PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   SD455 changes hands (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742812)

gto4door 12-07-2013 12:23 PM

Congratulations Larry! I always enjoyed admiring at your SD during the times you brought that car out to the Niftee50ees street meet and the time I went out to your house. Is a '70 Chevelle SS in your future plans?

Tazzz2 12-07-2013 01:04 PM

Well Larry I have Carbon fenders and inner wells for that build if you want to move in that direction.... I also have a new "Vintage Racing Performance" C-6 Geometry sub frame that I'd let go for $4,500 USD,,, let me know if you're interested...

Jim Robertson 12-07-2013 09:39 PM

Very, very special car. The image of it sitting in the Hospital parking lot in Lubbock is still clear...from way back in the early 80s. Congrats to both the buyer and seller. So cool...

70RAlll 12-08-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Navarro (Post 5079043)
The sunroof was an option offered by GM and was installed by sub-contractor ASC (American Sunroof Co.). The option was basically for the "big car" line, however, I have found in Pontiac service literature that the option was also offered on the F-body cars.
HPP did a feature on this car 4 years ago but because of a personality conflict with the "editor", it was never published. It did the readers of HPP a great disservice.
Ironically, a few months ago a martique blue '78 transam with the same sunroof option, was featured in HPP that discloses all the information on how an f-body came to receive this unique option. Check your back-issues and read more on it.
Oh well, my story is history but I'm sure everyone will see the SD featured in HPP or other publication in the very near future, as it will be underegoing a complete make-over from a highly regarded shop in Michigan.

"Musclecollector".....you are correct, it's been along time since we talked.
The '79 will get all the pro-touring goodies........trick suspension, 18" rolling stock, 6 speed trans, wilwood brake setup, interior upgrades, EFI injection, etc.

That editor has had his share of "personality" conflicts- wouldn't take it personally. Has his "teacher's pets" in the resto industry.If it is going where I think in Mi., it will surely make the magazine.That shop seems to be his pet restorer.. great car Larry

Larry Navarro 12-08-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscle_collector (Post 5079411)
larry what size tires are on the rear of the 79 in that pic. they look great and perfect size with the 8" wheels.

Gary, those are 295-50 x 15.
They are Firehawks that have long since been discontinued.
The BFG's are just a tad wider in the same size.
However, the BFG drag radials in a 275-50 are dimensionally the same as the 295 Firehawk.

Larry Navarro 12-08-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70RAlll (Post 5080462)
That editor has had his share of "personality" conflicts- wouldn't take it personally. Has his "teacher's pets" in the resto industry.If it is going where I think in Mi., it will surely make the magazine.That shop seems to be his pet restorer.. great car Larry

Yes, that "editor" is a tool.

I gave up my free time and gave him an excellent vehicle for a feature in HPP........all I got was the finger....... and the readers a missed chance to get familiar with this one of a kind SD.

Hell, the feature on Paul Kenneys outstanding survivor '79 S.E. 400/4spd car was done on the same weekend as the SD, and it was never published!!

Larry Navarro 12-08-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Robertson (Post 5080309)
Very, very special car. The image of it sitting in the Hospital parking lot in Lubbock is still clear...from way back in the early 80s. Congrats to both the buyer and seller. So cool...

Hey jim.....last i heard, the Mabee SD Formula is still with the family. Would you know if that's true?

muscle_collector 12-08-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Navarro (Post 5080685)
Gary, those are 295-50 x 15.
They are Firehawks that have long since been discontinued.
The BFG's are just a tad wider in the same size.
However, the BFG drag radials in a 275-50 are dimensionally the same as the 295 Firehawk.

that's a lot of tire. (that's why it looks so good) do they ever rub anywhere? did you have to add anything to suspension? (air shocks ???)

Streetking 12-08-2013 04:46 PM

Congrats Larry, I'm sure it was hard to part with it but you will enjoy something you will use more! It was great seeing you at F1..

Larry Navarro 12-08-2013 09:02 PM

Gary, nothing was added or done to the rear. No fitment problems.
......Herb Adams VSE shocks and stock springs.

Larry Navarro 12-08-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streetking (Post 5080833)
Congrats Larry, I'm sure it was hard to part with it but you will enjoy something you will use more! It was great seeing you at F1..

Yeah SW.......it was a tuff call ......but the money was right :D
I had plenty of enjoyment outta the SD but it was time to let her go.

W72-Bandit 12-09-2013 12:34 AM

Hell, the feature on Paul Kenneys outstanding survivor '79 S.E. 400/4spd car was done on the same weekend as the SD, and it was never published!![/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm guilty by association!;):D

Larry Navarro 12-09-2013 12:53 AM

No Paul........he's a tool. :D

Jim Robertson 12-09-2013 12:53 AM

Larry,
Sorry but I have no intel on the Mabee SD Formula.

muscle_collector 12-09-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Navarro (Post 5081100)
No Paul........he's a tool. :D

can we quote a name?

njsteve 12-09-2013 08:25 PM

Congrats on the sale Larry.

Enjoy your next project but start the work immediately before your house, etc., starts eating the money.

The moment I sold my hemi charger, the wife called to tell me that the A/C unit in the house just burned out...and the 17 year old fridge stopped working...and her diamond wedding ring needed upgrading...

muscle_collector 12-09-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsteve (Post 5081636)
Congrats on the sale Larry.

Enjoy your next project but start the work immediately before your house, etc., starts eating the money.

The moment I sold my hemi charger, the wife called to tell me that the A/C unit in the house just burned out...and the 17 year old fridge stopped working...and her diamond wedding ring needed upgrading...

if my wife wanted to upgrade the wedding ring I would suggest she upgrade the husband also.

rexs73gto 12-10-2013 12:34 AM

You keep saying the car is going to a shop in MI. is that Scott's place ??? You can say his name as most know him. He does great work to.

superdutybob 12-10-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexs73gto (Post 5081836)
You keep saying the car is going to a shop in MI. is that Scott's place ??? You can say his name as most know him. He does great work to.

Due to John being involved my guess would be Nile Wing, not Scott. Either way it will be beautiful when done.

Judge273 12-10-2013 08:47 AM

Michigan trio: I got to meet Rick from Rick's restoration at MCACN, and he knows and speaks highly of Nyle Wing. They are all good friends with Scott. They put time in Scott's shop before getting their own places. Great stories and knowledgable too!

BTW: Rick said he is working on 2 70 TA both RA IV's....