PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   Interesting '72 GTOs & LeMans . . . (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677420)

PB 10-18-2011 10:22 PM

yeah, thanks for the pics Chris...that lucy blue car is Bad Azz!

Lloyd-TX 10-19-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boss (Post 4444103)
I went looking for some pictures for PB tonight & came across this one.....anybody local know who's it is?

Lucy Blue whale striped post car w/ the 'tail - WOWZA! Gorgeous, and I have NO idea whose it is.

Anyone?

PS - note the incorrect sport mirrors, but who cares?

OVERULD 10-19-2011 12:19 PM

Power Steering, Drum Brakes, Bench Seat, Formula Wheel, Hood Tach, 4-speed...Love to see the PHS on that car. You wonder who/how these things got ordered.

Chris was that a two-tone interior with the white on the door panel? Any more interior pics?

BJ

Lloyd-TX 10-19-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVERULD (Post 4444599)
Power Steering, Drum Brakes, Bench Seat, Formula Wheel, Hood Tach, 4-speed...Love to see the PHS on that car. You wonder who/how these things got ordered.

Chris was that a two-tone interior with the white on the door panel? Any more interior pics?

BJ

True, BJ - but one never knows without a build sheet or invoice.

Seeing those sport mirrors makes me wonder what other "options" have been added. Like the HO engine, or . . . ?

'ol Pinion head 10-19-2011 12:48 PM

Looks like an option adder to me. way too busy for a post car. Ducktail spoiler, sport mirrors... hood tach, wasn't it dealer only install for '72? The std door panels with a black vinyl seat should be black. Unless someone shows me a trim code, and a lot of documentation, I don't buy the mix & match. My Dad & I tried several times in the 70's to special order a few cars with mix & match bucket seat interiors, with no luck, & that's going through zone, knowing the zone manager, & reps, & having a priority 1 order.

What's the deal on core support filler? Non a/c's 455's & 455HO's come with them in '72?
Did one have to order Heavy Duty Cooling to get the filler panel on a non a/c 4spd '72 HO A-body?

Lloyd-TX 10-19-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head (Post 4444628)
Looks like an option adder to me. way too busy for a post car. Ducktail spoiler, sport mirrors... hood tach, wasn't it dealer only install for '72? The std door panels with a black vinyl seat should be black. Unless someone shows me a trim code, and a lot of documentation, I don't buy the mix & match. My Dad & I tried several times in the 70's to special order a few cars with mix & match bucket seat interiors, with no luck, & that's going through zone, knowing the zone manager, & reps, & having a priority 1 order.

What's the deal on core support filler? Non a/c's 455's & 455HO's come with them in '72?
Did one have to order Heavy Duty Cooling to get the filler panel on a non a/c 4spd '72 HO A-body?

Agreed, Roger. It's an "option adder". Still would like to see the invoice . . . or at least a VIN - with the "X".

Door trim panels are white lowers with black uppers? Weird.

About that radiator support filler - it seems that I recall that all A/C cars + all HOs got 'em?

'ol Pinion head 10-19-2011 01:20 PM

On the core support fillers I'm more attuned to '71 usage. I've seen so many early '71 455 D-port & 455HO cars restored with the repro filler panel (when it wasn't even avail) that's it usage on a later production no a/c 455 cars just sets off bells.

OVERULD 10-19-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head (Post 4444658)
On the core support fillers I'm more attuned to '71 usage. I've seen so many early '71 455 D-port & 455HO cars restored with the repro filler panel (when it wasn't even avail) that's it usage on a later production no a/c 455 cars just sets off bells.

Roger - while we're on the subject of the filler panels on 71 cars, give me some input please sir. My car is a Fremont, 09C that didn't ship until 12/14 because of the strike. 455 H.O., Ram Air, AC, 4-speed. I've added the filler panel on mine. Wasn't on it when I or any previous owners (Mike/Don/??) had the car but I added it to help with cooling for the drive to Dayton for the Co-Vention and sort of like the way it looks. (Makes a great place to lay tools) What say ye? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

BJ

The Boss 03-22-2012 07:50 AM

T-41 Wagon on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...7;3AMEWAX%3AIT

Lloyd-TX 03-22-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boss (Post 4585631)

Nicely optioned wagon. 'Twas a nice car when new.

