PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   whats your biggest Resto blunder?? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590062)

turbo69bird 02-24-2009 01:17 AM

whats your biggest Resto blunder??

Just figured this would be great way for guys not to make the same mistakes others have already made.

Greg Reid 02-24-2009 07:59 AM

Pull the headliner out of a car before you start welding on the roof. :rolleyes:

bajagold70 02-24-2009 08:55 AM

Hanging new quarters and not test fitting the rear window trim before painting the car .

chuckmnv 02-24-2009 11:40 AM

Oh, that's easy: starting!
cm

rolling money pits 02-24-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckmnv (Post 3576513)
cm

LOL

beat me to it.

and in my case, starting one while you're still in college.

3 Chiefs 02-24-2009 01:30 PM

Wasted $300.00 on cheap junkie sheetmetal. Spend more money and get the good stuff. Lesson learned.

When replacing sheetmetal, measure everything many times.

Paul

Greg Reid 02-24-2009 02:01 PM

Actually, my biggest blunder is probably still yet to come..lol

formulapk 02-24-2009 02:01 PM

believing what the seller is trying to sell you, if buying from a stranger, i would hope that all of us on this forum are the trustworthy types. check EVERYTHING yourself and know what to look for. be well informed. sad but too many guys looking to make a quick buck off you.

The Boss 02-24-2009 02:15 PM

Getting divorced in the middle of one.

The second mistake was not visiting the shop more often.

Boxerdog 02-24-2009 02:24 PM

Biggest screw up

Using Killer chrome.

Greg Reid 02-24-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxerdog (Post 3576675)
Using Killer chrome.

Really? I was really pleased with it once I figured out the proper way to use it.

70 Lemans 02-24-2009 02:33 PM

But I always say. You can't finish what you don't start. Need another lifetime though.:o
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckmnv (Post 3576513)
cm

Jerry H. 02-24-2009 03:29 PM

The biggest blunder that I can remember at this moment is trying to change the positive battery cable at the starter WIHTOUT disconnecting it from the battery first. Fried both cables. There are others I'm sure.

Barrier Blue 02-24-2009 03:41 PM

One that comes to mind is not test-fitting the rear wheel opening moldings before welding new lower quarters in place.
Another is letting my brother paint the GTO.

performerrpm 02-24-2009 06:31 PM

well, up til now i can say this. dont take your car all apart then decide you need to get married. if you do get married well....try and keep busy so not to end up in the sac with wife to often, you would be amazed how quick a planned year long project can turn into 5-7 years after she starts shootin out kids at a steady pace and you keep having to upgrade the living quarters all the while she is telling you it is the proper thing to do! other than that tho, go for it!!!

kate`s67gto 02-24-2009 06:39 PM

If someone else installed a part double check it after he is not looking. A big dollar lessen learned, also double check your own work.

The Boss 02-24-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by performerrpm (Post 3576930)
well, up til now i can say this. dont take your car all apart then decide you need to get married. if you do get married well....try and keep busy so not to end up in the sac with wife to often, you would be amazed how quick a planned year long project can turn into 5-7 years after she starts shootin out kids at a steady pace and you keep having to upgrade the living quarters all the while she is telling you it is the proper thing to do! other than that tho, go for it!!!

That right there - is some funny stuff! :D

70 Lemans 02-24-2009 07:14 PM

Wow you nailed it. No pun intended.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by performerrpm (Post 3576930)

carcrazy 02-24-2009 08:37 PM

Purchasing a car with more rust than good metal!

78 GHOST 02-24-2009 08:41 PM

Letting Alpha Kustom in Willis, TX do the paintwork and not doing it myself.

hpp 02-24-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrier Blue (Post 3576754)
One that comes to mind is not test-fitting the rear wheel opening moldings before welding new lower quarters in place.
Another is letting my brother paint the GTO.

Hope your brother dosen't read this.
Let me know if you ever need your car painted,I can do it at work in the paint booth for you.

hpp 02-24-2009 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I restored this '60 Bonneville,here are a few things we did wrong.

1.Didn't set a budget
2.Didn't make a plan as to what and how much we were going to do.
3.Didn't realize the only patch panel made are the rockers.

Take plenty of pitchure's and research the car and parts available prior to the restore...

opnwide 02-24-2009 10:00 PM

Removing the door before replacing the quarter.

Live and learn.

400 4spd. 02-24-2009 10:33 PM

Letting someone else finish a car I started (at work).

J.D. 02-24-2009 10:35 PM

installing an aftermarket quarter on a 70 gto conv with the decklid off. didnt see the bodyline that wraps around the back was off until i put the decklid back on. of course i had already ground and smoothed the weld line ( from the door all the way back to the decklid) out. had to cut the quarter off and get a new one. :censored:

turbo69bird 02-24-2009 11:49 PM

Oh man those are all great!!

Just what I had in mind.

I actually have never done a nut and bolt resto so I dont really have any other than the same ones already up.

I have done a lot of customs and Drivers and The biggest one I can say is letting anyone other than Myself touch the car in any way shape or form.LOL

Every time I have ever sent something out I have been disgusted with how it came out.

With the exception of my machine work which liefert in torrington CT does and its perfect everytime.

x-bird2 02-25-2009 12:51 AM

Bought a rust bucket.
didn't have a bank account in the high six or 7 figure zone.
installed a repop partial quarter and spent untold hours--in the hundreds -- trying to make it look nice. now i just want to rip it off, 10 years and the car still isn't painted mainly because of that quarter--and money.

jww 02-25-2009 11:09 AM

Underestimating how time and money it's going to take. Double everything and understand that you're probably low!

JWW

69goatboy 02-25-2009 11:46 AM

Getting too antsy about your first engine and tranny removal and forgetting to drain the fluids.

