Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Are there blower motors that blow harder than stock?

This is for my 72 Formula with a/c but also have a 69 GTO and was wondering are there any options out there for blower motors or blower motor fans that blow harder than stock for better cooling?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Didn't I see you on Sheridan and 46th the other day?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
Didn't I see you on Sheridan and 46th the other day?
Why yes, yes you did.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I put my car together and had the front cap off I made sure I put in a new AC Delco heater core and blower motor. Well I have no problem with the heater core but blower motor squeals at times. Its very annoying. If I go up and down with fan speed and it goes away. What pisses me off is; I went through the trouble and expense not have stupid problems like that but here I am.

To answer your question though is; not really.
What I did was I replaced my evorator core for good flow, was very careful to make sure all my duct work was right on and both blend doors operated properly.
That all worked fine, then later changed my alternator to a C-130. That alone made a big difference with blower speed and window speed. Went from 80 amp to 120 amp. Cools my car right down on our hottest humid days.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 10-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
When I put my car together and had the front cap off I made sure I put in a new AC Delco heater core and blower motor. Well I have no problem with the heater core but blower motor squeals at times. Its very annoying. If I go up and down with fan speed and it goes away. What pisses me off is; I went through the trouble and expense not have stupid problems like that but here I am.

To answer your question though is; not really.
What I did was I replaced my evorator core for good flow, was very careful to make sure all my duct work was right on and both blend doors operated properly.
That all worked fine, then later changed my alternator to a C-130. That alone made a big difference with blower speed and window speed. Went from 80 amp to 120 amp. Cools my car right down on our hottest humid days.
My blower motor I just installed squeals occasionally too, usually for about a half minute or so after putting on the a/c then it stops.

A better alternator did it for you? Maybe I could get a stock one rebuilt with more amps added.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=761982

This worked for me. A few in this thread got lost in the part number game.

I can only reiterate what I tried to explain in my thread, you can poke around on your keyboard all day or you can go to NAPA, or whoever your friendly parts store is, as I did and give it the real world test. If it doesn't work for you well then leave your existing blower in place and move on.

Maybe this Caprice blower motor AND an upgraded 120 amp alternator ( as Frankie TA suggested) would provide even more air.

As a precaution I added few drops of oil to the shaft where it enters the motor.
I know what a pain it is to get to this thing.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The duct work foam tape to dash and defrost vents could be deteriorated or missing causing a pressure loss on which ever mode you are using. Especially if the system has been disassembled for a heater core replacement. There is a plastic connector that connects heater box to defrost ducts that could be improperly installed or missing. And the heater box doors should be checked for proper sealing in both directions and vacuum servo operation.

Under dash work take patiences, organization, attention to small details, and an ability to contort your body to odd positions. Previous experience is helpful but not mandatory. Shop manual is a plus for finding hidden screws and nuts. Front seats removed is helpful but not mandatory.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure you take pull out and clean the evaporator. These cars have no filters for the AC system and this can happen. This evap was almost completely plugged up. You could barely see sun through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC stuff 001.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	409813  

Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with the same blower motor as Bobalong. I fabricated a 1/2" spacer with 1/2" plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC stuff 002.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	409814  

Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Make sure you take pull out and clean the evaporator. These cars have no filters for the AC system and this can happen. This evap was almost completely plugged up. You could barely see sun through it.
Good point. when I took all my under the hood stuff apart during the previous build, the bottom 1/3 of the evaporator was caked in grease and stuff. That's an automatic 33% reduction in air flow.