THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ecoboost turbo problems

My sister and her husband bought a 2017 Expedition with the ecoboost engine 18 months ago, with 75k miles on it. Fast forward and they call me asking what I think about their turbo situation. Turns out the check engine light keeps coming on for the last 3-4 months. Her husband says it's "related to the turbo not making boost, I don't know" as he's not a car person. They took it to a shop and the shop said they were experiencing failure of both turbos, oil in them where it shouldn't be and failed bearings. They were quoted $3500 to replace them, which may be slightly high but if you factor in the cost of $1600 just for both turbos, it's not completely out of line in my opinion. They've only put 8k miles on it and during that time the oil has been changed twice already so they're definitely doing basic maintenance on it. I changed the spark plugs on it last summer and they were quite worn.

So... is this a thing? These turbos wear out this fast? My sister is concerned if they should fix it or just dump the car.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the truck had 75k on it when they bought it, who knows how the previous owner treated it.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:49 PM
Suspended

Tell them to take it to an O'Reillys the next time the engine light comes on and have them put their obd2 scanner on it. They will do it for nothing and will tell them what the code(s) is/are and what it/they mean. Then take it to a Ford dealer and have them put their reader on it They and you may be surprised at the results of this process.

The check engine light came on in my '16 Silverado Duramax pickup about two weeks ago and the above is what I did. The end result was that my Chevy dealer replaced the DEF tank on my truck at no expense to me. There was an extended warranty on the things due to faulty fluid level sensors having been installed in some of them when they were made.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make friends with the service personnel at the local Ford dealership! On anything as new as 2017, there may be factory help, if there is a factory problem.

Like Stuart mentioned; difficult to know how the first 75k was maintenanced.

My 1979 Ford Turbo Cobra runs today about the same as it did in 1979 when I special-ordered the car.

The only major expense have been 3 electronic ignitions in 60k miles. Sure would like to upgrade to points/condenser!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:48 PM

My 2013 F150 has 62k one it and it has been reliable no issues with the Turbos

Old 07-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A fleet of Ecoboost 2015-2016 Ford Transit 350's I service have been wonderful on the engine and transmission side. None of them have had ANY serious mechanical issues to engine hard parts. Some of the 2015's have over 200K miles on them now. Body hardware, sliding doors, chassis electrical, steering columns, brakes are another story. All the above items need constant parts replacement from just general low quality components and undersize components. But the engines have been great. We maintain them with only full synthetic oil and religious oil changes at 5000 miles, period. Changing oil when the oil life monitor tells you to is asking for trouble IMO, like oil in the turbo's, and dead bearings.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
If the truck had 75k on it when they bought it, who knows how the previous owner treated it.
This.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 07-10-2021, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if the previous owners let the engine idle down before shutting it off.
I always did that with my old 3.5 ecoboost and never had an issue.
You mention failed bearings.
They say you’re supposed to let the turbo cool down but I’ve always seen it as bad to shut the engine off when the turbos could be spinning at higher RPMs, how’s the oil supply to them after you shut it down if they’re still spinning fast ?

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.

Last edited by 455Grandville; 07-10-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:50 AM
Senior Chief

Why I believe that turbosuperchargers need an EGR (two if biturbo) and if high after a hard pull, need to idle until the come back down. Just like walking a horse.

My NA tow car has oil pressure and temperature plus coolant temp and trans temp readouts and were stock. Last NA Corvair had dual CHTs. I like to know what is going on.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Ecoboost turbos have been very reliable, but anything can go bad. I have an Ecoboost F150 and frequent the bigger sites. Both going bad? Doubtful, but who knows what the first owner did. I’d take it to a dealer.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Call Ford's main office directly and ask for recalls or warranty info on it. That's how I got an extended warranty on our 2014 Focus we bought used in 2016, because of the transmission causing front wheel drive shudder.

Dealers will tell you all kinds of BS so they can charge up the wazoo to repair it. That what the crooked Ford dealer did to us. Ford gave use a 150,000 mile warranty on the transmission and told us to go to another ford dealer for repairs After the 5th time at a different Ford dealer it's working ok...... knock on wood.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have posted this previously in other threads, and it may/may not be applicable to the Ecoboost.

When I special-ordered the 1979 Ford Turbo-Cobra, the magazines were making all kinds of less than glowing comments about the turbo, type of oil, price of tea, whatever.

So I called the Ford main office, and asked the question about type of oil. I was referred to someone, asked the question again, and was told "I don't know, but hold on". Some 3~5 minutes later another gentleman came on the line and asked if he could help. I repeated the question. He laughed, said you must have been reading the magazines. He told me he was the engineer on the turbo project (by the way, Tom V. knows this gentleman) and if I planned to run the " " out of the car, I needed to make certain that the oil had an anti-frothing additive, as the turbo spins up to more than 30,000 RPM. He suggested using the Ford Motorcraft oil. But he told me more important than the choice of oil was to make certain to idle the engine for 30 seconds prior to turn-off. This because the turbo uses engine oil pressure, and if the engine was turned off before the turbo spun down, the pressure would go away, and as a result the turbo could experience bearing failure. I listened, and have always used Ford Motorcraft oil, and idled the engine prior to shut-off. The engine still runs about as well as it did when I brought it home.

