Old 07-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fan Shroud, somethings not right

Picked up a shroud yesterday, got the one with no a/c, seems like this puppy isnt gonna fit one or the other. LOL

Can anyone with a 66-67 Gto send me some pics on how they have theres........my rad isnt stock, but the hoses are in the correct position, looks like the bottom hose might made it thru the hole. But i don"t think so.

Other issue is somewhere in this cars life, someone cut those fins off that you attatch the shroud to.

If possible , post a pic here or to Richs66@charter.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shroud pics (1).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	369993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shroud pics (2).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	369994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shroud pics (3).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	369995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shroud pics (4).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	369996  

Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, just my but I think the radiator is the problem. Plus not being able to mount the shroud properly. I'll try and get a photo to you tonight of mine with a stock radiator setup.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Gary, could you get some meausments on your rad also, i can"t believe my rad is too big, looks like a little wimp if you ask me. LOL.............Im wondering if the a/c shrould would work better, even though i don"t have air.

Would like to see some pics from others if possible too.........doesn"t look like this is gonna be a smooth operation.

Hate to start hacking it up, might as well run without then.

Rich

Old 07-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, it's a stock non a/c radiator size wise. The only difference from stock is the SLK core I had installed. Still a 3 row but now like a 4 row with all the extra tubes and fins.

Photos of the right side only as I can't get a camera in to get photos of the left side that will show much detail.

Just asking.... Did the core support come this way with the aluminum radiator when you bought the car, or did you cut it up to get the aluminum radiator in?

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Rich, it's a stock non a/c radiator size wise. The only difference from stock is the SLK core I had installed. Still a 3 row but now like a 4 row with all the extra tubes and fins.

Photos of the right side only as I can't get a camera in to get photos of the left side that will show much detail.

Just asking.... Did the core support come this way with the aluminum radiator when you bought the car, or did you cut it up to get the aluminum radiator in?
Gary, the rad is a Howe, it was in the car when i bought it 15 yrs ago, no idea why the fins that mount the shrould are gone, looks like the rad would fit anyways. so who knows.

Seeing the rad is 15 + yrs old already, i guess i could get another one, would like to make this work if i could, you know how tight i am. LOL

Lately its been one thing after another on this car, thought this would be a 20 minute job, wrong again. LOL

Rich

Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope the photos help Rich. I say the only way to get the shroud to install properly is to have those mounting brackets back. Even if you have to make up something just where it would bolt up normally (4 bolts). Easier than trying to make the whole bracket for each side. Some scrap metal bent to work should do it.

The only other thing would be a new core support. But that's expensive and a lot of work.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I hope the photos help Rich. I say the only way to get the shroud to install properly is to have those mounting brackets back. Even if you have to make up something just where it would bolt up normally (4 bolts). Easier than trying to make the whole bracket for each side. Some scrap metal bent to work should do it.

The only other thing would be a new core support. But that's expensive and a lot of work.
Thanks Gary, I don"t think its gonna fit even with making some kind of bracket in place of where the mounting brackets should be.

Its hitting the lower hose, then it you can"t even put it in straight because it hits the top hose, then on the pass side its hitting my filler tube.

Im thinking of trying to use the a/c version, that has two curves on top for the hoses, and one curve for the lower hose. Gonna get some measurments on that first, or im gonna end up with two brand new shroulds and not be able to use any one.

Rich

Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck Rich, I hope it all works out and you get that car out on the road real soon.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, im thinking this might work, worried about dropping another $100 , with my luck it wont fit.

You can see the curves im talking about on the top, and the one on the bottom for the hose.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fan shrould.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	370031  

Old 07-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did you get your current shroud from? I wouldn't buy a new one.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul, bought it from a guy at the swap meet up in Iola, Wi.........its from Ames, gonna see if i can get hold of him and make a switch, but im thinking with this aftermarket rad, nothing is gonna fit right.

Rich

Old 07-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, just by looking at your radiator I can see even the new shroud won't work. Part of the radiator will still show as it does with the one you have now in the photos. Just my again.

And... I can see why the brackets for the shroud are gone. The brackets on that aluminum radiator are welded on and it wouldn't work with the core supports shroud brackets. So the fool cut them off.

If I might make a suggestion. Sell that aluminum piece of poo and get a replacement for the original radiator but a 4 core. Then make up the shroud brackets for it. It'll look better too with the hood open at car shows. I could direct you to the SLK core I have IF you have a set of original radiator tanks. But the bad news is the SLK core will set you back at least $410.00 installed. As I've said before it will be like having a 4 core radiator with the look of a 3 core... and in black too. Nothing worse than looking at the front end of a 66 or 67 and seeing that silver radiator showing thru the grills. So if you keep it paint the front of it black.... better yet, all of it.

Send me an email of what measurements you want and I'll get everything out to you later on or tonight. Or call me.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"

Last edited by GT182; 07-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, I just took a look at my core support to compare it with your photos. From what I can see, they cut the core support and removed the section where the shroud would bolt on. Not good IMHO. So unless you have the pieces they cut off, it looks like you'll have no proper way to attach a shroud in it's proper location.

Call me. I sent you a PM with my number.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An aluminum radiator with the proper surface area (core size) and proper tube sizing will cool the car it's going into. You just have to make sure it's installed properly.

A shroud should cover as much of the core as possible. Whatever it doesn't cover will not be as useful transferring heat.

Flow through the core is important, and it needs to be outside air. You should make baffles that force air from the grills through the core, and not allow engine compartment air to get sucked around the side of the radiator. This is just as critical as using a shroud. Couple pieces of hard rubber or plastic and some hot water heater foam tubing is all it takes.

There are plenty of aftermarket generic shrouds that are made to fit whatever core you have, it doesn't have to be a factory one. AllStar has ones that are like $70, just need to know what your core dimensions are:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+shroud&_rdc=1

A little more and you can get one with an electric fan if you wanted to.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1_1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	370080  

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So checking on core size, found this, it has 1 1/8 wide tubes, and anything over an inch is great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-GTO-Ra...7b9749&vxp=mtr

IF you were to buy a new radiator, something like that would be the way to go.

Anyway, core size is just under 16x24, pretty common shroud size, shouldn't be hard to find one.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks alot Mike, im gonna check those out.........my car really doesn"t over heat per say, on the highway, driving a couple hours, im lucky to hit 180......

In the city it will creep up slowly to 195 ish, then thats when i throw the elec pusher fan on, and it stays at that temp while driving around, now if its its sitting awhile and not moving it will start to creep up again.

Ive been doing this for the last ten years, with a 6 blade fan & no shrould.

Just thought the shrould would help some, even though i hate the looks of that mother. LOL

Thanks

Rich

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Shoot, at those temps, I would leave it alone, there's no problem there.