Old 04-10-2023, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ames trans crossmember

Was wondering if anyone used this one R 157s...........any issues fitwise, also are the insulator brackets all that necessary.

Throwing in a tkx 5 speed, found out i have a chevelle crossmember, been working ok, but on one side i only have about a 1/8 or less of the bolt holding it down to the frame, so i thought i would just get a stock one.

Rich

Old 04-10-2023, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A welder is your friend...just add some material to the one you have. If it's been working OK the way it is...

Old 04-10-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
A welder is your friend...just add some material to the one you have. If it's been working OK the way it is...
This.

If what you have is working just modify it some to make it work better, don’t overthink it or waste your money. Hot rodding requires welding and fabricating sometimes, just get your local weld shop to help you out if you don’t already have a welding machine at home.

The Chevelle crossmember that bolts directly to the frame instead of the Pontiac crossmember that floats in rubber is a better way to go for a performance application anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, another thing that worried me some was the tech at ames said this crossmember was a 1/2 taller than stock, so i was worried about the drive shaft angles as well.

So if im understanding you right, just need to add about a 1/2 inch to the pass side.

Rich

Old 04-11-2023, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
This.

If what you have is working just modify it some to make it work better, don’t overthink it or waste your money. Hot rodding requires welding and fabricating sometimes, just get your local weld shop to help you out if you don’t already have a welding machine at home.

The Chevelle crossmember that bolts directly to the frame instead of the Pontiac crossmember that floats in rubber is a better way to go for a performance application anyway.
Thanks Bart, a few pics to show you what im talking about, not sure if this is pontiac or not, sure looks different than the pic on the ames website.

You can see where the washer sits on the member, wondering if you can even weld something extra on those ends........

Thinking if that is a factory weld in the center............things must have been way different back then,.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossmember  (4).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	610595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossmember  (1).JPG
Views:	153
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	610596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossmember  (2).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	610597  

Old 04-11-2023, 05:47 PM

Just find some 1/4”, 3/8” plate or whatever thickness matches up best and cut it to size and weld it on the end. Maybe 1” or so of material. Slot it with a sharp rat tail file after grinding the area flat and you’re done.

No big deal, it was working okay before but a little sketchy, it will be great after you’re done.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
This.

^^^ Agree with this. Like the Chevelle crossmember much more. Smooth design doesn't collect road crap. Solid mounting for more rigidity. I bought one off EBay for cheap. It was like $65. I got it and found out it's a El Camino/convertible one (IIRC). Quite a bit shorter than the standard crossmember. Idk if you could have one of those or not. Probably not. I think the one I have is way short. Like 6" or more.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once again guys, thanks for the info, im gonna see if i can get the guy who welded on my frame to add to this one...........i ordered the one from ames before i sent this out, so i will see what that looks like.......

Bit off topic, but i was looking at that G-force cross member, standard size between holes is 53 5/8..........but they have a wide version that goes 54 5/8............i find that odd pontiac would have different frame sizes for a 66..........and they list these for almost every A body out there..............just thought this was strange.

Rich

Old 04-13-2023, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just find some 1/4”, 3/8” plate or whatever thickness matches up best and cut it to size and weld it on the end. Maybe 1” or so of material. Slot it with a sharp rat tail file after grinding the area flat and you’re done.

No big deal, it was working okay before but a little sketchy, it will be great after you’re done.
Pic for you Bart..........got this done today, went 3/4 bigger, will test fit, might only have to grind off a hair or so..............bad part is i also ordered the new one from ames............will check that out.

once again thanks for helping me out.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crossmember fix (1).JPG
Views:	139
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	610689   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmember fix (2).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	610690   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmember fix (3).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	610691  

Old 04-13-2023, 06:49 PM

Looks good, now it will be a much more solid installation.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Looks good, now it will be a much more solid installation.
Thanks Bart..............a little purdy pic for you............all painted and ready to go.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Painted crossmember (5).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	610773  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtorich For This Useful Post: