PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Pontiac Drag Racing Legends (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859849)

455dan 07-05-2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 (Post 6354551)
You left out Floyd Hand

Sorry about that, You are Right. Also thought I should also add Clint Logan and not sure if Ace Wilson was mentioned.

Jack Gifford 07-05-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6354579)
... Wasn't it Eddie Hill who said something like "threw that Pontiac junk in a lake" ? ...

I don't know. You could ask him?
In any case, he was a Pontiac icon sixty-one years ago, tearing up (literally) the asphalt from the brand new Indianapolis Raceway Park start line, using twin blown Pontiacs. It was quite a sight.

77 TRASHCAN 07-05-2022 10:38 PM

2 more....
Scott Burton and his son Brad. Scott is/ was funding and mechanical wizard behind his sons 2 NHRA stock elim championships!!!

Tom Vaught 07-05-2022 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of MR BRASWELL's Pontiac Dragster.

Mr Braswell was David Braswell's (Carb Builder) father.

Bet most never knew that fact.

Tom V.

http://www.pontiacheaven.org/Turk_Co...ll_Fueler.html

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1657077879

Bob with the 66 07-06-2022 09:42 AM

Updated 7.6.2022

Please add to this list: "Who did we miss?"

Semon E. "Bunkie" Knudsen
Elliott M. "Pete" Estes
John Z. DeLorean
Herb Adams
Mark Frank
Malcolm McKellar
George DeLorean
Milt Schornack
Bill Mitchell
Jim Wangers
Mickey Thompson
Henry "Smokey" Yunick
Dick Jesse
Arnie Beswick
Don Gay
Monk King
Marvin Panch
Stan Long
Ace Wilson
Bill Abraham
Arlen Vanke
Bill Knafel
Nunzi
Jess Tyree
Fireball Roberts
Craig Hendrickson
Kern Osterstock
Art Peterson
Jim Hand
Pete McCarthy.
Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick
Tom Nell
Dudley "Skip" McCully
Truman Fields
Jim Mino
Lloyd and Carol Cox
Harold Ramsey Union Park Pontiac
Rudy Diphus
Brother Jerry Leek
Floyd Hand
Eddie Hill
Bob Michaels
The Hunt Brothers
Bill Rink
Phil and Vance Heck.
Ray Nichols
Russ Abrams
Eddie Hill
Clint Logan
Scott & Brad Burton
Mr Braswell & David Braswell
Butler family
KRE Guys
Travis Quillen
Bob and Frank @ All Pontiac.com
Mr Edelbrock
Wade and Mark H. (The marketing guys).

Johnny406 07-06-2022 10:14 AM

Greg Merrick (Pontiac Gregg)

455dan 07-06-2022 10:22 AM

Not sure how "old" a person needs to be?,

Ken Crocie, Jim Taylor, Ken Brewer, John Clegg Glen Tinsly Phil Monteith, Peter Biondo, Don Kennedy

more controversial people like Initials B F or Mid America/Warrior guys count

Jack Ferris 07-06-2022 11:30 AM

Pat Donovan, Bob Maxey

Sirrotica 07-06-2022 11:33 AM

Mid America was the Hunt brothers.

Jack Ferris 07-06-2022 11:35 AM

Matt & Joe Tankersley

mgarblik 07-06-2022 12:04 PM

Arnie Beswick is on the list twice! No argument from me, he deserves it. Although not drag racers directly, Larry Wenzler and Dick Ducklow and Tom have been very important to our hobby and the Pontiac V-8.

PAUL K 07-06-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6354678)
Arnie Beswick is on the list twice! No argument from me, he deserves it. Although not drag racers directly, Larry Wenzler and Dick Ducklow and Tom have been very important to our hobby and the Pontiac V-8.

You only said Tom because you have no idea how to spell Pieczowitz (SP).... Lol

mgarblik 07-06-2022 01:25 PM

That's true! He was always the quiet one in the background, but a partner in the business. Very nice person. Ducklow could be a little abrasive but he was a man of action. He had the personality to get things done and would not take NO for an answer.

Elarson 07-06-2022 01:29 PM

As long as we're making the list longer...Vic Edelbrock and Rick Roberts formerly of Edelbrock. The 2 guys responsible for one of the most consequential Pontiac aftermarket parts in history.

Eric

77 TRASHCAN 07-06-2022 01:37 PM

My now departed Pontiac fellow Pontiac enthusiast (no, he wouldn't consider himself list worthy...) His name was Richard Allen. He did own a Pontiac of racing significance, though. It was Truman Fields only "A" body car, Truman raced. A 72 GTO. Richard bought it from the second owner, named John Corcoran, In New Jersey or New York, in 1980. He owned it until 2012

Richard bought a 2nd gen from some racing (Stock elim) folks, not sure where they were from, Richarcd lived in Davenport Iowa. The folks he bought the car from called themselves the White Brothers Racing. Anyone remember them???

Richard bought the sec gen firebird stocker from them, Had fancy paint he said. He drove it on the street some (this was the early 70's mind you), the neighbors already hated him, so he didn't mind...LOL

Richard WAS a racer, and a dedicated Pontiac enthusiast. parkinson's claimed him in August of 2018. His health was terrible the last few years. He and his wife had moved back to Iowa in fall of 2017 so he could be nearer his family. I made a trip from Oklahoma to vist them in Muscatine, Iowa in June of 2018, and took him to the Wisconsin Dells POCI event. He struggled mightily the whole time we were there, mostly hust getting around. After he passed, I apologized to his wife for soing that, thinking it was an awful undertaking I put him through. Whe said NO, NO, he immensely enjoyed enjoyed the trip!!!

Dragncar 07-06-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elarson (Post 6354692)
As long as we're making the list longer...Vic Edelbrock and Rick Roberts formerly of Edelbrock. The 2 guys responsible for one of the most consequential Pontiac aftermarket parts in history.

Eric

Well, Mr. Edelbrock called Dan Whitmore and asked him what cylinder head the Pontiac community needed. Dan told him what he thought and they made it.
I understand 2-3 other people got that phone call too.
Dan deserves to be on this list.

Elarson 07-06-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6354701)
Well, Mr. Edelbrock called Dan Whitmore and asked him what cylinder head the Pontiac community needed. Dan told him what he thought and they made it.
I understand 2-3 other people got that phone call too.
Dan deserves to be on this list.

I'm sure Edelbrock did their proper research by calling trusted experts to talk about the configuration. Vic himself told us that Arnie bugging him to do it started the ball rolling. He told us that he thought it was a crazy idea and he would be lucky to sell 100 sets.

Eric

Sirrotica 07-06-2022 02:41 PM

They priced them like they'd only sell 100 sets, and that pricing is still higher than most any other head on a US based V8. AMC and Olds is still lower priced, seems like they've had plenty of time to recoup their investment.....:noidea:

Jack Gifford 07-07-2022 12:15 AM

If this "Pontiac legends" thread weren't strictly dragrace, Roger Bollinger would be tops among "modern legends".

Jack Gifford 07-07-2022 12:31 AM

For those of us who watched them driving for Mickey, Hayden Proffit (sp?) and Jack Chrisman would be on the list.
Aren't the Boss Bird crew legendary with their 250 mph trap speed?