PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Wix 51258 Discontinued (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871896)

rohrt 02-12-2024 04:33 PM

I just called WIX Customer Service: 800-949-6698

The 51258 is not discontinued, they were delayed in production is all. They said that all new orders requests have shipped.

phil400 02-12-2024 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohrt (Post 6485248)
I just called WIX Customer Service: 800-949-6698

The 51258 is not discontinued, they were delayed in production is all. They said that all new orders requests have shipped.

Alright then, it said "not available "on Summit website, I clicked the thing for them to notify me when it became available again, after over a month I received an email last week that it was Discontinued. I apologize if it's not the case wasn't my intent to spread misinformation.

Skidmark 02-13-2024 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil400 (Post 6485268)
Alright then, it said "not available "on Summit website, I clicked the thing for them to notify me when it became available again, after over a month I received an email last week that it was Discontinued. I apologize if it's not the case wasn't my intent to spread misinformation.

Great now I won't be able to eat lunch out this week since I bought 6 filters I thought were discontinued. Had 3 on the shelve. Now I'm hungry. Lol

ZeGermanHam 02-13-2024 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammer-6 (Post 6484726)
when storing them for a long time be aware they will rust inside.

Keep in a humidity controlled environment

Appreciate the heads-up. I suppose I'll store them in the house rather than the unheated shop space then.

Verdoro 68 02-13-2024 11:12 PM

FWIW, I received six 51258s today from Amazon and all are made in the USA - just like every other 51258 I've purchased over the last few years.

Holeshot71 02-15-2024 10:08 AM

Stopped by the local NAPA and out of curiosity I checked to see if they had any 1258 filters. They had one on the shelf. It had a purple rubber seal and the box said it was made in Vietnam. Someone posted a while back at the NAPA golds were all USA made. Doesn’t look like that’s the case anymore..

Steve C. 02-15-2024 11:08 AM

I bought a car part once that said made in China on the box.
Turned out the part itself was made in the US but was packaged in a box that that was sourced from China.

Sirrotica 02-15-2024 12:43 PM

It's been posted here before that WIX no longer makes the majority of NAPA filters as they have in the past 50 years. WIX was bought out by Mann/Hummel, a Geman manufacturer, that sources almost all their filters globally.

Some of the You tube warriors, that dissect filters on their videos have shown that some of the new filters from H/M are not of the same quality, or construction, as the older versions were. Previously the same last 4 numbers of WIX and NAPA filters were identical inside, that has changed.

Formerly if you couldn't get a WIX part, the NAPA version was identical, no longer the case.

Cliff R 02-16-2024 08:29 AM

"Stopped by the local NAPA and out of curiosity I checked to see if they had any 1258 filters. They had one on the shelf. It had a purple rubber seal and the box said it was made in Vietnam. Someone posted a while back at the NAPA golds were all USA made. Doesn’t look like that’s the case anymore."

I'm finding this more and more with automotive parts. Recently needed to replace the bearings in the idler and belt tensioner on my Nissan Xterra. To avoid paying several hundred dollars for OEM complete assemblies or buying crappy imported replacments I took the originals apart and got the part numbers off the bearings to source out good USA made replacement bearings for them.

I had no idea that 99 percent of the bearings made these days come from offshore and USA bearings are pretty much extinct. I found bearings all over the place, they were made in China, Taiwan, Poland, Japan and Italy. No USA made bearings readily available in the parts numbers I was looking for. The choices were from SKF, KOYO, Timken,NSK, NIN, BNL, NACHI and at least half a dozen others, but none were USA made and in many cases it was difficult to tell where they were coming from.

It appears from my research that nearly all bearings these days are "globaly sourced". Kind of interesting but one of my original bearings was USA made, the other from Taiwan. Since both lasted to the 100,000 mile mark and just needed some fresh grease I popped the plastic covers off of one end and cleaned/repacked them. This bought me some time and I was able to locate NOS USA made bearings to replace them, but for now just put them on the shelf as the repacking job is working well for the time being.

As this relates to oil filters in the past year or so several of the USA made filters I have been buying for my vehicles here (AC Delco) switch their manufacturing to China. I probably wouldn't have known except the filter on my XTerra is difficult to access and I have to reach in and give it a good twisting by hand as no tools I own will get near it. On the last oil change I dented in the housing it was so thin. So I pulled it back off and not only was the housing thinner than the USA made one removed it had a cheap plastic cage holding the filter element and plastic bypass valve. What a POS. I threw all the new ones out and went on a search for a well made filter.

Using an online cross-reference and Rock Autos excellent selection from worst to best for every vehicle they list I found that Baldwin/Hastings makes several filters to fit my application so I ordered a few of them. They are excellent quality, heavy metal contruction, metal cage holding the filter media and HD metal bypass valve/spring.