Actually most of my blunders all seem to boil down to the same thing: lack of patience.

70 Lemans 02-25-2009 11:58 AM

Blunders come and go from time to time but,

If someone thinks they want to attempt a resto. I would suggest starting with a very small project first. Case in point I have been out of the fiberglass and auto body DEAL for many years. Now a good friend of mind had a new fiberglass scoop for his dragster that need mounting. Then paint. Unfortunately for them and me they transfer the holes (large) in the wrong place for the (Zeus faseners):eek: Between grinding and glassing the holes and body work you would be shocked how many hours it took me. Needless to say I was taken back by the amount of time it took me.

Learn procedures first start small and work up to larger jobs to minumise blunders.

Steve. C. :usa2:

Hammertime Mike 02-25-2009 12:35 PM

BODY FLEX-before taking that project off the frame,especially a conv. add braces to help support the body from changing its shape.If you don't , you won't like your new body lines!

vamman1 02-25-2009 12:44 PM

That Rocker Guard can hide an incredible amount of rust and rot.
Still working on the previous owner's voodoo doll.....

Just throw money at it, it'll work out. :(

helmerrock 02-25-2009 02:00 PM

First blunder..Restoring the same car three times until I got it right..then selling it

Second blunder...Buying a basket case just because I love the challenge!!

hottrodd 02-25-2009 02:46 PM

it was not a gto, but when i was 23 just out of college, I bought a rust free 57 chevy 1/2 truck, to make into a hotrod, trusted A bodyshop down the road to to a good paint job, he said he would do it for about 1/3 less than anyone else, ended up having to have they paint stripped off & repainted @ another shop. so it ended up costing me twice as much to have it painted right...... my advice, spend the money & have it painted @ a shop with a good rep & quick turn around just once the first time!!!!:usa2:

sdx455 02-25-2009 05:28 PM

Decided to detail the trunk after car was painted . you know cleanup welds and paint with splatter paint. So I grinded down the welds from the quarter panel patches .did seam sealer and painted, the trunk came out excellent .Then when washing the car I noticed the lower outside quarters were I grinded and it had bubbled and blistered the 6k paint job

mike nixon 02-25-2009 08:58 PM

Trusting someone else to do the work and then not checking up on how they did it.

The rest should be obvious.

Mike

I had to add one other experience.

buying a Scuff and Shoot quality endura from a seller in Jeffersonville IN that turned out to be be a rotten peice of junk. If you can't hold it in your hand don't buy it!

turbo69bird 02-25-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdx455 (Post 3577996)
Decided to detail the trunk after car was painted . you know cleanup welds and paint with splatter paint. So I grinded down the welds from the quarter panel patches .did seam sealer and painted, the trunk came out excellent .Then when washing the car I noticed the lower outside quarters were I grinded and it had bubbled and blistered the 6k paint job

That sucks!!!

Zoojelly 02-26-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-bird2 (Post 3577374)
Bought a rust bucket.
didn't have a bank account in the high six or 7 figure zone.
installed a repop partial quarter and spent untold hours--in the hundreds -- trying to make it look nice. now i just want to rip it off, 10 years and the car still isn't painted mainly because of that quarter--and money.

doing this now, What doesn't help is trying to get by with a cheap mig or gas welder

Forrest 02-26-2009 10:01 AM

forgot to hang the front clip to test fit before painting, jeez that was a pisser. That was one of the first cars I did a decade or so ago, what a job to fix the alignment issues after I painted the front clip!

Forrest 02-26-2009 10:03 AM

Not to mention, always let your epoxy primer completely dry before applying the high build primer , don't ask

Forrest 02-26-2009 10:05 AM

oh one more, make sure your paint gun lid is COMPLETLY on before you start spraying! again , don't ask

NoMoCEO 02-26-2009 10:20 AM

Using an un-tried HVLP gun and a brand of paint you've never used before for the first time.

Shot the primer with my trusty old Binks Siphon Feed. Should have stayed with it. Trying to keep up with the times. Still don't like the HVLP!

shawn e. 02-26-2009 10:44 AM

Skimping on my k38, then spending months sanding only to realize I am going to have to spray again because I sanded through to my epoxy.

Shawn

Hammertime Mike 02-26-2009 12:42 PM

Nothing nicer than your second coat of clear on your hood getting a glob of clear from your paintgun lid.I've since went with liners!

Region Warrior 02-26-2009 02:05 PM

Thinking you can do it on a small budget with basic tools.

Rugratman 02-26-2009 02:26 PM

Thinking that a body man knows what a calender is......:mad:

Double everything they tell you.

PLAY400 02-26-2009 06:03 PM

Putting too much $$ up front. Now I just supply the parts or pay for the actual pieces they have ordered and received. Helps get the work done properly in a timely manner.

When buying on line don't believe a piece is nice if the seller beaks off "you'd have to be anal to find fault with it". Find that quote is usually followed by a package contain a part that is in worse shape than the 1 you want to replace.

Don't believe the pictures were bad because of this, that or the other problems with the camera.

Don't believe the new repo part will match your original piece.

Tempest 02-26-2009 06:35 PM

When painting the hood, roof, and trunk lid, after the surface was all tacked and clean, I couldn't understand where all the water was coming from. Then it hit me, sweat was dripping out of my canister paint mask onto the car. Doh! (luckily for me it was only primer).

Forrest 02-27-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime Mike (Post 3578949)
Nothing nicer than your second coat of clear on your hood getting a glob of clear from your paintgun lid.I've since went with liners!

Yea, I needed to stop thinking about sex when painting :attention:

scott mills 02-27-2009 04:16 PM

Not tacking the rear quarters together before removing the tail pannel. Being in a hurry!