Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-02-2023, 10:46 AM

Default '79 Hurst shifter linkage issue

I'm finishing up a '79 T/A engine trans rebuild ( See " I've got a stripper in the garage " in the Firebird forums. I am having issues with the 2nd gear linkage hitting the reverse lever. I can't find any information on factory rod numbers, I have all the Competition Plus numbers, no OEM numbers. Seems raising the shifter would help, I'a also about out of adjustment threads on the rods, shifter seems too far forward on the transmission. BW Super T10, correct date code for a late '78 or early '79.

Heres what I have,

Shifter body, #3138 183021D
Shifter handle #7244

1/2 & 3/4 shifter lever #9067
reverse Lever #6392

1/2 rod #450
3/4 rod #451
reverse rod # S

Any help on linkage would be a plus,

Joe Hand

Aftermarket shifter mounting bracket, Stamped Steel

Old 08-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am working the clutch right now in my original 77 ST 10 if you need OEM numbers or need to see how it was set up originally, mine is all original in an 77 w72 ST10 car.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:35 AM

If you can see the numbers on the shift rods, that would be great, they are at the transmission end of the rods. I believe I got this figured, the 1/2 rod was bent at some point. I noticed it was binding up going into the lever. Once i bent it back parallel to the 3/4 rod, I gained clearance and freed up the fit. It's work as it should now. The shifter body and lever are correct for the car, and the rods and lever work.

Joe