PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   What did you do with your Pontiac today? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868583)

67drake 08-13-2023 05:18 PM

What did you do with your Pontiac today?

1 Attachment(s)
There’s a running thread over on the HAMB similar to this, but my GTO is off topic over there.
Actually it was yesterday, but…… Since I’ve spent countless hours getting my ‘71 GTO roadworthy after a 5 year nap in my pole barn, my wife (who is definitely a old car lover) and I are taking trips. We venture out a little father each time as I build trust in its roadwortyness.
Yesterday we went on a 160 mile cruise through the country, including crossing over the Wisconsin River at Merrimack on the free ferry. It didn’t miss a beat, though I have a laundry list of things still needing attention.
So what did you do?

jabgolfcars 08-13-2023 05:30 PM

I'm doing a total re-wire on my 69 T/A. Just wrapped up the dash & interior today (among some other odds & ends

PAUL K 08-13-2023 06:14 PM

Nice! It was a 108° today.... I looked at the blue car in the garage when I walked to the shop to measure for a nitrous line for the red car. Thought about taking the Super Duty to Buccees with the dog for an Icee and decided not to.

Glad you are enjoying your Pontiac. That's why we have them.

will slow gto 08-13-2023 06:28 PM

Nice 71! Glad you were able to waken it from its slumber. I took a 1 hour drive (on Saturday) up to the foothills and back down again with my wife. Got a wave from a guy driving an XKE coupe which was kind of cool since my GTO is Mayfair maize and the Jag was a very similar color. It had been 3 weeks since I last drove it which is longer than I like letting it sit.

Keith Seymore 08-13-2023 06:56 PM

Woodward Dream Cruise month here in the Motor City (the official event is this Saturday).

Gotta pull the trans from the race car then hit the streets in the GP.

K

71GP76TA 08-13-2023 06:59 PM

Today?? I put a new coil and plugs in my 2+2.. Didn't fix the problem. :(

Greg Reid 08-13-2023 07:10 PM

I have a drag-off coming for a few days and wanted to take advantage of the ability to get rid of things that are too large to toss in the garbage. I have a pretty clean and straight bumper in the basement but it won't go on for a while.
It actually kick-started my excitement about this car. I think it's time has come. Going to pull the front clip and go from there.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6b77cd0692.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...364da627ee.jpg

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

WQ59B 08-13-2023 07:46 PM

Disconnected all my new SS brake lines in the rear to install copper crush washers because the gol' dang Inline Tube flares looked pretty rough/gouged on a number of them.
Slipped the new tailpipes in over the axle, reinstalled the cleaned/painted original gas tank & hooked up the electric & new fuel line there. Another few item checked off.

DOC 08-13-2023 07:48 PM

Drove it down the interstate and attended caffeine and coffee yesterday morning.

tom s 08-13-2023 07:52 PM

Drove thee 69 bird to Donuts yesterday AM,changed the oil and filter on the 421 SD Lemans today.Will change the oil and filter on the 69 Bird tomorrow.Tom

beemergary 08-13-2023 09:20 PM

Took the 61 tempest wagon 421sd 4 speed off the hoist and replaced it with the 63 tempest 421sd to change back to 3.90 from 4.10. Shoulda took the 67 GTO on a road trip but felt old and tired.

carcrazy 08-13-2023 09:37 PM

Went to start my 67 GTO that has been sitting for a few years, Poured in some gas and it came out as fast as it went in. The tank wasn't that old but upon inspection there was a dime sized rust hole. So looks like time for a new tank!

gtospieg 08-13-2023 09:43 PM

A week ago... but we took the 67 on a 495 mile trip and got 20.6mpg! Pretty happy with that.

fyrffytr1 08-13-2023 10:23 PM

Drove mine to a cruise-in about twenty miles from here. It was 80 degrees when I got there and 96 when I left three hours later. Oh yeah, my battery put me down when I tried to leave. Had to boost it with my Noco booster. Taking it to the battery store tomorrow.

b-man 08-13-2023 11:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A week ago…..put my new (almost 8 years ago) 421 HO in my Le Mans.

I move slowly. :old:

kingbuzzo 08-13-2023 11:51 PM

Drove to harvestfest, fam had meltdown halfway there, rained all the way home but still worth it lol

Lemans64 08-14-2023 12:21 AM

Put on 300 miles over the weekend, and 250 in fuel, LOL. It's expensive up here in Canada. 9.50 for a US gallon of high test Chevron. 94 octane.
Have to give it a rest for a few days, another busy weekend coming up. 95* up here and she stayed in the 180 range so she behaved.

gto4ben 08-14-2023 02:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
What did I do today? I rebuilt some 67 GTO spare vacuum operated throttle return checks that had broken diaphragms using good donors.

