO emblem to install it, it looked like a 4th grader painted the part. That was a disaster, for both panels. I installed them, with the expectation that I will need to replace them at some point. In all I would go with the Legendary interior components, as recommended by other forum members.

Mickey66 06-09-2023 11:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the other pics because there is a 5 attachment limit to each post.