Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Removing anodizing

What's the best way to get anodizing off aluminum trim? Seems like I recall that
Easy-Off oven cleaner was a good way. Is that still a solution? The parts are thin so want to keep abrasion down to a minimum. Thx in advance for any tips.

Randy A.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a home remedy - but i forgot what it is.
Not oven cleaner though , its one of the acids you can buy .
Oven cleaner is mostly used to remove paint from plastic and flexible parts.

I used to take moldings to a plating shop and have anodized removed.
It was a chemical process and risky on some parts .

64-65 post car moldings were VERY sensitive on the upper door moldings in the spot where the door glass meets the vent window frame .
The rest of the moldings never presented much trouble .

Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Draino in crystal form. Can get it at home depot. Amount of crystals depend on how much water you will be using. Put parts in mixture and let them soak until parts turn almost black then brush them off. Wear gloves and don't let it hit your skin.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sodium Hydroxide is what is used to strip anodizing. It's a base, not an acid. Oven cleaner is one product that contains it, drain cleaner is another.

The easy way is if you can find a local anodizing shop, and have them strip the parts for you. I restored a '66 F-100 and had a local shop strip the trim for me, it wasn't very expensive and saved me a lot of dirty work.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i used draino worked great and fast. made a troft from 4" pvc pipe capped off then cut in half length wise.