Conversation Between HWYSTR455 and goatwgn
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. goatwgn
    09-18-2012 06:11 PM
    goatwgn
    Thanks for the reply, dont know why I didnt see it before. Looks like you drive your car like I do lol. Well, since i posted this, I have burned up the intermediate band twice. I think this engine is just simply overpowering the band on the 1-2 shift. I believe, that although some people have had good luck with them I am not one of them. Just dont trust it under full throttle anymore. I am going the GV route, mainly because I already had a good TH400 with a trans go kit that I had in the car before. I am having a professional Gv installer install the unit, I dont have the time (nor the patience to deal with it after having the 2004r out 5 times total.) This car was stone reliable until my OD installation. I dont know if there is such a thing as a "mild" 455 when it comes to torque. This engine will break the tires loose at 30 mph, and that situation requires the TH400, or 4l80e. The Gv unit is getting a controller that automatically shifts it at 45 mph or so into OD using a sensor that piggy backs the speedo cable. I will let you know how it operates when I get the car back Thursday-so you will have another reference. By the way- the problems i had with the CPT unit was as follows- I had a bad feeling when I first installed it and fluid come pouring out the front pump. Had that fixed, dealt with bang style shifting for 6 months, then the front pump broke in the driveway on a cold morning. Pulled it out, and sent it back. Got it back a few weeks later, worked fine for 2 years this time, then the anchor pin broke (always had the "bang" style shift.) Jakeshoe rebuilt it, "bang shift gone, drove a lot better, then after only 4 months, the band burned up. Sent it back to Jake, he was very good about rebuilding it, putting it in a test car, and then returning it after triple checking everything. I drove it for a couple of weeks, then it starting the slow slide into second again. Anyways, thanks agian for your input.
  2. goatwgn
    04-19-2012 07:20 PM
    goatwgn
    Hello sir. I have noticed you have made a lot of posts about trannys and would like your opinion on something if you don't mind. (Love your car by the way). I have a 2004r in my '66 Pontiac Tempest wagon with a mild 455, 3.42 gears and 26.7 inch tires. The tranny was last built by Jakeshoe, who did a very good ljob on it comparred to the original vendor(CPT). My problem is, i like to drive this car aggressively, and whenj the tranny warms up, it doesn't shift as well, which I think is the nature of the beast. I beleive this tranny would be perfect for my "Daily Driver" '74 350ci Olds Cutlass, but for the Pontiac, I miss my old TH 400s shifting, except I do like the OD. I am considering reintstalling the TH400 with a Gear Vendors, or 4L80E. What is your experience with this situation? The 2004r has the Billet forward drum, but I am leary of it long term with all of this torque in front of it.