I have always been impressed that Ford thought enough of a customer to put an engineer on the phone to help the customer.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:22 PM
Boost Engineer

I have never seen a ECOBOOST turbo failure that was not caused by something else.
Shutting off the engine and running for the bathroom after a long high speed 75+ mph on the highway for an hour or more. Garrett Turbos, who made the turbo on Jon's 1979 Mustang, was telling people this back in 1979.

This is one reason why manufacturers went to water cooled turbos on some applications.
Not all turbos have water cooling as it is not necessary unless you abuse the turbo by not letting the thing cool off for a couple of minutes if you have been driving at high speeds. Every day driving on city streets (without the high turbo speeds) will never cause harm to the turbo(s).

I remember that conversation, Jon, and very happy that you still have the car today.
Even in 1979, I was the guy they sent people to if they had Turbo questions, and Ford had 38,000 engineers at the Engineering Center in Dearborn, Michigan back in those days. I also followed the EPA Testing on that vehicle.
My Boss was Homer Perry who was the race manager for Ford for the 1966,1967,1968,& 1969 Ford GT-40 Le Mans
wins. Another Engineer I believe you spoke with was Henry "Hank" Dertian, who worked with me on the program and was later a big part of the later SVO Turbo Mustangs and the T-Bird Turbo programs.

Tom V.

The picture is of a 1968 corvette with twin turbos that I bought the turbos for in 1977 and we installed them along with Corvette Mechanical Fuel Injection on a friends car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tomvaught 1978.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	569574  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 07-11-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Ben M, If the dealership has not gone over the WHOLE Turbo System, and CHECKED FOR LEAKS, they are a bit premature in condemning the turbos, take it to a dealer who knows something about Turbo Systems and have him contact a Factory Dealer Service Representative from Dearborn Michigan.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A few ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
My sister and her husband bought a 2017 Expedition with the ecoboost engine 18 months ago, with 75k miles on it. Fast forward and they call me asking what I think about their turbo situation. Turns out the check engine light keeps coming on for the last 3-4 months. Her husband says it's "related to the turbo not making boost, I don't know" as he's not a car person. They took it to a shop and the shop said they were experiencing failure of both turbos, oil in them where it shouldn't be and failed bearings. They were quoted $3500 to replace them, which may be slightly high but if you factor in the cost of $1600 just for both turbos, it's not completely out of line in my opinion. They've only put 8k miles on it and during that time the oil has been changed twice already so they're definitely doing basic maintenance on it. I changed the spark plugs on it last summer and they were quite worn.

So... is this a thing? These turbos wear out this fast? My sister is concerned if they should fix it or just dump the car.
How does it run otherwise? Not making boost it would be pretty gutless. I'm not familiar with this type of turbo but does it have a waste gate or variable vane?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-11-2021, 03:16 PM
Boost Engineer

Variable vane used on Ford Diesel Trucks for several years.
Conventional Vane turbos used on Gas vehicles, like the 2017 Expedition.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2021, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Ben M, If the dealership has not gone over the WHOLE Turbo System, and CHECKED FOR LEAKS, they are a bit premature in condemning the turbos, take it to a dealer who knows something about Turbo Systems and have him contact a Factory Dealer Service Representative from Dearborn Michigan.
They took it to the local Ford dealer late last week. Dealer wanted $450 just to look at it (after having spent $375 at an independent shop already). They indicated they knew how the turbo system worked and that there were zero recalls for this car or engine and the only way a turbo fails on an Ecoboost is abuse and there’s no way it would be covered under any kind of warranty. And that it would be close to 5 figures to fix (without actually looking at it).

My sister and brother in law both got so mad at that answer they traded it in down the road at a Honda dealership for a used minivan. They came out money ahead on the deal too. Probably my sister’s last Ford - moms last Ford ended similarly at the dealer as well. Oh well. I tried!

Old 07-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did they check the Honda out thoroughly?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Did they check the Honda out thoroughly?
They don’t know much about cars. There was damage to the front bumper that the dealer tried to hide that they found and got them to knock off some of the price.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope everything works out for them. Trading a pickup for a minivan is a little odd, very different vehicles. Honda has had more than their share of mechanical issues as well. Most of their 4-cyl engines are big oil burners so make sure they check their oil often until they get a feel for the usage. Honda has had to replace pistons and rings under warranty on several million 2.4L engines. The Odyssey has a history of transaxle issues as well. The V-6 engine has been OK for the most part. IMO, it's a little unfair to blame a manufacturer, (Ford) for engine problems that have occurred with a previous owner over an extended time. It could have been a lease truck and never had a single oil change until it was turned back in. See that all the time and that will kill any turbo engine. 300 HP small turbo engines need meticulous service on time to live a long happy life.