PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Norwalk ‘19 Official Thread (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832243)

johnta1 08-07-2019 08:55 AM

I think the timer difference would be the difference from the normal 60' time and the false one, if it is known to be a good launch. (not spinning)

.160 seconds difference in this case.
Take that from the reaction time, could be the real RT.
Was he that late? (.160 or so)
You probably left just right after he did, if so.

Take that .160 and add it to each of the wrong times, to get what it probably was.

Also did he cross before you? (about 3 feet)

With all of these errors, surprised they didn't have someone check things out.

:confused:

Old Goat Racer 08-07-2019 01:37 PM

Over 900 pics at Norwalk in this link, hope ya find them. OGR

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Bob with the 66 08-07-2019 04:14 PM

Thanks for the link, there was a ton of good looking race cars this year for sure!!

GTOGEORGE 08-07-2019 05:48 PM

I took a video of some race cars at Norwalk and posted it on you tube...................link is below!

https://youtu.be/_iGIc44fbGU

GTO George

mgarblik 08-07-2019 08:27 PM

Well done. Thanks for doing this. We were there for 3 days and I bet I only saw half of the cars featured. Lots of beautiful Pontiac iron at this event.

Bob with the 66 08-08-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6049045)
Well done. Thanks for doing this. We were there for 3 days and I bet I only saw half of the cars featured. Lots of beautiful Pontiac iron at this event.

I have been lucky enough to attend this event for close to 20 years now and the level of cars on the show side as well as the race side just keep getting better and better every year.

Truly a great event for Pontiac fans, and racers, thank you to all that attends and makes it what it is.

A special THANKS needs to go out to Pete and Andi for making this event bigger and better every year!

Steve Barcak 08-08-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob with the 66 (Post 6049171)
I have been lucky enough to attend this event for close to 20 years now and the level of cars on the show side as well as the race side just keep getting better and better every year.

Truly a great event for Pontiac fans, and racers, thank you to all that attends and makes it what it is.

A special THANKS needs to go out to Pete and Andi for making this event bigger and better every year!

well said. and then there are those who insist the hobby is in decline. go figure

Old Goat Racer 08-08-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE (Post 6048982)
I took a video of some race cars at Norwalk and posted it on you tube...................link is below!

https://youtu.be/_iGIc44fbGU

GTO George

COOL video. Almost as cool as the 7.983 pass !
CONGRATS !

Probird 08-09-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 6048798)
I think the timer difference would be the difference from the normal 60' time and the false one, if it is known to be a good launch. (not spinning)

.160 seconds difference in this case.
Take that from the reaction time, could be the real RT.
Was he that late? (.160 or so)
You probably left just right after he did, if so.

Take that .160 and add it to each of the wrong times, to get what it probably was.

Also did he cross before you? (about 3 feet)

With all of these errors, surprised they didn't have someone check things out.

:confused:

I agree. With all the timing system issues brought to their attention on Saturday I can’t believe they didn’t try to fix it before Sunday. I bet it was happening on Friday too. Usually it’s a bad starting line photocell that hangs up and doesn’t start the run till you are already on your way to the 60’ clocks. We had the same issue almost all season last year at Havana. I quit going there because if it. It’s hard to catch on a slower car. I had video of it happening to a fast funny car. He was well past the 60’ clocks before the stage bulbs ever went out. I think it said he ran a 2.75 or something like that. Too bad they didn’t take the time to fix it. It really screwed up the final outcome of all the racing.

Jack Gifford 08-28-2019 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6048729)
... With the changes you made in gearing and the priming system, the second run would have been much stronger and we would have had a chance to really hear that little Pontiac sing...

Ran the lakester again at the local tenth-mile dragstrip Sunday, with more appropriate gearing. Once more it ran with no issues. Turned 85.3 MPH at 7,100 RPM, which is getting closer to where I want to test the engine.

johnta1 08-28-2019 08:11 AM

Sounds good.
Trying for Bonneville next year?

:)

mgarblik 08-28-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Gifford (Post 6055938)
Ran the lakester again at the local tenth-mile dragstrip Sunday, with more appropriate gearing. Once more it ran with no issues. Turned 85.3 MPH at 7,100 RPM, which is getting closer to where I want to test the engine.

85 MPH in 528 Ft. is a HUGE improvement over what it had run! I am sure you could feel where the engine finally began to make some boost and power. About what RPM did it seem to come to life? Do I remember right that the target RPM is over 8000 somewhere? I bet it sounded totally different than at Norwalk when it got into it's happy RPM range. Did it prime and start much better? Any video of the test this past weekend? Your getting there.

Jack Gifford 08-29-2019 02:00 AM

John- no Bonneville plans. Probably just east coast pavement LSR- Arkansas mile or Maine 1.5 mile.

Mike- Yeah, I want to test that it runs okay at 9,000+. I still had to use part throttle until car speed exceeded clutch lock-up, a little over 5,000 RPM, at which point it ran clean at full throttle. I wish I had looked at the boost gauge, but I got a little concerned about the rough pavement and no rear suspension! Yes, priming and starting is back to normal. But I'm still "searching" for a fuel setting for engine warm-up that doesn't guzzle huge amounts of methanol. I'm getting closer- only about 2 gallons total for Sunday's warm-up and run.

Mr Anonymous 08-30-2019 07:47 AM

Awesome Jack! I'd love to head to Arkansas with you next year and help out. I'm sorta on your way.

Jack Ferris 08-30-2019 10:12 AM

Thanks for the video George. Been wanting to go to this for years. Suckie divorce kept me grounded again. maybe next year.

Jack Gifford 09-15-2019 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Gifford (Post 6056310)
... Mike- Yeah, I want to test that it runs okay at 9,000+...

I'll make another test run two weeks from now, with enough gear to hopefully see over 8,000 RPM.
South Butler... corn fields are gone, but the grain bins remain...:)

charlie66 09-15-2019 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Gifford (Post 6062106)
I'll make another test run two weeks from now, with enough gear to hopefully see over 8,000 RPM.
South Butler... corn fields are gone, but the grain bins remain...:)

Jack, do you have any videos of your car from Norwalk? I missed seeing you go down the track.

Thanks

Jack Gifford 09-16-2019 02:02 AM

No recent video. The frame I posted above is from a facebook video which is still online (search for "South Butler Nostalgia Dragway"). It's of my first-ever run, with way-too-tall gearing.