PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Is GM ready to kill Buick next? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862906)

Sirrotica 11-22-2022 04:31 PM

One guy was told that the rod and main bearings were superior by a salesman, chevy uses inferior bearings.....LMAO...:eek:

kingbuzzo 11-22-2022 05:29 PM

That's why I'm drawn to our beloved pontipigs, they are a bit fancier than the everyman cheby...just like GMC

A denali anything is way-fancy and Buick doesn't make as much sense as it used too.

The gigantic Chinese market is what they all want and we keep shopping at Walmart anyway.

It's a race to the bottom...the economy, the environment, our culture...etc etc :(

sdbob 11-22-2022 05:47 PM

I am very pleased with my 2015 GMC 2500. Just my opinion the GMC seems to have better looking interiors,fitment,materials,styling, gee just like a Pontiac. Hmm!

burd 11-22-2022 06:11 PM

GMC guys are a bunch of losers, they want to have with Pontiac guys, and shunned to be w/ trucks like theirs, just with less shiny plastic.
Like who wants to see pickups at the Pontiac Dustoff.

Sirrotica 11-22-2022 06:18 PM

GMC did get one thing right waaay back, 55-57, they put Pontiac engines in them....:thumbup:

will slow gto 11-22-2022 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponchjoe (Post 6388091)
Horsepower wars don’t exist any longer between brands….

Whatchu talkin ‘bout Willis?!?

Ford, Dodge, Chevy are all looking at how much horsepower GT350/500 Mustangs, Hellcats, Z06 Corvettes, ZL1 Camaros are making. And Ferrari is looking at how much power Lamborghini, McLaren, and Porsche are making, and Mercedes is looking at how much power Audi and BMW are making.

The only bummer is Pontiac isn’t in there to compete.

unruhjonny 11-22-2022 09:24 PM

/\ that post is about ten years late!
lol
Before Carroll passed (iirc it was when he test drove the pre-production 2012 GT500) he asked his staff when they would hit 1,000hp;
So in responce they made a limited run of 1,000hp Shelby Mustangs.

The Hellcat (I never did care for the name) held off on releasing hp numbers till the GT500 horsepower numbers were released;
and even then dynos were suggesting that the published number was a little low...
Then the Demon (I REALLY didn't care for that name either) blew it up...
since then, there have been no wars.

Through all that, GM (with the Camaro ZL1) seemed to always play second or third fiddle.

242177P 11-22-2022 09:36 PM

Buick? GMC? Who can forget the Syclone and Typhoon?

JUDGE3 11-22-2022 09:56 PM

buick name/rights/tooling will be sold to china.

I win the biggest lottery ever and buy the rights to pontiac and build all new Gto's and firebirds with 505 ci engines. no small car grocery getters with 4 banger turbos and such. no Australian Gto's, mandatory rename to monero.

I recall all firebirds with oldmobile engines and swap em back to the new cast iron 400 engine.

I recall all trans ams with the buick v6 and swap em to turbocharged 400's.

the aztec gets recalled and crushed. nvr happened.

all 1967 and up Gto's get free tripower installed.

all 1973 and up lemans/gto/grand am in that tail bodystyle get can am rear spoilers.

nas t eh 11-23-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUDGE3 (Post 6388498)
buick name/rights/tooling will be sold to china.

I win the biggest lottery ever and buy the rights to pontiac and build all new Gto's and firebirds with 505 ci engines. no small car grocery getters with 4 banger turbos and such. no Australian Gto's, mandatory rename to monero.

I recall all firebirds with oldmobile engines and swap em back to the new cast iron 400 engine.

I recall all trans ams with the buick v6 and swap em to turbocharged 400's.

the aztec gets recalled and crushed. nvr happened.

all 1967 and up Gto's get free tripower installed.

all 1973 and up lemans/gto/grand am in that tail bodystyle get can am rear spoilers.

Nice dream, I’m with you.

In reality though Elon Musk buys the rights to Pontiac after they kick him out at Tesla.
He revives the GTO, Firebird, Solstice as electric beasts capable of 8 sec. 1/4 mile runs and road course champs that drive like electric go carts.

:gag:

unruhjonny 11-23-2022 12:45 PM

the only real problem with the Aztek, was that it was too far ahead of the market.
They were stylish for their time, and looked much better when they got painted bumpers.
They were a crossover before the segment existed - look at the market place now - there are almost no "cars", all you see on the roads are crossovers, SUV's, or trucks... with the odd pony-car to boot.

