THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Video game addict

How many know someone that is addicted to video games. My son is 23 living with his sister on there own. He has a part time job and spends every wakeing hour in his room playing video games. No girlfreind, no friends, no life other than working, sleeping and play video games. They are more importent than doing household responsablities like trash, cleaning the bathroom or doing laundry. I try to get through but it never does. I get "i am happy this way" and " I am not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal". He is wasteing his life away and I can't make him see it.

Any ideas on how I can make him see he has a problem?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

I'm 22 myself and know a few people like this. Getting through to them is near impossible for even someone their age. I have friends, a girlfriend, the GTO, multitudes of other good things in life. The one thing I do not have is video games. Never was allowed to by my parents growing up even if I was going to buy with my own money, nor do I have any interest in ever owning any. I thank them for this as when I was 14 I had enough money to buy the gto and have it running by the time I was 17.

I try to get people like this to come out to a mild outing. Show them that a good time can be had while not burning your eyes out in front of a TV all day. This has worked a few times, but obviously wouldn't work for a parent. There needs to be that other person their age to initiate it. I have found that if the person goes out and has a good time, they will usually be more open to it in the future (obviously). The people I have "helped" usually realize that being socially engaged with the opposite sex is a lot more fun. Not trying to be crude, but finding women does an amazing thing to guys to make them want to go out. lol

Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would purposely plan trips or places he likes to go and if he ask why he wasn't invited then I would bring the fact that he don't have time cause of his video games. I would also try to figure out if there was things outside the house he would love to do and do more of it as a possibility to get his attention away from his game.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 PM

What does it matter? If that's his thing, let him enjoy it. Mine does the same and he's not out knockin girls up, doing drugs, hanging out with idiots, out late driving drunk or driving with drunks on the road. He works, will take care of the important things and gets great grades.

If he's a good kid, just appreciate him for who and what he is.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM

I'll submit that at 23 years old... it may be a little late for life's "time-management" and "goal setting" lessons. At least he's not camped out at your house.

I'll add that my 15 y/o son (lives with his mother, not me) would like to live the same life if he could. He was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome a couple years ago, which is a form of Autism.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Dont worry about about it. Games are getting more and more boring, he will look for other things to do sooner or later

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to do nothing but play video games. Then I decided to finish school as that was more important. You can't force him to stop playing, especially if he really enjoys it. Focus on him at least having a job and not being a junkie, stealing or knocking up girls.

Yeah, you'd like him to be more motivated and do more things, but not everyone is motivated at that particular age. He'll grow out of it eventually - even if it takes longer than you think it should.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Any ideas on how I can make him see he has a problem?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

I'm a pretty hard core Video game addict. At one point when I was broke it was the only thing that I could do and not spend lots of money. I've slowly worked my way out of the 12+ hours a day I used to play. Things like a job and paying bills and real live things always take priority in my world. My home is clean and the pets are fed and cared for. I've been working on my Vega project one small step at a time. I still play a lot. Including my new game World of Tanks. But, Real life always takes priority.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM

haha a wallet warrior on a car forum, who knew! Zadrin if you want to look me up

but on topic, he is on his own, working. He is fine. My brother was just like him, but he got the real life bug and now is productive!