PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   64-65 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Spare tire, jack etc (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840389)

Andre 05-07-2020 07:49 AM

Spare tire, jack etc

We've gone round and round on jack types, colors etc. But I was having a discussion of the exact position that the lug wrench and jack stalk were stored. We are fairly sure we know how that is, but if you have some pics to post that would be great.

That lead us to another question that concerns the storage of the spare. Why did GM choose to stow the spare upside down. To me this seems to be counter intuitive to adding air to the spare. Can anyone think why GM did that. I guess that maybe owners rotated their tires often enough including the spare so adding air to it was at this stage?

Chief of the 60's 05-07-2020 08:32 AM

The spare was mounted facing down because of the bolt. The bolt is too short to mount the tire facing up even though the bolt is already very long. I'm certain that if the bolt were any longer it would not allow good clamping force.

242177P 05-07-2020 08:34 AM

Shorter anchor bolt, and lower center of gravity?

65 421 TODD 05-07-2020 08:44 AM

Spare Tire Storage

3 Attachment(s)
Here you go Andre. Customers were probably asking that same question for a few years then Pontiac offered this option. I put one in, looks nice and easy to check spare air pressure.

Rich-Tripower 05-07-2020 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ours has always had the longer bolt (since 1970 at least which is when we got it). Maybe the original owner of ours was one of those who complained about the shorter bolt?

Andre 05-07-2020 10:49 AM

I used to have a Craftsman News Binders from 1964-1978. Apparently that was a tidbit of information that I glossed over. On all my cars I have mounted the spare facing up. Mostly because I like to look at the pretty red line when I open the trunk. I'm fairly sure this face down method of storage was consistent across the GM line, and yes, a short J hook is less expensive than a longer one saving a few cents on each unit which does add up to significant $$, but could this have been the only reason?

60sstuff 05-07-2020 11:25 AM

1965, 1966 Spare tire / jack position

5 Attachment(s)
It’s obvious how the Tempest Series storage was to been done.

The water slide decal on the underside of the deck lid clearly shows this.

Both my cars (Baltimore and Fremont builds) are the same.

The “Factory stamping” of the trunk floor also provides were the jack and lug wrench were to be placed.

Chris.

Jeff Hamlin 05-08-2020 06:36 AM

FWIW...

I've always stowed my jack in the latter position versus the early layout
per location change in '66 as well I store tire face up.
I also use a salvaged post sleave from a '67 parts car, I like the idea of preventing possible vibration
and choose to carry a matched tire/rim as spare since I drive it ;)

But thats just me.
Cheers.

60sstuff 05-08-2020 10:51 AM

Decal Change

5 Attachment(s)
The year 1966 of the Tempest Series showed a change in the storage of the jack mechanism, as Jeff mentioned above.

My records of “Original” decals on the underside of the deck lids show the change in the middle of March ‘66.

First design decal - (horizontal decal)
BAL 01A
BF 01B
BAL 03B

Second design - (vertical decal)
BF 03C
PON 05C

The first 4 photos below show my BF 01B with the early decal and the Fremont painted jack assy. and base.

Last photo is a BF 03C with the later vertical decal.

Chris.