Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Aftermarket Shifter Mounting

This may or may not be a dumb question but, how are you guys mounting your aftermarket automatic shifters? I have a B&M Pro Stick that I've had mounted on a big and heavy piece of rectagular steel. I think it's a bit overkill and to heavy so want to change to somthing a bit more factory looking and a bit lighter.

Factory shifters are hooked to the floor with some sort of bracket, correct? Any ideas and pics. would be great.

Last edited by sharkbite; 05-18-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

bump for love

Old 05-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory shifter i had was mounted to the tranny. The only thing on the floor was a "porch" to mount the rubber boot.

George

Old 05-18-2006, 02:40 PM

The TH400 shifter on my 69 was actually mounted to the console box, which has a variety of little mounting brackets on the floor. The B&M is a bit of a pain in the arse, as the tranny hump is oddly shaped and you have to use a bunch of spacers to level the shifter out. I'm actually still working on it.
d

Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the large sheetmetal screws provided with the q-stick. thats it.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought about mounting it to the console box, but wasn't sure about how well that would hold.

George, are you talking about a 4 speed?

Old 05-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mine fit in my factory console...........
bolted it down to the floor

Old 05-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mr.Pushrod is that hooked directly to the floor? My shifter is not that tall to able to stick out the factory console.
So I think I have an idea that might work for attaching the shifter to the floor for good support of the shifter, yet pretty and light weight. I’m going to take the 1” wide 3/16” thick strip of metal and bend a square, weld it, and shape the contour of the transmission hump on one side (using the tool pictured) and leave the other side flat for the shifter mounting. The pic is kind of a sample or test of what I’m going to do. I’m thinking one in front and one in the back mounted to the floor and I should be good. Probably going to drill some holes in the bracket and spot weld to the floor (My 1350 yoke is so close I don’t to take chances with screws.) What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	braket_1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	53151  

Last edited by sharkbite; 05-18-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Alright, I know this may be a boring subject to some of you because it's not talking about heads or motor combo, but I know a hell of a lot of you have aftermarket shifters. So help a brother out here and tell me how you mounted them or if you think my idea will work. Sorry to seem grumpy, but getting feedback from you guys is a pain in the ass somtimes.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:31 AM

Seems a little overkill to me, unless you don't have room to get nutted bolts around your tranny yoke. If that's not the case, why not just bolt her to the floor and be done with it?

Old 05-19-2006, 12:54 PM

I recently installed a B&M Megashifter too by bolting it directly to the floor pan which we just replaced. I've attached some pics from the job. It was tricky getting at the bolt heads under the floor but doable. I also sealed the floorpan holes well with RTV silicone and used LocTite on the bolts to make sure it stays put. Shaping the shifter housing to fit properly on the floor and over the carpet and sound deadener took some patience but not too bad.
The other alternative is to weld up a bracket but in my case that was overkill.
Just make sure to position the shifter so that the cable is not pinched and operates smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	53182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	53183  

Old 05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my starshifter fit in the factory console bolted to the floor

'74 formula 400, w/shaker (3 scoops) black deluxe interior, '70 406 balanced assembly, .30 trw slugs, moly rings, 4x heads 2.11/1.77 stainless valves, ra 4 cam, e-rpm intake, holley 750 vac. sec, msd hei, hooker headers w/ dual 3'' flowmaster 50 series ending at axle, t400 w/ GM6 convertor, transgo shift kit, b&m starshifter, 3.08 gears, centerlines, 265/50-15 bfg's rear and 235/60-15 front...yes im over cammed but it is still very fun...
Old 05-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll have to post a pic of the shifter. The base of it is only about 3" tall, so it won't stick up throw the console with out some sort of bracket or riser under it. Thats what I'm tring to make or fab, that or I need to make up somthing to hook to the console box. I wasn't sure if automatic shifters came from the factory mounted to the console box. (It seems like the cable would be a big pain in the rear doing it like that)
Anyways, I was just tring to get some different ideas, thanks for your help.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bigblue66, that floor looks sweet!

Old 05-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite
Mr.Pushrod is that hooked directly to the floor? My shifter is not that tall to able to stick out the factory console.
So I think I have an idea that might work for attaching the shifter to the floor for good support of the shifter, yet pretty and light weight. I’m going to take the 1” wide 3/16” thick strip of metal and bend a square, weld it, and shape the contour of the transmission hump on one side (using the tool pictured) and leave the other side flat for the shifter mounting. The pic is kind of a sample or test of what I’m going to do. I’m thinking one in front and one in the back mounted to the floor and I should be good. Probably going to drill some holes in the bracket and spot weld to the floor (My 1350 yoke is so close I don’t to take chances with screws.) What do you think?
yes it's screwed into the floor.
raiseing it up off the floor and mounting it like that is fine .......make sure
its really solid. post some pics when you're done.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:30 PM

As I said, my factory shifter was mounted directly to the console, which is then bolted to the floor with a variety of small brackets.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't fully understand your setup, but can you weld a 1/2 x 2 x 4 to the floor. Then mount a piece of alum the size of your shifter base to the crs plate and mount the shifter the the alum plate. I did something similar to this when I switched to an auto trans and did not want to put any holes into the carpet.