PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Project Phoenix, a 1964 Tempest rising from the ashes (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814778)

68WarDog 06-10-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64speed (Post 6348653)
Yes the light came on and it got to 230 today

David, Im not sure how far from you, but there's a shop called Classic Pontiac Rescue in Donald's SC. The owner is a member of the Palmetto Pontiac club with many knowledgeable members. Maybe by reaching out you could find some assistance.

64speed 06-10-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68WarDog (Post 6348659)
David, Im not sure how far from you, but there's a shop called Classic Pontiac Rescue in Donald's SC. The owner is a member of the Palmetto Pontiac club with many knowledgeable members. Maybe by reaching out you could find some assistance.

Yeah I sued him along with 4 other people :)

64speed 06-10-2022 06:53 PM

Ask Caster1 about CPR too. I was a deputy in Anderson County. I can tell you more than 4 horror stories

68WarDog 06-10-2022 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=64speed;6348665]Ask Caster1 about CPR too. I was a deputy in Anderson County. I can tell you more than 4 horror stories.

Wow he sounds like complete scum.Just saw his name pop up on the Palmetto club newsletter. Jesse Anderson and until a few years ago, Larry Snyder were also members, although I haven't touched base with them since Larry moved his shop.

grivera 06-18-2022 02:08 PM

Dave - any update on this filling system?

64speed 06-19-2022 06:24 PM

Nothing to report,I have been at the beach. Truthfully I am at a loss. I don’t want electric fans but I don’t know what to do.

64speed 06-21-2022 04:37 AM

I called Derale and ordered their best 16 inch fan. It’s supposed to cool at idle. Trying to avoid that big shroud setup that cold case sells I really don’t want all that under my hood. I got enough crap as it is. I’m not excited about the fan but I gotta do something

HWYSTR455 06-21-2022 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64speed (Post 6351096)
I called Derale and ordered their best 16 inch fan. It’s supposed to cool at idle. Trying to avoid that big shroud setup that cold case sells I really don’t want all that under my hood. I got enough crap as it is. I’m not excited about the fan but I gotta do something

Part number?

You really need to check your timing first, but since you already pulled the trigger...

grivera 06-21-2022 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64speed (Post 6351096)

Is a Mark VII fan to big?

64speed 06-21-2022 09:58 AM

Ok I have tried and tried to get help with my timing and I can’t get anyone over here. I know my initial should be between 12-15 when cranking. I have the factory bushings in it that came with the Summit ready to run of which they provide you no information. It runs better on full manifold vacuum at idle or cruise but that would be if it’s like an MSD almost 41 degrees of timing. If I back it off it’s starts running like crap.

grivera 06-21-2022 12:38 PM

Is help needed for technical knowledge? I ask cause I have short arms and adjust timing by myself. Also, are you saying you've tried and verified 15 initial and 10 VA (manifold) and it didn't help with idle temp?

64speed 06-21-2022 12:53 PM

I can’t see that great but I am pretty sure I’m on 13 initial. When I plug the vacuum advance and it’s just running whatever the distributor advance is it still creeps. Same with ported. If I put the vacuum on it it still creeps just much slower but I can’t get the summit guys to tell me how much advance the can adds. I’m 42 and have cataracts from Prednisone shots so it’s hard for me to see

Tom Vaught 06-21-2022 03:48 PM

I would suggest you send a PM to "Suntuned" & his dad and have them set up the distributor on their equipment properly for you. Worth the money to have them check it out on their distributor machine equipment.

Tom V.

77 TRASHCAN 06-21-2022 07:03 PM

Bob, is one of the "answer men", here, and period!!!

P@blo 06-22-2022 08:36 AM

Your engine is a distributor machine and paired with the information available you are in a good spot to figure things out for yourself. And you might save a few bucks and learn a bunch along the way.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/raci.../ignition-f21/

And any info posted by Tuner is very informative including quadrajets. Especially quadrajets. He also modifies HEI advance by bending at the pivot points of the weights. Very smart guy and would likely be the answer man to our answer men.

64speed 06-22-2022 09:23 AM

My nephew is coming this weekend. I am gonna curve the distributor with the kit that came with the distributor as close as I can to the engine builders specs. I also ordered two 12 inch fans and a relay kit. If that doesn’t fix it then I don’t know what.

64speed 06-23-2022 11:56 PM

I got all my parts today but it was just too hot to work. I did drive it about 60 miles and with the ac on at stoplights it would go up to 200 but I wasn’t at them long. Start moving again and it would go back to about 185. Will do all the work that needs to be done this weekend and report back.

Murf 06-24-2022 08:47 AM

Sounds like it’s cooling pretty well. If you don’t mind be asking, what temperature are you wanting to get to? Your car hasn’t ever boiled over has it?

Good luck!
Murf

JSchmitz 06-24-2022 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murf (Post 6351911)
Sounds like it’s cooling pretty well. If you don’t mind be asking, what temperature are you wanting to get to? Your car hasn’t ever boiled over has it?

Good luck!
Murf

I agree. I don't think you're ever gonna get this to idle, with the A/C on, and stay near 185. Maybe put it on E85 or methanol. lol I'd say you're lucky to stay near 200. You can throw it in neutral when you're stopped and rev the engine up slightly. This can have a dramatic affect on your temp. I know it's a pain. But it does work.

JSchmitz 06-24-2022 09:12 AM

I never considered A/C an option on my '64. It was all I could do to keep the 455 cool. I had it under control. But knew that air would put it out.