PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   SD455 changes hands (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742812)

necdb3 08-20-2014 11:00 AM

Trust me when I say I'm not trying to argue with the thought but At shows, I've seen people get pretty wound up when they don't win the stupid trophy in there class. I'd hate to be the judge of a show in that class.

Some idiot would be screaming that there the only one with that car with those aftermarket wheels in existance.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Navarro (Post 5257304)
I could care less how the car would be classed..........LOL!!

The current owner has the only '73 SD455 T/A sunroof car in existance.

The 1st place award is....... THE CAR!!!

Nuff said. :D

pontiacrazy 08-20-2014 11:10 AM

Gorgeous car!

Larry Navarro 08-20-2014 11:43 AM

.....Never liked car shows. ;)

njsteve 08-20-2014 01:00 PM

Same here - the winner is the guy who gets to go home with the car at the end of the show.

starlightblack 08-20-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge273 (Post 5257239)

He's not big on paragraphs is he...

weranc55 08-20-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdutybob (Post 5257320)
This is an interesting question. I used to place cars in classes at the T/A Nats. Not judging but teching, so that equal cars are classes together. A lot of people used to use the term "dealer installed" for things such as chrome valve covers and the like. We considered it a modification. It has to come out of Norwood or Van Nuys like that or it's a mod. A body modification such as a sunroof would jump the car right to the Heavy Mod class. It would be a nearly impossible class to win with a "stock" car with a sunroof.

I'm glad I'm not working tech. So my macho T/A with sidepipes would not make it to the stock class. LOL

bird72 08-20-2014 03:21 PM

Dealer installed things when car brand new are a tough one, but then rivet on body side moldings could be considered original also which is wrong. ASC sun roof? Heck I could argue both ways, but lean towards modified.

njsteve 08-20-2014 03:46 PM

Sunroofs were factory installed, subcontracted mods. Unfortunately GM didn't code them in a way that left a paper trail. My old 1971 Hemi Charger was a factory ASC sunroof car. Drop-shipped from the Lynch Road Assembly Plant to ASC and then back to the plant for delivery. At least Chrysler corp had the sense back then to stamp the code on the fender tag. Having seen the sunroof details on Larry's old car I can definitively say that the exact same ASC parts were on my Charger, down to the Bosch brand toggle switch in the molded headliner pod and the drain tubes used to route the water down into in the quarters.

Larry Navarro 08-20-2014 04:58 PM

That's exactly right.
Matter of fact I obtained a replacement BOSCH switch several years ago from a ASC parts retailer who was a former ASC employee during the sunroof installs.
The old switch bezel had deteriorated and broke apart so I replaced it.

keith k 08-20-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsteve (Post 5257509)
Sunroofs were factory installed, subcontracted mods. Unfortunately GM didn't code them in a way that left a paper trail. My old 1971 Hemi Charger was a factory ASC sunroof car. Drop-shipped from the Lynch Road Assembly Plant to ASC and then back to the plant for delivery. At least Chrysler corp had the sense back then to stamp the code on the fender tag. Having seen the sunroof details on Larry's old car I can definitively say that the exact same ASC parts were on my Charger, down to the Bosch brand toggle switch in the molded headliner pod and the drain tubes used to route the water down into in the quarters.

Curious... did the sunroof appear as an option on the order form, or in factory service literature, for either the Firebird or the Charger?

To me, that's what defines "factory option".

I'm assuming it did for the Charger, if it was on the fender tag.

njsteve 08-21-2014 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't have the original window sticker for the hemi Charger but the original broadcast sheet had a specific block for "Sunroof" and there was a code number in that block. "H51" if I recall correctly.

Here's a shot of the car back in 1988.

The Boss 08-21-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Navarro (Post 5257304)
I could care less how the car would be classed..........LOL!!

The current owner has the only '73 SD455 T/A sunroof car in existance.

The 1st place award is....... THE CAR!!!

Nuff said. :D

I'm sure it's here on the board someplace Larry but which ASC location installed your sunroof? Mine was done at the Paramount, CA location which was only 5 miles from the dealership in Bellflower.

Larry Navarro 08-21-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith k (Post 5257751)
Curious... did the sunroof appear as an option on the order form, or in factory service literature, for either the Firebird or the Charger?

To me, that's what defines "factory option".

I'm assuming it did for the Charger, if it was on the fender tag.

The sunroof option was featured in the "GM options brochure". However, the only cars noted to have the sunroof were the "A-body" and "G-body".

I also have information in factory service literature that lists an option code for the "F-body" as having the sunroof, even though it wasn't featured in the brochure.

Defining "factory option" is left up to interpretation.

Larry Navarro 08-22-2014 09:44 PM

turning out SUPERduty.....

http://www.wingsautoart.com/projects/73ta_sd_455/

The Boss 08-23-2014 07:56 AM

Great Website & an even better shop - thanks for posting the link Larry.

necdb3 08-23-2014 08:04 AM

Car looks fantastic

Firebird 2 08-25-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsteve (Post 5257414)
Same here - the winner is the guy who gets to go home with the car at the end of the show.

I agree!!

Firebird 2 08-25-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdutybob (Post 5257320)
This is an interesting question. I used to place cars in classes at the T/A Nats. Not judging but teching, so that equal cars are classes together. A lot of people used to use the term "dealer installed" for things such as chrome valve covers and the like. We considered it a modification. It has to come out of Norwood or Van Nuys like that or it's a mod. A body modification such as a sunroof would jump the car right to the Heavy Mod class. It would be a nearly impossible class to win with a "stock" car with a sunroof.

LMFAO!

Larry Navarro 08-25-2014 01:35 PM

.........:D

Larry Navarro 08-26-2014 10:13 AM

A few noted "rare unveilings" at this years MCACN's.....

Could the "1 of 1" sunroof superduty be an addition to the lineup?

EXACT SCHEDULE OF 2014 UNVEILINGS TBA

1969 Pontiac Trans Am Prototype, Shown by Curt Richards, Lexington, Kentucky

1970 Plymouth 426 Hemi Superbird, Restored by Magnum Auto Restoration, LaSalle, Illinois

1969 Camaro Indianapolis Official Pace Car #1, Restored by Level One Restorations of Arvada, Colorado

1969 Camaro Official Pace Car #2, Restored by Level One Restorations of Arvada, Colorado.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500 427 R-code Convertible, Shown by Dean Klein, North Oaks, Minnesota

1964 Cheetah Drag Racer, Shown by Clark Rand, Fairgrove, Missouri

1972 Pontiac Trans Am 1 of 1 "Adrian", Shown by Greg SanMarco, San Antonio, Texas