THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default V-E day 75th anniversary

Today is the 75th anniversary of V-E day. For those who don't know, V-E day was the day that World War II ended in Europe.

My thanks go out to the Greatest Generation whose actions helped end the War.

Co-incidentally, the Greatest Generation made it possible for my family to come to the U.S. On MAy 4th, it was the 70th anniversary of our coming to the U.S.

I try to imagine what it must have been like for this small family to arrive in this strange place, full of apprehension, yet promise of a better life, considering the difficulties of the previous 10 years.

Many of the Greatest Generation have passed away, but to them and the surviving members, my gratitude for making our lives in this great country possible.

George

Old 05-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For those who are interested in vintage road racing, the Goodwood circuit in the UK (which was an air base during the war) is streaming an event for the 75th anniversary of VE day this weekend. Along with the races, in honor of VE day today's events included flybys of WWII aircraft (UK and US), a large parade of WWII military vehicles, interviews with veterans, and historical film clips.

Today's events can be watched on YouTube, and you can catch the rest of the weekend live (but remember the time difference between the US and UK, so it's all over here by mid morning.

Friday's events: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-aX2T2FF9s&t=175s
Schedule for the rest of the weekend: https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/hi...eam-timetable/

Last edited by Stuart; 05-08-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw a historical bit on this earlier in my social media feed;
I copied it and the images, and sent it to a wonderful gent who visits our office weekly (virus nonsense aside);
He was twenty-five, and working as a bomber (Lancaster) mechanic at the time.

This was his reply:
Quote:
Thank you Jonathan
yes I was there
our planes were in the air 24 /7 with supply's
to this day they are most grateful of the operation
I was 25 years old
my oh my how time fly's
The poor guy had all his family's plans for a birthday cancelled amidst this virus stuff.
https://www.highriveronline.com/loca...lots-of-wishes

He's actually more technologically literate than many people I know who are fourty years his junior!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VE is known as the day when Good triumphed over Evil.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We are watching WW II in high definition. Wife wants to see/hear how her father fought in Casablanca, Italy,Anzio,Southern France as a combat engineer. They ,soldiers, are in our prayers.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Default One sentence...

For perhaps one of the greatest victories in history. Amazing, and typically Ike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	war-message-l.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	539680  

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 05-08-2020, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I read an article, likely on the internet...Elderly gentlemen getting off plane in France, in terminal. The Frenchman tending to him is giving him heat because he didn't have his passport, out and ready. The French airport worker kept pressing him for his passport. The passenger interrupted the worker, told him, "the last time I was here, I didn't need a passport. The worker snottily, replied, When was that??? He said. June 6th, 1944.....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-09-2020, 07:33 AM
Senior Chief

If any one is intrested in really good read of D-Day check "The Longest Day" by Cornelius Ryan.

And although its about the war in the Pacific the best WWII memoir is "With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge.

Truely are the greatest generation, gave it all without a second thought.

83 Mustang GT sold
Old 05-09-2020, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very Thankful to all who served and sacrificed for our Country.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
The Following User Says Thank You to thepontiacman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil400 View Post
If any one is intrested in really good read of D-Day check "The Longest Day" by Cornelius Ryan.

And although its about the war in the Pacific the best WWII memoir is "With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge.

Truely are the greatest generation, gave it all without a second thought.
I had seen Mr. Sledge on several Military Channel shows, speaking of his experiences in the Pacific. It seems like all the shows quit airing after the deaths of folks in them. ALL were very good shows. Things that will never show up in history text books. Mr. Sledge wrote of his experiences down in his issued Bible. No one was allowed to record a journal. His book came from those writings in his Bible. Mr. Sledge went to college after his return from the war, via the G.I. bill. He was in some sort of class, the teacher asked a question, possibly directed at him, he didn't have an answer.... I think it was a woman. She asked him, saracstically, "Well Mr. Sledge, didn't they teach you ANYTHING in the Army??? He replied, Yes, I was trained to kill Japs!!!

I don't have Mr. Sledge's book, but intend to some day soon...I wonder if Mr. Dillon has read it???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 05-09-2020, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I had seen Mr. Sledge on several Military Channel shows, speaking of his experiences in the Pacific. It seems like all the shows quit airing after the deaths of folks in them. ALL were very good shows. Things that will never show up in history text books. Mr. Sledge wrote of his experiences down in his issued Bible. No one was allowed to record a journal. His book came from those writings in his Bible. Mr. Sledge went to college after his return from the war, via the G.I. bill. He was in some sort of class, the teacher asked a question, possibly directed at him, he didn't have an answer.... I think it was a woman. She asked him, saracstically, "Well Mr. Sledge, didn't they teach you ANYTHING in the Army??? He replied, Yes, I was trained to kill Japs!!!

I don't have Mr. Sledge's book, but intend to some day soon...I wonder if Mr. Dillon has read it???

I highly reccomend his book. It's a heavy read but so Honest in the writing. And he never for one minute compares his experience to any one else or says his was worse or anything, he just tells you his experience. If your intrested in WWII this is the book you want to read.

83 Mustang GT sold
Old 05-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

phil4oo...read that book several years ago, great book. Yes they were the "greatest generation". They saved the world.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil400 View Post
I highly reccomend his book. It's a heavy read but so Honest in the writing. And he never for one minute compares his experience to any one else or says his was worse or anything, he just tells you his experience. If your intrested in WWII this is the book you want to read.
His interviews on those old shows were the real deal, as you are describing his book. I don't even have any television service at the moment. First the History Channel had military stuff on it, the the Military Channel. I'm not sure if there's any channels that have much stuff like they used to...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 05-10-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I read an article, likely on the internet...Elderly gentlemen getting off plane in France, in terminal. The Frenchman tending to him is giving him heat because he didn't have his passport, out and ready. The French airport worker kept pressing him for his passport. The passenger interrupted the worker, told him, "the last time I was here, I didn't need a passport. The worker snottily, replied, When was that??? He said. June 6th, 1944.....
I also love the story of when Charles DeGaulle in 1966 demanded that all US troops be removed from France, Secretary of State Dean Rusk asked if the demand also included the 60,000+ soldiers buried in France from World War I and World War II.

DeGaulle, embarrassed, got up and left and never answered.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Grandfather and his men knew the war was over - or at least their European theater of it was over - when his tank squad with the 69th Infantry were the first to meet and make contact with Russian troops at the Elbe River on April 25 1945
Herman L. Amos - Sargent US Army - Sherman Tank , Ford V8

The bridge was in ruins, and they (US Forces) were told not to attempt crossing it or confronting with Russian troops.
Hold at the bank of the Elbe.

But many many Russian troops immediately made their way across the destructed bridge like acrobats
and came over to them to celebrate.
They laughed and cried together

Old 05-10-2020, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He drove nothing but Fords after the war
That tank carried him across Germany with a Ford V8.

His tank was the sole survivor of the original 777th Division.
Their numbers dropped so low, they had to join up with the 69th
They ran on the front line

Old 05-10-2020, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegpho View Post
DeGaulle, embarrassed, got up and left and never answered.
Sometimes a smack in the face, returns a solid punch to the gut.
Bonjour' , Dean Rusk

Old 05-10-2020, 07:54 AM
Senior Chief

There’s definitely something to be said about there generation. My grandfather was a Navy man that went on to the Air Force after for the Korean War. Long and odd story behind this. Needless to say he went on to live a fairly normal life. After the war he became a Tool and Die maker that provided him and his family well. The man could do math in his head like no one I had ever seen. Worked hard all his life and had that fire that most are lacking today. The man had done a lot of things in his life but the proudest moments for him we’re his time in the military. What stories he would tell you could see him reliving them in his mind as he would tell them. The day we laid him to rest was a rough day.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:20 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=77 TRASHCAN;61
I don't have Mr. Sledge's book, but intend to some day soon...I wonder if Mr. Dillon has read it???[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have. By the way, He was a Marine, not a soldier.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 05-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife's Grandmother was sharp as a whip right up until she passed away at the age of 103. I could listen to her for hours talking about their experience in Holland, living through **** occupation. The best one was when she looked out the window and saw the German army running away down the road to her left and a few moments later the Canadians arriving from the right.