Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Default Cost of home security system installation?

How much does the typical sytem cost to install on a two story Ranch style home?

EDIT: The previous owner installed bars on the lower level windows and sliding glass door in the back. I removed the front security door and now that is my weak link. I still have the door, but I don't like the look of bars on my front door.

The front door is my 'fear factor' regarding a break in anyway.

Last edited by PonchoV8; 02-26-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default SECURITY

VECTOR INSTALLED THE SYSTEM FOR ZERO. I DID BUY TWO SMOKE DETECTORS & A SPECIAL MOTION SENSOR ( DOG WALKING AROUND )IT COST $300.00 FOR THE ITEMS, $29.99 MONTH FOR MONITORING

Old 02-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Do you feel that $30 a month is a good value? I was thinking of a non-service contract setup with a super loud siren. I have stay at home neighbors to both sides and across the street. The neighbor to the rear MIGHT work, but it doesn't seem like it.

You aren't related to Don Bennett from MO are you?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM

Check this site out. It also has links to companys that sell systems that the user can install.
Dan
http://scottelkin.com/archive/2007/0...ms-Review.aspx

Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8
Do you feel that $30 a month is a good value? I was thinking of a non-service contract setup with a super loud siren. I have stay at home neighbors to both sides and across the street. The neighbor to the rear MIGHT work, but it doesn't seem like it.

What if you and your neighbors are not home? I would go with the monitoring. If you are not home and the system is tripped they will call you to alert you and the authorities are dispached. Same goes if the fire alarm goes off. Well worth the $30 IMO.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default ALARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8

NO I AM NOT RELATED TO DON. I LIVE ON 10 ACRES & MY NEAREST NEIGHBOR IS ABOUT 2000 FEET. I MOVED TO SC FROM N.J. IN DEC 2005 WHEN I RETIRED

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most alarm companies make their money off the monitoring. I would recommend not signing a contract. You are stuck even if they provide unsatisfactory service. (most sell the contracts to 3rd parties). I believe Clark Howard has a lot of good alarm info on his site. I recently did some work for the regional sales manager of an alarm company we all know. He purchased a house without an alarm. I told him he shouldn't have any problem rectifying that. He said, " I'm not putting an alarm in my house, I got a dog. Personally I agree with him! You might consider just installing signs/decals!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Suspended

I think I'm going to install some sort of system, but I don't know about the monitoring. Our lots are 150x150 in a subdivision. One neighbor is a real estate agent that works from home. His wife doesn't work. Another is 70 and a cancer survivor that almost never leaves. Her husband does. Another neighbor is 70 and just goes to the store and church. The remaining neigbor works in the afternoon I think, but it looks like someone is always at home there too.

I don't want to get a dog yet. And the monitoring though cheap, seems that the only bennie for me is that they would call the police instead of a neighbor. The B&E types are usually gone within a very short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary bennett
NO I AM NOT RELATED TO DON. I LIVE ON 10 ACRES & MY NEAREST NEIGHBOR IS ABOUT 2000 FEET. I MOVED TO SC FROM N.J. IN DEC 2005 WHEN I RETIRED
Don's big into F-body cars. He's in his 60s and has a couple of SD birds and a turbo TA.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM

The more I think about these the more I like them. http://www.stopthecrime.com/products.htm
In a nutshell; Burglar breaks in and trips a motion sensor that triggers the release of enough pepper spray to clear 2000 sqft. No monitoring, no waiting on poice to arrive, easy to install, and the one product has multiple charges in case they try to come back later after setting it off. My dad just installed some at his place and in his business trailer after it was broken into recently.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Suspended

That's a great idea, unless you have pets.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Suspended

in my area, all home alarms in the county require a permit. if too many false alarms, they will bill you for a call out even if the system is monitored. Also the response time varies for un monitored home alarms compared to monitored ones. Also how many sensors, what type, how many key pads and remotes. Wireless versus wired? a three year contact is over $900 which gets you a very state of the art wireless system if you buy the parts yourself and install. Also, if they install and monitor, check whose equipment it is after the contract runs out and what is the service call \ equipment replacement cost, yours or theirs? lots of loopholes. Their equipment is overpriced.