Jeff Hamlin 08-14-2023 06:50 AM

HOT HOT HOT

5 Attachment(s)
This time of year is not ideal, between the touron invasion and the humidity/heat, anything I do now is very early or late.

I took in some weekend Cars & Coffee over in Old Town and tucked it back in by 2.

Drive'em if you can!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2e8d6d80_c.jpg

george kujanski 08-14-2023 09:32 AM

Getting ready for a fresh 4 speed and clutch install.

George

tooski 08-14-2023 09:32 AM

Not today, but the past week. Installed the 408 back into the 68 after changing pistons, and fired it up.

JLBIII 08-14-2023 09:40 AM

We took a 64 mile trip in our 68 Firebird to get some ice cream. Good time for sure!

Skidmark 08-14-2023 09:45 AM

Finished my newly built garage recently. Still getting use to having indoor work space. Feels good. This past week I took the headlight assembly apart to clean and install new headlights. Also started removing vinyl top trim.

FirebirdHank 08-14-2023 10:33 AM

We had our church picnic/car show yesterday. I'm part of the "committee" so it was a work day. Weather was partly sunny and mild, perfect for a show. I had to get there early (6:00) and my wife doesn't drive the Solstice so I took it. Mary followed later with the Firebird. We had a total of 267 cars with just about every make/model represented. Had both cars home and in their beds by 6:30 p.m. then out to dinner with the rest of the crew. A long day but good day.

4dblnkldude 08-14-2023 10:05 PM

Today.. received exhaust manifolds and fit them to a mock up engine I have.

MUSLCAH 08-14-2023 10:26 PM

I drove mine today....it wasn’t raining for a change

Skidmark 08-15-2023 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcrazy (Post 6447426)
Went to start my 67 GTO that has been sitting for a few years, Poured in some gas and it came out as fast as it went in. The tank wasn't that old but upon inspection there was a dime sized rust hole. So looks like time for a new tank!

Sent you a pm.

geeteeohguy 08-15-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-man (Post 6447443)
A week ago…..put my new (almost 8 years ago) 421 HO in my Le Mans.

I move slowly. :old:

No kidding. I've been watching this car for YEARS now. Pretty much gave up.

Helped a friend with his GTO that had been sitting 20 years not running.....he was 15 years younger than I at the time (37 and I was 52) and he said he'd get to it one of these days, that most of the men in his family lived into their 90's, so there was no rush. I got my foot up his ass and we had the car running and on the road in about a year. He's been enjoying it with his family for the past 8 years or so. He's now almost 48. Time waits for no one.

67drake 08-15-2023 05:41 PM

When I got my car on the road last fall, it had been sitting for 5 years. First attempt to start it- no spark. I threw a set of points in and gapped them. Bingo!
Months later I checked the dwell and it was a little off, so I tweaked it in. Never did double check the timing again.
I had been noticing some surging while cruising over the weekend, so finally got around to checking the timing last night. 16 initial! Supposed to be at 12. I put it back where it should be. No time to really road test yet.

b-man 08-15-2023 06:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by geeteeohguy (Post 6447846)
No kidding. I've been watching this car for YEARS now. Pretty much gave up.

Helped a friend with his GTO that had been sitting 20 years not running.....he was 15 years younger than I at the time (37 and I was 52) and he said he'd get to it one of these days, that most of the men in his family lived into their 90's, so there was no rush. I got my foot up his ass and we had the car running and on the road in about a year. He's been enjoying it with his family for the past 8 years or so. He's now almost 48. Time waits for no one.

During the past 5 years I’ve brought 2 of my old VW Type 2s (panel bus and pickup) back from 26 years of slumber. The panel took 1-1/2 years of my spare time and the pickup took about a year. I let them sit that long because of my new interest, the Pontiac hobby. :)

Presently switching back and forth between the Le Mans and my 1957 bug project which is a complete body off the floor pan redo. I can’t seem to focus on just one, I have too many different interests and car styles that I like. My LS3 Tempest sits under a cover next to the Le Mans patiently waiting its turn.

The best thing about the car hobby is they don’t complain and just sit silently until they get attention again.

I never give up, I just keep too many irons in the fire. :D

Dennis H. 08-15-2023 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto4ben (Post 6447454)
What did I do today? I rebuilt some 67 GTO spare vacuum operated throttle return checks that had broken diaphragms using good donors.

Can't remember ever seeing one of those on a GTO before.

BB70 08-15-2023 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had this wrapped in plastic while painting the loose parts. Cleaned up the garage some and took the plastic off so I can get block sanding on this now.

WQ59B 08-17-2023 06:54 PM

Got the rebuilt brake booster back on, secured the front cross brake line, and futzed with retro-fitting the lines to the new MC (went from single to dual). No damned room between the MC and the fenderwell; impossible to ever bend anything tight enough, so on a wild goose chase for something I've never seen before- a 90-degree hydraulic fitting that'll work.

