THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default USS IOWA

Too hot to stay home so we went to see the USS IOWA BB-61. Just WOW!!! Its just open for tours last month. They have a simple walk around open for now with more areas to be open soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_12-03-56_15.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	294198   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_12-05-50_860.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	294199   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_12-20-29_420.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	294200   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_12-20-58_256.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	294201   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_12-25-29_788.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	294202  

Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default More Pictures

More
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-08-11_13-45-41_359.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	294203   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_13-47-28_585.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	294204   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_13-47-33_337.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	294205  

Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Suspended

When we went to the Mighty Mo and Bowfin, they had AC piped in. It was still hot though, on July 4th 2001.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

Not a heist but what would you pay to see that main gun turret thats all 3 16" guns or better yet a full volley all 9 guns,
'

Michael Hughes Sr
1966 GTO Convertable: Stolen never recovered
1966 GTO Hard Top .30 over 455 4-Speed 3:23 Posi
Old 08-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been through the USS Alabama 6-8 times over the years. Never fails to impress. The last couple of times they had a one of the 16" turrets open. Looks like a HELL of a place to spend a shift. Those babies could fire a shell and they were accurate.......

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Looking forward to boarding the IOWA sometime in the coming weeks when I pick up a car on the coast. Have been aboard 2 of her sisters and all of the BBs on the mainland.

Let's see...

Texas- out of Houston
New Jersey- Camden
Massachusetts- Battleship cove
Alabama- Mobile
North Carolina- Wilmington
Winsconsin- Norfolk
and now Iowa at San Pedro

Probably will not get to see the Might Mo- BB63 in Hi.

Of all of them, the older ships have the advantages of being able to see more of them.

I spent a lot of time in the Massachusettes and the North Carolina and would encourage everyone to see these impressive, mighty warships.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Steve, maybe by the time you get here they will have more of the ship open! Can someone tell me if flying the colors form the mast is typical in port?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjay View Post
Steve, maybe by the time you get here they will have more of the ship open! Can someone tell me if flying the colors form the mast is typical in port?
Maybe but, I think the navy is keeping the IOWA's pretty snugged up on the inside. They are on some sort of reserve staus, unlike the South Dakota and North Carolina classes.
The Wisconson was kept that way and there were navy personel on board.. You got the impression that these monsters are kept in very good shape if ever called on again. Oh, and never say never about the IOWA's.

They are beyond cool, all of them.

Hosting-
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM

I was going out diving one morning in Nov 86, off Elliot Key in So Fla, and saw a Battleship in the Gulf Stream. I couldn't believe my eyes, so we went out to see it. It was the USS Wisconsin being towed by a Navy Ocean Tug named Mohawk. We pulled along side the Wisconson, and three guys came out on deck. I asked them the name and where were they going. They told us the name and said South. I said where South, the reply was South. I knew the only Battleship commissioned at the time was the New Jersey. I later found out it was going to Mississippi. A year or so later, it came back and was re-commissioned in Ft Lauderdale. I got to go see that too.
You can see the tow line on the bow. We saw the ship for about 90 minutes, as the stream was flowing against them pretty hard. It was a real rush..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	USS Wisconsin 001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	294287   Click image for larger version

Name:	USS Wisconsin 002.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	294288  

Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
I was going out diving one morning in Nov 86, off Elliot Key in So Fla, and saw a Battleship in the Gulf Stream. I couldn't believe my eyes, so we went out to see it. It was the USS Wisconsin being towed by a Navy Ocean Tug named Mohawk. We pulled along side the Wisconson, and three guys came out on deck. I asked them the name and where were they going. They told us the name and said South. I said where South, the reply was South. I knew the only Battleship commissioned at the time was the New Jersey. I later found out it was going to Mississippi. A year or so later, it came back and was re-commissioned in Ft Lauderdale. I got to go see that too.
You can see the tow line on the bow. We saw the ship for about 90 minutes, as the stream was flowing against them pretty hard. It was a real rush..
Wow! What a rush that must have been, esp since you were not aware it was going through there. What kind of boat were you in?

Thanks for sharing. I looked into joining the navy in the mid 80s when they were recommisioning these Iowa class ships. I wanted to serve on one pretty bad at the time.

Hosting-
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
Wow! What a rush that must have been, esp since you were not aware it was going through there. What kind of boat were you in?

Thanks for sharing. I looked into joining the navy in the mid 80s when they were recommisioning these Iowa class ships. I wanted to serve on one pretty bad at the time.
A 31 Chris Craft Scorpion 311 center console, twin 200 Mercs.. It was the actual boat Mercury used in 86 for it's ads, called "Fly Fishing".

The Navy was good to me. I'm a Nam war Marine. They treated us well.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjay View Post
The Ensign (colors) should be flown from the fantail when the ship is in port and mast underway.

I had the great fortune to get to land a helicopter on the Wisconsin back during Desert Storm. What a blast! There is more room on that flight deck than any other ship I'd ever landed on (including a carrier). You'd think that a carrier would be easy, but the deck is always full and they usually squeeze you in between a bunch of parked aircraft.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I toured the USS Missouri when I was a kid before it was recommissioned in the 80's. Very cool and impressive.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anybody know the military status of the USS Wisconsin and USS Iowa?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloMedic View Post
Not a heist but what would you pay to see that main gun turret thats all 3 16" guns or better yet a full volley all 9 guns,
'
http://youtu.be/vHSn1pjynng

Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just watched this and wanted to share. She looks to be in excellent condition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac2A5sFomEM

Hosting-
Old 08-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was on the Wisconsin three years ago, she was still pretty much in "mothballs". It was really WEIRD to see the officers' mess with the china STILL on the tables, not to mention the 'antique" Commadore 64 computers.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 PM

Excellent stories. When I was in my teens I stayed aboard the USS Massachusetts for a weekend and I will never forget that trip!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I've been through the USS Alabama 6-8 times over the years. Never fails to impress. The last couple of times they had a one of the 16" turrets open. Looks like a HELL of a place to spend a shift. Those babies could fire a shell and they were accurate.......
We toured USS Alabama while driving from Nawlins to P-Cola. My comment was "what a cute little battleship!" My woman thought I was nuts, but then I'm a Navy vet and have been aboard 2 Iowa-class BBs.

Ain't nothing like an Iowa class. Saw USS New Jersey doing a few fire missions up around the Z in 1968. Those 9-gun 16" volleys sure lit up the sky.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 09-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
I just watched this and wanted to share. She looks to be in excellent condition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac2A5sFomEM
Neat video with one exception; The photographer is using his video camera to take still photos simultaniously with the video. The resulting freeze-frame is an annoyance that interupts the flow of the scene.
I didn't know this useless gadgetry exsisted until I watched the clip.