Not so much now - too much rot for my tastes.

'ol Pinion head 03-22-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVERULD (Post 4444914)
Roger - while we're on the subject of the filler panels on 71 cars, give me some input please sir. My car is a Fremont, 09C that didn't ship until 12/14 because of the strike. 455 H.O., Ram Air, AC, 4-speed. I've added the filler panel on mine. Wasn't on it when I or any previous owners (Mike/Don/??) had the car but I added it to help with cooling for the drive to Dayton for the Co-Vention and sort of like the way it looks. (Makes a great place to lay tools) What say ye? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

BJ

Missed your earlier post. BJ, your '71 HO car being one of the ones that the painted body was caught in the strike, most likely didn't come with the filler originally. It wouldn't surprise me though, if finally assembly for this Fremont build wasn't till after the plant fired back up in November. I can't really see the problem of it having the filler today. If it was an 08C-09A body & def built before the strike, I can see it getting dinked at Nationals. Am looking forward to the day, GTOAA rolls out Platinum class Concours judging. Even then, if the rest of the detailing was dead nuts on, I can't imagine you getting an argument on the filler.

OVERULD 03-22-2012 03:28 PM

Thanks Roger - appreciate your input. It makes a great place to lay tools!

BJ

The Boss 03-22-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVERULD (Post 4585986)
Thanks Roger - appreciate your input. It makes a great place to lay tools!

BJ

Or a beer...:rolleyes:

OVERULD 03-22-2012 04:37 PM

Bingo!!

'ol Pinion head 03-22-2012 04:38 PM

In the old days, owners used to haphazardly lay their burning cigarettes on the fillers :(
Searched high & low for a really nice original for my good friends '70 WT7 Judge.

JLHarper 03-22-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head (Post 4586050)
In the old days, owners used to haphazardly lay their burning cigarettes on the fillers :(
Searched high & low for a really nice original for my good friends '70 WT7 Judge.

Thats right on.....or an old style metal trouble light with no light bulb cage. Where did they always go to bty? :o

One member just burned / ruined his OE 67 rear floor mat, I read.

Jeff

james47 03-24-2012 08:50 AM

In 1972, Pontiac designed a rear spoiler for their Lemans and GTO models,
a design copied from their popular Firebird Formula and Trans Am models.
Dubbed a "ducktail spoiler", Pontiac intended to offered this spoiler as an
option, but as luck would have it, the mold for the spoiler broke after only
a handful of spoilers were made, and the excessive cost of creating a new
mold was not deemed feasible, so Pontiac simply deleted the option. Only
a couple cars were rumored to have been built with the spoiler, and the
remaining spoilers Pontiac had produced were unceremoniously dumped
into the parts bins. Unfortunately, Super Stock Magazine printed an article
late in the model year (March 1972) of a Lemans GT using the ducktail
spoiler, an option which had already been deleted from Pontiac's 1972
options list.

keith k 03-31-2018 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was cleaning out some old files today and stumbled across this large glossy promo photo from Pontiac of a '72 LeMans GT w/ ducktail spoiler. I have no idea when (other than a long time ago...) or why I got it, since I've never owned a '72 A-Body. Looking at what it was adjacent to in my file (a glossy of a '77 Can Am... of which I did once own one), I think it may have been inadvertently sent in the package for that car.

marxjunk 03-31-2018 09:46 PM

option adder has wrong shifter too..thats a 69 back..people think all GTOs have the "hook" type shifter in bench seat cars......the...70-72 uses the same shifter thru all models..bench...buckets no console...console etc...the more ya look at it the more its inconsistent...

BUT..id love to have it, and wouldnt change a thing...:D