Any time Pontiac stuck it's neck out to do something different, it is something worth noting;
Pontiac stuck it's neck out with that one - really far.

I'd suggest that the "Street Heat" G6's should all be wiped from our collective memory;
I honestly considered buying a G6 GTP v6/6spd - to me both incarnations of the G6 GXP's were poseur cars.

kingbuzzo 11-23-2022 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=JUDGE3;6388498]buick name/rights/tooling will be sold to china.

I support your lotto dream...but doesn't that new camaro converting T/A shop own the Trans Am rights now?

unruhjonny 11-23-2022 02:14 PM

I do believe that Pontiac never had the rights the the "Trans Am" name;
They essentially paid to use it.

Sirrotica 11-23-2022 02:26 PM

SCCA was paid for each Trans Am made, they owned the name, and the series,
I assume they still do. Chrysler avoided that surcharge by calling their cars T/A, abbreviating it.

unruhjonny 11-23-2022 02:37 PM

yeah I think I read that the SCCA almost exclusively survived because of those payments.

kingbuzzo 11-23-2022 03:23 PM

Maybe they just licensed the brand or it was marketing hype:

https://transamflorida.com/aboutUS.htm

Tom Vaught 11-23-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unruhjonny (Post 6388489)
/\ that post is about ten years late!
lol
Before Carroll passed (iirc it was when he test drove the pre-production 2012 GT500) he asked his staff when they would hit 1,000hp;
So in response they made a limited run of 1,000hp Shelby Mustangs.

Carroll Shelby was a very unique guy. He suffered from ADS his whole lifetime. Always bouncing between projects.
He mentions that in one of his 4 videos on the web before his passing.

He asked his people because he saw one of Ford's pre-"Le Mans" 6 cylinder Twin Turbo 3.5L engines run on the Research Dynos.

That engine raced in 2016 and won.

His guys had a much harder task working with the belt driven stuff.

Tom V.

The Champ 11-24-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unruhjonny (Post 6388647)
the only real problem with the Aztek, was that it was too far ahead of the market.
They were stylish for their time, and looked much better when they got painted bumpers.
They were a crossover before the segment existed - look at the market place now - there are almost no "cars", all you see on the roads are crossovers, SUV's, or trucks... with the odd pony-car to boot.

This!

I was actually on a consumer advisory group for the Aztek several years before it was introduced.

Our daughter leased a first year Aztek and when the lease expired she actually purchased her second one, which she still owns, which looks like this one:

https://95octane.com/wp-content/uplo...ac_aztek_1.jpg

The new Mustang Mach E really isn't that much different styling wise.

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/f..._oem_1_600.jpg

mgarblik 11-24-2022 11:59 AM

Styling will always be purely subjective. As someone who had to repair these cars like the Aztek, I found the body hardware and interior pieces to be super cheap and delicate for a "utility vehicle". It had some good and some goofy interior features and it could be argued allot of features for the money. Mechanically, many, many more issues with electrical problems, pinched wires, terminals not fully seated, weird battery drains, failed modules, just poor chassis electrical than comparable models. Engines had all the problems associated with the 60 degree V-6 GM used for many years. Pulled, broken rocker arm attaching bolts, head gasket failures, coil pack failures because they mounted it to the exhaust manifold, fuel pressure regulator failures, valve cover leaks, water pump leaks, broken camshafts, all the usual stuff from that engine family. Very hard to make a case that this was some kind of transformational vehicle. It had the potential to be one, then GM took all the quality out of it as they often did during those years. Painting it a single color greatly improved the looks IMO. Before the "Breaking Bad" series, you could buy one in good condition for $600.00-800.00. They have some instant collector value now and are no longer a good beater buy. Seldom see one for under 2K now.
BTW, drove a Mach E with the biggest motors and batteries. Car is very fast, faster than 98% of the gas powered cars I have driven. Doesn't mean I like it. It drives very "heavy". It feels like the 6000 lb. car it is. Just not for me. Feels like your driving a video game, driver completely disconnected from what's happening outside the windows. Like driving an arcade game. They have a waiting list, so someone must like them. The one I drove was almost 90K. That buys allot of old Pontiac stuff!

nas t eh 11-24-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Champ (Post 6388889)

OK maybe the concept was ahead of its time. But that is an ugly vehicle from every angle. There is just no excuse for that.