4dblnkldude 08-17-2023 09:56 PM

I installed two u joints in the driveshaft I'm using for the 70 rear end swap. Springs from Eaton will be here tomorrow.

67drake 08-17-2023 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kinda cheating, as this is my sons ‘94 Chevy truck. He’s working on the rear end and wanted me to double check the pattern on his used gears, so sent me pics. I taught my sons how to check patterns and set up rear ends. Gotta pass this info on to the next generation or they’ll spend all their time playing video games.

goats2quick 08-17-2023 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
drove the 69 ,for the first time in a couple of years.
found the master cyl needs replacment.
ordered one from our host.

Dave R 08-17-2023 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the day with Dad in the garage working on getting the 75 Trans Am running. We were missing a bunch of parts so started cleaning up and magically found just about everything we needed. We’re trying to get it running just using what we have on hand. Next to go in is the transmission now that we found a torque converter.

redbird68 08-18-2023 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New tires and shocks on TATA. What a difference!
Had 13 yr old tires and decades old shocks.
My first set of MT's, really like the look. 245 front, 255 rear. Bilstein B6 shocks now at all 4 corners.
Ride is fantastic, huge difference.
While I had it on the lift I found many other things to do. Bought the car ten yrs ago and driven sparingly since, my wife now wants it as 'her' car for more daily driving so many things to do to make it safe and dependable.

wase 08-18-2023 09:36 AM

GTO week

I only have time to look at my Pontiacs lately. Last weekend I drove up to Sunderland VT. to see the VSCCA Hillclimb at MT Equinox. Lots of vintage sporty cars there.
On the way home I stopped at the Wal-Mart in Bennington and picked up 6 quarts of Shell Rotella T-4 to perform an oil change on the Old Goat. Also filled a 5 gallon gas can with Ethanol Free High Test at the Stewart's Shop in Hillsdale to gas up the Goat when ever It comes out of hibernation next. Hopefully soon...

72projectbird 08-18-2023 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Went for a cruise early this morning and ran some errands before the torrential rain moved in.

67drake 08-18-2023 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redbird68 (Post 6448429)
New tires and shocks on TATA. What a difference!
Had 13 yr old tires and decades old shocks.
My first set of MT's, really like the look. 245 front, 255 rear. Bilstein B6 shocks now at all 4 corners.
Ride is fantastic, huge difference.
While I had it on the lift I found many other things to do. Bought the car ten yrs ago and driven sparingly since, my wife now wants it as 'her' car for more daily driving so many things to do to make it safe and dependable.

Tell me about it! I put new shocks and replaced the ancient tires on mine too, a few weeks back. Think the fronts were due?

Keith Seymore 08-18-2023 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heading out to Woodward in a few minutes.

Beautiful day here today; pretty evening Wednesday night, rain last night.

K

Ken MacNicol 08-18-2023 12:34 PM

Raced it

ta6point6 08-18-2023 05:12 PM

I finally got the brake light to go off in dash on TA. Finally got the isolation valve re-centered in proportioning valve. I was making it way harder then it had to be. I just had to open up the front bleeder screw (the fronts had pressure) and push on the brake pedal kind of hard and I heard it pop back. Still have to bleed brakes but it was getting to hot by then. Oh well still feel like I accomplished something

jerry455 08-19-2023 06:17 PM

Just got back from driving it on Woodward today. What a beautiful day, upper 70's, low humidity and plenty of sun.

MUSLCAH 08-19-2023 09:04 PM

Watched it rain on the covered pontiacs in the driveway ....2 days in a row. ..But that’s not the record this summah.... 8 days straight of measurable rain.

1/2 the car shows have been rained out. A suck summah

WQ59B 08-19-2023 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WQ59B (Post 6448302)
Got the rebuilt brake booster back on, secured the front cross brake line, and futzed with retro-fitting the lines to the new MC (went from single to dual). No damned room between the MC and the fenderwell; impossible to ever bend anything tight enough, so on a wild goose chase for something I've never seen before- a 90-degree hydraulic fitting that'll work.

Bought a $10 brake line plier, was able to bend the lines to clear the fenderwell- so all all lines are finished. Have to replace the (incorrect) Inline Tube front hoses, then the hydraulic system will be 100% new.

4dblnkldude 08-20-2023 09:20 AM

I installed leaf springs and entire rear assembly, put the drum brakes together, and start putting gear oil in. Just got to bleed brakes and put in another qt of gear oil today. Then road test to see what I messed up. LOL

carcrazy 08-20-2023 11:55 AM

Took the 62, 4 speed car out for a 25 mile run. Nothing like going through the gears on a full size, 4 speed car! Got a few 67 GTO projects going on today.....new gas tank install is at the top of the list as I didn't get to it last week. Also replacing the negative battery cable with a 2 ga. instead of the standard 4 ga.

72projectbird 08-20-2023 12:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went to Lowes this morning