The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Polishing stainless.

Does anyone know how to do this on the car? I just want to polish the rain gutter molding and the top of the tailgate trim. The rest of it will be painted. I can buy the trim that goes below the windshield so I am not worried about it. I thought about a dremel but that would take forever on the top of the tailgate trim.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hitman, I totally understand you not wanting to remove your brightwork. Re-attaching is comparable to giving birth.
Anyways, I used 2000 grit wet-dry with lots of water. If I had 2500 or 3000 I would have used that. Being that you probably don't keep jeweler's rouge laying around, get a tube of a product called Maas(for polishing all metals). You can get it everywhere(big chain pharmacy stores, Wal-Mart and so on). It's located in the cleaning isle. This stuff is amazing. I've used it for 15 years. It works great.
Hope this helps.

Chris.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:42 AM

Talking polishing

You need a cotton buffing wheel preferably air powered. You can purchase the nessisary compounds from manhatten supply company.www.mscdirect.com. type in polishing compounds. I work with metal every day and this stuff is great. I polished the whole frame of my bike in a couple hours. Depending on how bad the scratches are. Start with the rough and proceed to the finer. Be patient it will be worth the small amount of work. Compound is less than $10.00 each bar.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. These tips make me feel better about cleaning up the little brightwork I am going to keep.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com