So for now I'm good to go, but like everyone else it's probably just a matter of time before the excellent Baldwin/Hastings filters end up coming in from offshore and not made as well as what they are currently marketing........FWIW......

Formulajones 02-16-2024 11:33 AM

I don't think you'll have to wait long Cliff, lol. As I posted earlier the Baldwins are already coming from Europe, Mexico, Australia, China, South Africa and Morocco according to a site search. This is pretty much the case with all filters, Wix included.

I suspect it's pretty much luck of the draw what you end up with depending on where a certain business gets their batch of supplies for that month. Oddly enough none of the searching I did found anything that claimed made in USA. It could be they are simply doing some small process here in the states after it comes off the boat, and then reboxing/branding said claim.

For what it's worth, I just ordered a dozen Wix filters from Rock Auto that are due here today. I'll report where they claim they are made when UPS gets here. I also plan to run up to Napa to grab some Napa Gold filters for Chevrolet today. I'll compare and report back.

Formulajones 02-16-2024 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirrotica (Post 6485977)
It's been posted here before that WIX no longer makes the majority of NAPA filters as they have in the past 50 years. WIX was bought out by Mann/Hummel, a Geman manufacturer, that sources almost all their filters globally.

Some of the You tube warriors, that dissect filters on their videos have shown that some of the new filters from H/M are not of the same quality, or construction, as the older versions were. Previously the same last 4 numbers of WIX and NAPA filters were identical inside, that has changed.

Formerly if you couldn't get a WIX part, the NAPA version was identical, no longer the case.

Not true, at least since I've cut them apart in the last couple months, they have been "THE SAME" and haven't changed in the 30 something years I've been cutting them.

Now if that changes with the next batch I'll be cutting apart here shortly, I'll report back, but I don't suspect I'll see anything different.

Of course our Napa is privately owned and not part of the chain, so they carry just a little bit different stuff than a regular Napa. Not sure if that makes a difference on Wix/Napa Gold filters though. I would assume that's from similar suppliers.

Formulajones 02-16-2024 11:46 AM

Of course where it comes from isn't really the issue for me. Everything we buy is this way now.

What is important is when I cut these things open I'm looking for differences in construction, material used etc... and as long as I'm seeing the same quality material and construction I really don't give a poop where it's coming from. The minute I see poor quality, I'll have to change brands at that point and look for something else, cut that open, rinse and repeat, until I find a good quality product. There are a few options out there ;)

mgarblik 02-16-2024 04:03 PM

My local NAPA store informed me a couple days ago that their NAPA Gold/Wix filters were on sale for about 1 more week. Deep discounts too, like 40%-60% off.

So I ordered a bunch of filters for my cars, equipment and family members cars. The 1258 filters we are talking about for our Pontiacs, I ordered 4 of. Less than $6.00 each. They have a mat black paint finish instead of the gloss black you may be familiar with. The rubber seal is red/pink color. The business end has a clear plastic cover over it. Made in China. The other 12 part numbers I ordered were all made in Mexico or China. None in the US. FWIW.

Formulajones 02-16-2024 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go, I just got back from buying a handfull of 1060 Napa Gold oil filters (Wix) and they all still come wrapped in plastic like they always have for years, and still say "made in USA" Not that it always means much these days but it's still printed on there none the less.

burd 02-16-2024 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_GTO (Post 6484680)

That’s a great deal. Like way better than Rock.

Formulajones 02-16-2024 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here are the Wix I ordered from Rock Auto. Same filter, only the sticker is changed for Napa and even that is laid out like Wix in same colors and description. These also say made in the USA. They aren't shrink wrapped in plastic though, just come in the box as is.

ZeGermanHam 02-16-2024 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burd (Post 6486333)
That’s a great deal. Like way better than Rock.

How do you figure? The Amazon listing is selling them for $89.99 for 12 including shipping but before tax. I placed an order through Rock Auto for 12 of them, which came out to $71.71 including shipping but before tax.

That boils down to the Amazon per-unit cost is $7.50/ea and Rock Auto is $5.98/ea, or roughly 21% cheaper at Rock Auto.

Skidmark 02-16-2024 06:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my 6 today from Rock 4.81 each half the price Amazon charges. Filter says made in USA.

ZeGermanHam 02-16-2024 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidmark (Post 6486374)
Got my 6 today from Rock 4.81 each half the price Amazon charges. Filter says made in USA.

Yep, same here.

mgarblik 02-16-2024 07:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of the 1258's I bought at NAPA today. Ones with the shiny black paint and the black seal are most likely old stock they are cleaning out. NOT saying anything about the quality of one vs the other, just that they are different being sold under the same name. I assume WIX/NAPA and their parent company build them worldwide to some sort of quality standard.