Conversation Between Skip Fix and Cliff R
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 1 of 1
  1. Cliff R
    12-30-2013 11:54 AM
    Cliff R
    Skip, keep in mind that you keep hitting Harry's post with your test of a completely different set-up.

Harry tested an open spacer/adapter which doesn't direct or provide a smooth flow path for the air into the 4 holes of the stock intake.

He also tested ONE carb for both deals, not two completely different carburetors.

No need to confuse the folks here any further. Air coming out of a square flange carb with an open adapter has a HUGE flat surface to slam into, which is going to hurt performance.

He also did dyno testing, not track testing. For a variety of reasons one carb can run significantly quicker than another at the track, due how well it 60's, stays full on hard runs, sloshing fuel out on the launch, etc.

I NEVER see over 2hp between any HP950 or my 4781-2 Holley on the dyno and my 1977 Pontiac q-jet.

At the track never once has the deviation between any of them been over .03 seconds and about .30mph. In other words, once correctly tuned, pretty much equal in dyno power and track performance.

I'm not being critical of your test, just mentioning that it isn't the same thing Harry did, not really even very close to it, if you look at all the parameters. His post has WAY too many folks patting him on the back (I really thought in general folks were a lot smarter these days), which I find quite surprising. He didn't test intakes, he just compared one that wasn't set up with the correct parts to one that was.....Cliff