Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Conformance Decal Comparison

Guys:

I have done a lot of investigation on this subject and this is what I have come up with. The following pictures are of the different options out there for new repopped Conformance decals available to us. I'm not naming names in this post. If you want to know where they come from, PM me and I will discuss it with you. Needless to say, there are huge differences in the level of quality. The differences come down to available paper to print on and more importantly, available fonts to choose from. I have also enclosed an original one to compare to even though it was on the car. What you need to pay attention to is font size, type, and spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 Conformance Decals 006.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	78979   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 Conformance Decals 007.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	78980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door_VIN_tag[1] (3).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	78981  

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been researching door stickers as well. I my opinion none of the reproductions use the correct font, although the picture you have in the middle is pretty close. I bought a blank blue door decal with the clear plastic overlay from Jim Osborne Reproductions and it looks excellent. I assume he is still selling them.

I was corresponding with a Pontiac guy out east a couple of years ago who was selling printed ones on ebay. We agreed that no one offered the correct font and the only right way to do it was to recreate the font or do it piecemeal from photoshopped examples of original stickers.

A font that is pretty close is http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/typodermic/chainprinter/
but it is quite different in some characters. I believe the correct font may be that of an IBM chain printer, but without examples to compare, I can't be sure. The originals look like they were printed through a cloth ribbon which gives each character a unique texture. Laser printed fonts are too crisp.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Chief

I thought the ones offered by Dave at ECS Automotive were the closest to my original. He is also working on the emissions decals for the core support.