PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Cool ’65 396 4-speed Chevy Belair (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860097)

sdbob 07-17-2022 10:08 AM

I remember the first 396 Chevy convertible in the area out the road from me.

will slow gto 07-17-2022 11:11 AM

That’s very cool Dennis, thanks for sharing. You don’t see the 2-taillights on each side setup of the Bel Air and Biscayne very often on 65s…

Vid 07-17-2022 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400 4spd. (Post 6357370)
I remember my father’s 1969 Impala being recalled for that cable to be installed. I recently had a survivor 69 SS Camaro in the shop with the cable intact. My 40 y.o. mechanic/employee was stunned when I explained what it was for.

I never heard of that! Somebody fill me in please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Vaught 07-17-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th TA (Post 6357410)
What a great time capsule, glad it is being preserved. It’s hard to believe these great barn finds keep popping up.

In 1970, while still in high school I worked part time at a transmission shop. I replaced a lot of motor mounts on 65-70 Chevy’s. I can remember several times cars were towed in because they were dangerous. Under the right conditions cars with automatics could be started while in gear, even though the shift quadrant indicated it was in park. The engine could torque over because of the broken left mount, as the engine torqued the design of the throttle linkage would raise the engine rpm and sometimes simultaneously pull the vacuum line out of the power brake booster. Causing the car to leap forward with just the turn of a key. I personally witnessed this phenomenon twice, Very alarming the first time it happens because the car takes off with reduced braking ability. Fortunately the shop owners had a rule, to always start cars with one foot on the brake. My apologies for hijacking this thread.

I only saw that issue ONCE on a Chevy vehicle at my uncles dealership.

He would take work at his Pontiac/Cadillac dealership if the car owner did not get along with the Chevy Dealership.
I picked up the parts from a Chevy dealership 30 miles away, and watched our Chief Mechanic install the parts.

I fabricated a chain deal after that between the frame and head, even though the Pontiacs did not seem to have that problem.

Memories. WAY COOL CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom V.

77 TRASHCAN 07-17-2022 11:07 PM

Dennis,
I hope you can get some pictures of it’s end condition.
These cars will not stop safely with the front drums, unless some sintered iron shoes can be found.
FYI, if the owner ever wanted to go O.E. Front disc ( I’m sure Scott’s endless car knowledge has this covered). The 68-1/2-70 OE (Singlepiston) front spindle/calipers require 15” wheels. The location of the caliper on the spindle, andhaving 12” rotors, I doubt there is a 14” disc brake wheel that would work. 15” wheels were optional in 67.

Lightfoot 07-17-2022 11:13 PM

Man, that's a neat car. That factory tach location is so cool.
I always had a soft spot for the '65s and that was the last year the Bel Airs had no back-up lights; at least not standard.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN;
My first car was a 67 Bel Air, 283/glide/hubcaps...LOL 4 door. bought in 1975 when my family still lived in Iowa

My first car was a '66 Bel Air 4-door sedan 283/glide. The only options it had besides the engine/trans were deluxe wheel covers and seatbelts. No radio or power anything. Bought it from the original owner's wife in 1977. And it had those engine cables.

Heybuck 07-18-2022 03:01 AM

1965 Chevrolet was apparently the last large American car designed by Leo Pruneau.

Leo was, if I recall correctly, the head of design at Chevrolet before he was sent to England as head of design at Vauxhall motors. After 6 years there he came to Australia and worked at Holden till he retired here.

He is still alive and well I hear. A mate of mine has regular contact with him. I went to a lecture he gave some years ago plus I met and chatted to him at an All Holden Day event about 10 years ago. A very nice and gentle man.

I clearly recall him talking at the lecture I went to whereby he said the job criteria dictated that every model car following the previous model had to be made cheaper.

Interesting car.

NeighborsComplaint 07-19-2022 08:45 PM

Back in high school (1969-ish). one of the kids in my gym class had a 1966 Impala convertible, maroon with black top and interior, bench-seat, 396 325hp with a 3 speed on the column his dad bought him. His dad was a preacher with a generous congregation and I guess he thought the 3 spd would keep his kid out of trouble. lol.

