Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to link09
Default Turbo 400 Whine???

Any idea of what maybe happening to my T400. You kick it out of gear when driving & the whining stops. Is it on its last leg?? I had the car inspected a year ago for an out of province & had the guy change the tranny pan gasket & filter he said it looked like the reverse mod was going due to some white gunk in the filter?? Any idea's would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The first thing that comes to mind is low fluid level, or high fluid level. Either one can cause air ingestion, and air in the pump can make noise. Next would be a leaking filter-tube-to-case O-ring, for the same reason.

Any chance the vacuum modulator is bad? You would have fluid loss AND high pressure--another reason for the trans to whine.

I don't know what a reverse mod is, or why it would leave white gunk in the filter.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to link09

Thanks the fluid is a little +/- 1 quart high. I drove it last night for the first time in a couple weeks after fixing 2-Leaks & put to much fluid in. I just put a new vac mod in. I'll drain some fluid thanks again.