PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Ram air III WS block found seeing if the car survives (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808073)

FASTASSBIRD 08-16-2018 01:25 PM

It’s the wrong date code for my formula BTW but so is the other one I was gonna use so I’ll dump that one if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unruhjonny 08-16-2018 01:32 PM

can you really, accurately use the term "dump" with a desirable block like that?

Baron Von Zeppelin 08-16-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho-mike (Post 5919356)
... He had a lawyer write me a letter demanding the motor and threatening legal action,,,

Have heard some wild ones and some crazy ones -
but that one beats them all .

unruhjonny 08-16-2018 01:37 PM

/\ yeah... I don't get why the guy just wouldn't be happy to have found the numbers block!?

my car isn't a RA car, but I'd be tickled pink if I came across the numbers block (which I suspect was recycled probably three decades ago)...

Pepi 08-16-2018 06:43 PM

That is nuts. I would have quadrupled the price on him then.

1971455HO 08-16-2018 07:01 PM

While we're on the subject of someone trying to reunite a "born with" engine back to it's rightful place, the odds are staggering, I would like to know where would be the right place to post such a question on this forum. Although I've been warned here about the perils of someone cloning your car, I guess it would involve listing the entire numerical sequence your looking for. Anybody know the safe way to ask/post our community that question? I'm guessing the Classifieds based on B-man remarks. My original YE has been missing for I know 38 years. Wouldn't mind finding it if I had to weld on it & sleeve all 8 cylinders. Just wondering.

poncho-mike 08-16-2018 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's also possible that the VIN number stamp in the block is un-readable.

There was a thread a couple of years ago about a 1971 YE that I was selling that had no VIN number at all. Not even a poorly stamped VIN number.

And then there is this 1971 YE block I have. I challenge anybody to decipher what the VIN is on this block. You can make out 21N12, and after that it's anybody's guess.

I've found a number of blocks over the years where the VIN number was so poorly stamped you couldn't verify it matched the car it came out of.

poncho-mike 08-16-2018 07:31 PM

In the case of the WS engine, I don't think the guy who bought the 70 T/A was a car guy. He was apparently a wealthy businessman (or he said he was) with a huge ego. I suspect he had no intention of keeping or restoring the car, probably got it running and flipped it. It was a nice car, original Lucerne Blue with black interior, non-A/C. It spent time in the Charlotte NC area in the early to mid 80s.

PurelyGTO68 08-16-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971455HO (Post 5919532)
While we're on the subject of someone trying to reunite a "born with" engine back to it's rightful place, the odds are staggering, I would like to know where would be the right place to post such a question on this forum. Although I've been warned here about the perils of someone cloning your car, I guess it would involve listing the entire numerical sequence your looking for. Anybody know the safe way to ask/post our community that question? I'm guessing the Classifieds based on B-man remarks. My original YE has been missing for I know 38 years. Wouldn't mind finding it if I had to weld on it & sleeve all 8 cylinders. Just wondering.

You could try here.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/lostengine.html

I have a 1967 WZ engine less intake and carb. Would be correct for manual transmission Firebird 400. No clue if the car is still out there though but I submitted the EUN anyway. If anyone ever contacts me and they can prove that engine is for their car then I would sell or trade for another like engine. I don't need to make a profit, I would just want to be made whole and have the satisfaction that another car could be more complete than before.

1971455HO 08-17-2018 12:52 AM

Thank you...I will.