Old 05-12-2024, 07:03 PM

Default Got my '63 Bonneville back from the upholstery shop yesterday - a few pics

They did a really nice job. There are a couple things which bug me (a couple pan head screws at the back of the lower seat trim which should be ovals; the driver's seat belt tab side needs to be flipped over at the floor mount), but these are minor nits. I knew that they could not match the smaller size of the inner piping on the seats, so both runs of piping are the same diameter. I probably should have asked if they could have salvaged my original inner piping, but the thought didn't occur to me at the time.

The new carpet is 80/20 nylon loop, including the door panels. The carpet is so beautifully black! (I last put carpet in the car in '79 - from JC Whitney - cut pile...what was I thinking?), and thanks to a convertible with extra UV exposure, it had faded out to a less-than-uniform medium to dark brown... They also sprayed the kick panels, which brought them back to a more uniform black. Eventually, I want to install a factory-looking power window setup with new door panels, but until that time comes, these panels are certainly serviceable.

The seats are leather in the seating areas with vinyl bolsters and trim. The leather is in similar grain to original, but I don't ever remember the leather being as buttery soft as this. As I said to Tim, my upholsterer, I know it's not Connolly, but...wow.

These seat belts, BTW, are from Ames. I still have my originals (the tabs are different, but the buckles are essentially similar). When my dad purchased the car in January of '65, she had seat belts in the front, which may very well have been dealer installed. I have rebuilt period-correct Borg Warner retractors, but in the limited time I had to play yesterday, I was unable to get them mounted.

I had the seat trim re-anodized, and it came out amazingly well.

They also made up a new boot for me, as my last one was looking pretty sad (and would surely not fit properly anymore). I opted to keep the factory slide-in mount for it vs the more modern Velcro and snaps (my '68 De Ville has that arrangement).

Anyway, I had to share.

Upholstery: Auto Mat Co, Inc, Hicksville, NY
Metal trim: Nassau Chromium Plating Co, Inc, Mineola, NY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240511_121114943_HDR.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	633637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240511_120843548_HDR.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	633638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240511_121126408_HDR.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	633639   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-05-09_interior_1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	633640   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-05-09_interior_2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	633641  

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-12-2024, 09:28 PM

Very nice!

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 05-12-2024, 11:33 PM

Thanks!

My original leather was looking very sad. The back seat wasn't in bad shape at all, but would have looked mismatched had I not done the whole thing at one time. Oh, and the foam had long since lost any cushioning it may have provided. The seat is so comfortable, now. Well worth the investment (even if my wife still looks at me with *that* look).

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE