Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Cometic MLS Head Gasket Dowel Holes

Has anyone had trouble installing these head gaskets lately. It appears one dowel hole is slightly smaller than the other and will not slide over the dowel pins in my block. My old ones fit fine. Can you drill or ream the hole larger?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Suspended

Take a small socket that just fits over the dowel and tap them on it will be fine

Old 04-13-2018, 04:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That just happened to me. Its the center to center distance between the front and back dowel holes in the gasket . There off from the dowels in the block. I got mine on but what I don't like is the gasket didn't lay flat, it had a slight ripple in it after getting it to fit down over the dowels... I just torqued the head down over it. But next time ill file the hole until it goes on with no effort...

Old 04-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
Take a small socket that just fits over the dowel and tap them on it will be fine
This

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 04-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Boost Engineer

I will file the one hole slightly too Charlie.
A few minutes of work and a air/spray wash and back in business.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just had same problem with SBC filed holes do it with the Pontiac gaskets to

Old 04-13-2018, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I will file the one hole slightly too Charlie.
A few minutes of work and a air/spray wash and back in business.

Tom V.
If you don't file it , it will not sit flat. It will have a ripple in the way it lays down against the block and the head... Not sure if its a good thing to clamp down on it like that....

Old 04-14-2018, 12:30 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
If you don't file it , it will not sit flat. It will have a ripple in the way it lays down against the block and the head... Not sure if its a good thing to clamp down on it like that....
Not a problem I have never filed the hole bigger.. you can if it makes you warm and fuzzy inside .. ..Honda gasket have this problem all the time ..Like I said ...Take a small socket that just fits over the dowel and tap them on it will be fine ..Try not to over think it..lol

Old 04-14-2018, 05:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not a problem I have never filed the hole bigger.. you can if it makes you warm and fuzzy inside .. ..Honda gasket have this problem all the time ..Like I said ...Take a small socket that just fits over the dowel and tap them on it will be fine ..Try not to over think it..lol
Forcing it down with a socket might get it down, but filing is the way to go. So if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy beating your motor , go for it.....

Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Boost Engineer

Over-thinking comments just means that you really do not care about doing it correctly or are lazy in your engine builds.

The gasket is telling you something. either it is slightly wrong or the dowel pins in that Pontiac block are slightly closer together. Would assume nothing on that deal. But a GREAT Engine Builder Richie Hoffman has posted that he files the hole. That is good enough for me (who also files the hole). No overthinking, just "thinking period" vs shade tree stuff. I have seen a ton of shadetree outfits that completed a job quickly, even from some "machine shops" who should know better but they were also lazy and just want the money.
But you go right ahead and do it "your way", this is America, but don't reply with a negative comment just because I agree with Richie and Charlie.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 04-14-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom...

If the gasket material is rippling as the straight edge of the head is baring down on it, it starts to fatigue as the head forces it to distort / wrinkle somewhat in the area it finally settles down at. I've done it and had the gasket fail at high boost levels. After taking it off and setting it on down on the bench it was not laying flat anymore in that area. Its was effected . After you torque the head down like that , take a look at the side view where you can see it sandwiched between the head and the block from the valley pan area and you will see a wave in the overhanging part of gasket. That explains it all... Clamped down or not it stays wrinkled ..

Old 04-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Over-thinking comments just means that you really do not care about doing it correctly or are lazy in your engine builds.

The gasket is telling you something. either it is slightly wrong or the dowel pins in that Pontiac block are slightly closer together. Would assume nothing on that deal. But a GREAT Engine Builder Richie Hoffman has posted that he files the hole. That is good enough for me (who also files the hole). No overthinking, just "thinking period" vs shade tree stuff. I have seen a ton of shadetree outfits that completed a job quickly, even from some "machine shops" who should know better but they were also lazy and just want the money.
But you go right ahead and do it "your way", this is America, but don't reply with a negative comment just because I agree with Richie and Charlie.

Tom V.
Not lazy Tom never had a failed one yet .. carry on

Old 04-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
Forcing it down with a socket might get it down, but filing is the way to go. So if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy beating your motor , go for it.....
My motor has been together since 2012 it made 810 n/a new combo 787hp on pump gas and was built for nitrous and street driven so yes I will go for it ....I feel warm and fuzzy having two expert like you and Tom here ....

Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Boost Engineer

Ah, But you are a NA Guy that made 810 NA, and a good number there.

Charlie, with 1/2 the engine you have (4 cylinders) made basically the same HP number on boost. So you could say that the cylinder pressures that the gasket was seeing MIGHT be a BIT different. Can you agree with that?

So a generic statement, by you may not apply here. You "force" the gasket over the dowel and we file the hole, and let it lay flat as designed.

BUT "warm and fuzzy" IS DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

Have a great day. If a third person is reading the posts they should be able to decide which way THEY want to go.

Tom V.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally speaking, the harder you push an engine, the fewer shortcuts you can get away with.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 04-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Generally speaking, the harder you push an engine, the fewer shortcuts you can get away with.

Eric
Ditto!

GTO George

Old 04-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Ah, But you are a NA Guy that made 810 NA, and a good number there.

Charlie, with 1/2 the engine you have (4 cylinders) made basically the same HP number on boost. So you could say that the cylinder pressures that the gasket was seeing MIGHT be a BIT different. Can you agree with that?

So a generic statement, by you may not apply here. You "force" the gasket over the dowel and we file the hole, and let it lay flat as designed.

BUT "warm and fuzzy" IS DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

Have a great day. If a third person is reading the posts they should be able to decide which way THEY want to go.

Tom V.
Ok thanks Tom have a good weekend

Old 04-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

Eric
Agreed this is not a shortcut ..I cannot afford shortcuts .. ps love the car got a few t-shirt from you at Norwalk Best of luck this season.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Ok thanks Tom have a good weekend
Mark,
Sometimes its better to ignore people who haven't /or can't done/do it.

GTO George

Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Read the whole thread George, I ALREADY said that I have filed the too small hole in the gasket IN THE PAST, Just like Charlie and Richie H.

Did you fail 3 grade reading George or are you just trying to stir the Chit like every other post?
I think you just a bored drag racer. By the way how did your recert go that was supposed to happen?

Tom V.