THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:21 AM
Suspended

Default Hagerty "warrant" that your car will never be on a race track

I am in the process of trying to add a '63 LeMans to my Hagerty policy. It is a tribute to the '63 Super Duty 421 LeMans race cars they made only 12 - 15 of back then. It is a licensed street car. They are trying to make me sign a "warranty" that states "I warrant that the 1963 Pontiac Tempest will not be used to prepare, practice, qualify for, or participate in any racing, timed events, autocross, drivers education, or similar track use of any kind. This warranty cannot be terminated without written request and written approval from Hagerty Insurance Agency and Essentia Insurance Company. I voluntarily attest and agree to all terms and conditions as defined in this warranty. I understand any breach of the stated warranty shall be cause for the carrier to void the policy from inception and return all premiums to me". Have any of you had to do this? I've asked several friends who insure with Hagerty and none have had to do this. All of them own tribute cars of one sort or another; dual quad posi cars, etc., some real race cars from back then, that they may take to a test & tune once in awhile just f or the fun of it. I'm pretty irritated about this. This car is not a race car but is a pretty hot car and I would like to take it to a test & tune just to see what it will do.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have hagerty insurance car is insured unless your actually going down the track. If it’s damaged in lanes or in pits it’s covered you crash going down the track your out of luck. Sounds like the value of your car is much higher than mine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hagerty does have several options for race cars and street cars that are raced: https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/motorsports-insurance

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Thank you Stuart I was unaware of those coverages. I've been going back and forth with them on the phone I wonder why none of the people I've been talking to did not point them out to me.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You'd think their agents would be more knowledgeable, considering how much Hagerty does for sponsoring in various forms of motorsport.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about your bad experience John. My general opinion is that Customerservice/support ain’t what it used to be.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same Hagerty policy ' covered in pits' but not going down the track for my 73 SD put together car. They just advised me to increase value ( I was surprised what they advised) of my all original 74 SD. I've dealt with main office.

Last edited by sdbob; 04-01-2023 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Add words
The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Suspended

I'm ok now I just requested a quote on their site for a 'pro street" car and indicated that I do go the track and got an estimate that was about $100 per year higher than their regular classic car policy. I will talk to them and I'm sure we will figure this out. Not sure "pro street" is where I ought to be with this car?

Old 04-01-2023, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
I'm ok now I just requested a quote on their site for a 'pro street" car and indicated that I do go the track and got an estimate that was about $100 per year higher than their regular classic car policy. I will talk to them and I'm sure we will figure this out. Not sure "pro street" is where I ought to be with this car?
You certainly want the right coverage for your use. I have had Hagerty for 15 years or so. No claims, so I can't speak to how they handle them. My agent is an independent and has Hagerty for collector cars and many different carriers for other types of insurance. But he is a motor head big time. Has a track going Sunbeam Tiger and a couple Corvettes, and some other cars. It's a real help to have the right agent. PM me if you want me to call my agent about your situation.