He'd park it at the side exit of the gym where we'd all file out to the park for flag football. We'd get last in line with the PE coach way out at the head of the line and hop in the car. The kid was a riot. He'd leave the top down and we'd Batman and Robin over the doors and drive away, cruise for an hour (in our gym clothes), park on a side street and file back in with the rest of the class.

I drove the car a few times, what a great car.

nas t eh 07-20-2022 10:29 AM

My Grandfather sold the farm and retired in 66. He bought a new 66 Impala 283/Auto in gold. I have fond childhood memories riding in that car with my mom and her parents.

dhcarguy 07-20-2022 11:42 AM

My first nice car was a 65 Impala convertible 409, 4 speed. It was a used car back in 1971 I saw at our local Pontiac dealer when me and a couple of friends went to see the new Pontiacs.
You have no idea how many people over the years told me that it must have been a 396. NOT

carcrazy 07-20-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhcarguy (Post 6358320)
My first nice car was a 65 Impala convertible 409, 4 speed. It was a used car back in 1971 I saw at our local Pontiac dealer when me and a couple of friends went to see the new Pontiacs.
You have no idea how many people over the years told me that it must have been a 396. NOT

A lot of people didn't realize that the 409 was available the 1st half of the year. .

Stuart 07-20-2022 03:17 PM

For a brief period my dad had a Cameo Beige 1965 Belair. Four door, 283 w/ Powerglide. It was an unremarkable car, nothing more than basic transportation. One thing about it was that for some reason the speedometer read 15 or 20mph slow - we didn't realize it until we noticed how quickly we were arriving at destinations. :)

Around the same time one of my cousins bought a new Marina Blue 1967 SS427 four speed Impala. Now that was a car.

will slow gto 07-20-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhcarguy (Post 6358320)

That would have been a pretty rare car. I think they dropped the dual quad option and there was just the 400hp version? Any pics of it?

SD455DJ 07-23-2022 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN (Post 6357636)
Dennis,
I hope you can get some pictures of it’s end condition.
These cars will not stop safely with the front drums, unless some sintered iron shoes can be found.
FYI, if the owner ever wanted to go O.E. Front disc ( I’m sure Scott’s endless car knowledge has this covered). The 68-1/2-70 OE (Singlepiston) front spindle/calipers require 15” wheels. The location of the caliper on the spindle, andhaving 12” rotors, I doubt there is a 14” disc brake wheel that would work. 15” wheels were optional in 67.

The owner just wants to preserve its originality, and I can respect that. It actually stops really well for manual drum brakes. I learned that the car was trailered to the show and rolled into a spot as it hadn't been started yet after sitting in a garage for 52 years. The owner asked Scott if he would be interested in going through the car to make it safe to drive again and correct a few modifications that were done back in the day. So they trailered it down to Scott's shop to go through it top to bottom and front to back. The brakes were still functioning well and just needed new hoses and fluid. The 396 needed a tune-up and oil change, cooling system flush, and chasing down a bunch of electrical issues with bad grounds and oxidized connections. It does need a new dash wiring harness since the original harness had been cut and spliced a bit. Scott also did a light buff to the original paint to bring back the shine, but not 'cut' too much of the thin factory paint. It won't be perfect, but it is a presentable survivor type car that can be driven without too much worry.

Dennis

72projectbird 07-23-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will slow gto (Post 6358448)
That would have been a pretty rare car. I think they dropped the dual quad option and there was just the 400hp version? Any pics of it?

I believe both the 340hp L78 and the 400hp L31 were available. Supposedly 2,828 409 powered 65s were made before being discontinued.

dhcarguy 07-24-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will slow gto (Post 6358448)

Sorry, no pictures. I looked through all the old pictures my parents had also.
I only had that car for 6 months and was stolen. I used the money from insurance company to buy my 67 GTO CONVERTIBLE. So maybe was a blessing in disguise .
I do however would love to have that Chevy today