The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-04-2022, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Subframe Mounts - 74 Firebird

Wasn't sure if this should go here, or in the suspension section - but here goes;

I'm in the process of replacing my subframe bushings - car is fully assembled. I've done lots of reading and watched a bunch of YouTube videos, but I have questions before I move on the next step.

I have successfully loosened (actually removed and reinstalled) all of the mounting bolts. None of the 'cages' have broken free - and it seems like that is half the battle for most folks so I'm counting myself lucky there. On to my questions;

I'm going to do one side at a time. I have the rear wheels on the ground and the front wheels sitting up on a set of Race Ramps (see below). This helps me get to the bolts etc. Am I OK doing the work with the car sitting this way or would it be better to have all four wheels on the ground and the car level?

My plan is to loosen all of the bolts on one side, then remove the bolts and lift the body on the opposite side. When I lift the body, where should I place my jack and support? I've seen where some folks position a 4x4 directly below the floorpan (between the subframe and the sill) but I've also seen where people position a length of wood on the pinch weld itself.

Any other input much appreciated!

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my car sitting level on cribbing. I have a plethora of blocking in my shop and used a long 4 x 4 to span the length of the floor behind the rocker. Then jacked up one side of the car just enough to get the bushing out. Drop back in place and repeat on other side. A bit harder to get to, but you may want to do the core support as well, although I dont think they wear as much as the body bushings. Yes, getting the bolts out is def. the hardest part.

Nice skateboard collection!

Old 04-05-2022, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I had my car sitting level on cribbing. I have a plethora of blocking in my shop and used a long 4 x 4 to span the length of the floor behind the rocker.
Thanks - I have spare 4x2's floating around so I will make up a 4x4 and use the floor.

The core support bushings were replaced 10 or so years ago (I should have done the other mounts at the same time). So I'm not planning on replacing them, but I will loosen them off. Looks like I'll need to remove the battery (and maybe the tray) to get to the drivers side.

It looks like I may also need to remove some of the bolts around the inside of the fenderwells? It looks like some of them bolt to the subframe?

Old 04-06-2022, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes there are a couple of bolts at the bottom lip of the inner fender that bolt to the support. But if youre not replacing them no worries.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I screwed a couple of 4x2's together to make a 4x4. I initially made it a good length, but ended up cuttting it down to about the length of the subframe 'arm'. I found that if it was too long I couldn't easily get to the bolts with the car sitting on the ground. I only had trouble with one bushing that had 'welded' itself to the subframe. As described above I did one side at a time, with all of the bodymount bolts loose/out on that side as well as the two bolts on the front inner fender. Spent most of the time cleaning and prepping the mounting areas for the new bushes.

I'm thinking the bushes were probably overdue for replacement

And even though I'm not supposed to, I took it out for a quick spin when I was done.

The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacstogo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2022, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have taken a few of those out along the way, yours actually dont look all that bad compared to most. My word of advice to anyone that owns a Trans Am or have just bought one, CHECK the body bushings. Chances are they are crap! Its not really all that hard to do, other than breaking the bolts loose. I have come up with a trick to help with that but it doesnt always work.

btw, Your car is beautiful!!

Old 04-09-2022, 01:23 AM

Forget all that, how is your garage so clean? Is that carpet?!?!?

Old 04-09-2022, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentco View Post
Forget all that, how is your garage so clean? Is that carpet?!?!?
Yep - carpet. Lots of newer homes here have carpeted garages. It's an industrial style carpet - thin pile and quite durable. It's glued to the concrete below.

At first I thought it was a dumb idea, but I quite like it when I'm just doing minor work on the car or bike. However I can't imagine how I would ever do anything messy on it - even a simple oil change would be a no no. I had to lay down cardboard boxes while I was doing the subframe bushes, then vacuum the floor after I was all done!

I plan to build a workshop on the property at some point - it will NOT have carpeted floors.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:09 PM

Haha, love it! Well, the beautiful clean garage certainly complements the beautiful clean TA!

I guess your workshop floors will have to be marble or terrazzo

Old 04-11-2022, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I didnt notice the carpet, thought it was epoxy. Thats really nice!! Growing up we had a large 2 car garage but it was dads wood shop and he built a lot of kitchen cabinets. I dont think he owned a broom as it was knee deep in sawdust and piled high with cut offs (I think thats one of the reasons I sweep my shop every night). When he retired and moved to fla he put carpet in the garage and the ONLY thing in it was his minivan, on rubber tire runners.