Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Who makes the best piston ring?

Who makes the best piston ring set under $400? I personally am leaning toward the Childs & Albert ZGS (zero gap second) ring set. My engine builder has used them many times in the past with excellent results. (Mostly SBC & BBC engines)

IA2 Block / 4.35 Bore / Ross Custom dish

I received a set of Total Seal rings (CR6490 35)with my rotating assembly but it is not a true gapless ring so I'm switching to something different.

Anyone have experience with the C&A ZGS ring set, or want to recommmend another high quality gapless ring set?

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/

Last edited by R 70 Judge; 12-23-2006 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking to a class racer (400 Firebird) at Mission Raceway a couple of years ago. He said that they had changed to C&A ring packs and were very happy with the gain in et they experienced.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:41 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Yes, CR6490 35 is Total Seal's 'Classic' style ring set (not gapless). I have no personal experience with them.
You're sure to get lots of controversy on this question- there have been many posts here about dissatisfaction with gapless rings in Pontiacs. In my competition-only blown/unblown-alcohol engines, I was happy with the performance of Total Seal's gapless-second-ring sets, with moly-filled top and standard-tension oil rings (1/16, 1/16, 3/16). I chose a similar set for a street engine, but haven't yet run it. I have run their gapless-second-ring sets in two Kohler garden tractor engines for about twenty years now, and am very happy with them- other than the electric-start one doesn't want to crank very well!

Old 12-23-2006, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran the the C&A ZGS rings in my 400 and was very pleased.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My new motor is getting a C&A ZGS ringset.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've run both the C&A ZGS and Totalseal gapless with excellent results. Current comination has Totalseal.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but if I may bring up a question. Can you sucessfully run the gaples rings without running a vacuum pump? When we talk about gapless rings are we talking low tension or standard tension rings? Thanks.

Tim C

Old 12-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Suspended

I've run both C&A and Totalseal Gapless rings and been happy with both. As for who is best, I run both types in the same engine to know. But leakdown test have shown no regonizable differences. As for running without a vacuum pump, yes you can, they excel with the pump. Some claim high rpm flutter without a pump, but we never had that issue. Ringland placement can make a difference though.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
I've run both C&A and Totalseal Gapless rings and been happy with both. As for who is best, I run both types in the same engine to know. But leakdown test have shown no regonizable differences. As for running without a vacuum pump, yes you can, they excel with the pump. Some claim high rpm flutter without a pump, but we never had that issue. Ringland placement can make a difference though.
Ring land placement and also ring size. Most gapless rings are designed for higher rpm's so they are typically smaller than 1/16" (i.e. .043, .031 etc) which could cause flutter. The other issue is most gapless ring sets come with a low tension oil ring standard which could cause oil consumption in street driven applications. Just be sure to choose the best package for the intended useage.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never use or install gapless rings in any of my engines. Also the trend in the last 5 years is to run more gap on the second ring than the top ring. Why do you think that is???? It is because the pressure between the top and second rings needs to be ZERO, or the top ring seal will suffer. A traditional speedpro ring set is still one of the best choices. The stainless oil ring is second to none.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Post Ring choice

74ta.I agree with you.I have never run gapless rings and had great success with file fit sealed power sets.I have not tried the larger second ring gap however.Is there more power or just better ring life??

Old 12-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Suspended

70 Judge, Don,t laugh but im hearing Hastings has a great set of rings

Old 12-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser
70 Judge, Don,t laugh but im hearing Hastings has a great set of rings
According to Paul Spotts website he uses Hastings rings. I know some nice engines come out of his shop so they must be decent.

Jegs is having a sale on the Childs & Albert 4.38" bore ZGS rings right now. It's the wrong size ring for me, but I figured I'd pass it on.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...19349_-1_10221

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 12-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hastings makes a decent ring set. The oil ring that TS uses is sometimes from hastings.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the Hastings top ring. It has a bevel on the inside upper part of the ring that twists the ring upwards against the bore. On the power stroke, combustion pressure forces it down so that it is perpendicular to the bore for good seal. On the non-power strokes, it twists up & forms a sharp edge to scrape oil off the bore. The good thing about it also is that as it wears, the sharp edge remains & will continue to work for the life of the ring, & not go away after xx,000 miles.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Suspended

As they say, it all depends on the application !

Old 12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the more popular "name brand" rings are actually made by Hastings.

Tim C

Old 12-27-2006, 10:32 PM

Default rings

im using hastings power flex .BB chevy file fit 'using J.e pistons.good combo

Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge
Who makes the best piston ring set under $400? I personally am leaning toward the Childs & Albert ZGS (zero gap second) ring set. My engine builder has used them many times in the past with excellent results. (Mostly SBC & BBC engines)

IA2 Block / 4.35 Bore / Ross Custom dish

I received a set of Total Seal rings (CR6490 35)with my rotating assembly but it is not a true gapless ring so I'm switching to something different.

Anyone have experience with the C&A ZGS ring set, or want to recommmend another high quality gapless ring set?

I know it's not one of the choices, my pick is Speed Pro file fit rings. They are inexpensive compared to zero gaps and perform as well or better in every case I've encountered. Hastings is another popular choice in the shop where I work. Alcohol and supercharged applications have different requirements than naturally asperated. Those applications the zero gap has merit.