Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-13-2006, 05:34 PM

Default EATON DETROIT LEAF SPRING PROBLEM

Searched the archives on this but did not find a straight answer. I ordered a set of standard leaf springs for my 74 Trans Am from Eaton. Upon receiving them one spring has an arc that is 3/8 " taller than the other. Also a measurement from eyelet to eyelet shows the taller arch spring to be 1/4 " shorter than the other spring. I called Eaton and they told me that it "should" work. I replied "should" was not a good enough unless they were willing to return the leaf springs if they caused the car to set uneven and had been painted and had been installed. I inquired about them sending out a new spring so that I could match it to one of the others as close as possible but I felt they should pay my shipping charges for the new spring and the one I send back. I am still waiting on customer service to call me back. Am I out of line? Is 3/8" & 1/4" within tolerance specs for leaf springs? Just need some opinions or if anyone else ran across this with Eaton. When I first called they found it hard to believe the springs were different and told me it was an obtacle illusion but once I sent in photos they no longer questioned me. I am just not satisfied with "should". Thanks for any help.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had Eaton on my list as a supplier for rear springs for my 74 SD. Now I wonder if I should look elsewhere. I don't think there is a difference in the springs (ie right vs. left) is there? Were the straps that wrap around the leaves correct looking & the same on both springs? I have two 74 birds one with regular & one with hd suspension, the springs and straps look different on both of them. Maybe the sent you one of each! How much did they charge for the springs?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:59 PM

I have heard their customer service sucks. However, I recently did a conversion from Mono-Leaf to Multi-Leaf out of PST for my '67 FireChix. I have nothing but good things to say about there product. Of all the complaints I heard, everyone said there problem was eventually fixed at Eaton's expense. It sounds as though the have a quality assurance problem.

Later, Matt

Old 02-13-2006, 07:42 PM

SD Formula: The springs look identical so I believe them to be of the same type. Total cost for both springs and installation kit was $319.00, however shipping was an additional $52.50. I did hear back from Eaton and they are going to send out another spring at their cost so I can match up the best two but I have to send one back at my own expense. I guess they figure since the springs "should" work that I am being to anal about the measurements and should be willing to eat some of the cost. I agreed to the terms and will be waiting for the third spring to arrive to match up the best two. I just want to do the job right the first time and not mess with installing them once to see if they will work then uninstall to paint or send back then reinstall them. It's just not worth my time.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken
SD Formula: The springs look identical so I believe them to be of the same type. Total cost for both springs and installation kit was $319.00, however shipping was an additional $52.50. I did hear back from Eaton and they are going to send out another spring at their cost so I can match up the best two but I have to send one back at my own expense. I guess they figure since the springs "should" work that I am being to anal about the measurements and should be willing to eat some of the cost. I agreed to the terms and will be waiting for the third spring to arrive to match up the best two. I just want to do the job right the first time and not mess with installing them once to see if they will work then uninstall to paint or send back then reinstall them. It's just not worth my time.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not at the point of ordering springs yet. Just trying to plan ahead.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard a lot of problems with springs from the 'general' maunufacturers, all regarding quality control. The specs for the T/As especially are bogus that Eaton has, I know, I went round&round with them about it. I've seen a number of people complain about how cars sit unevenly after installing new springs, front or rear. The best way to control that is to buy from a source that tailors to the racing crowds, like Landrum, Afco, Hyperco, etc. They test each spring before it leaves the shop for a number of points, and they are pretty dead-on. You can order the leafs with whatever drop you want, extra spring on the driver side, longer second spring (traction aid), whatever. Just two weekends ago a friend installed Moog springs front & rear on his Grand National, thing was all uneven.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 PM

Thumbs up

Try ESPO spring, might find it at espo.com??? (I originally found them in Hemmings years ago), bought 4 or 5 sets from them - real good phone and technical communications. Good prices too.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live near Portland, Oregon. We have a company here that makes the springs any way you want them. And, they have all stock spec's on hand. I had them make my 68 firebird springs for both my birds, and have been very, very happy with one set for nine years now. They also will bend the U bolts if you want them made diff than stock, or from SS or any other stuff that's safe. Total cost for a set for my 68 last time was I believe $175.00. Mind you, your getting really good steel, with correct spring rate, or any other rate you want. They ship all over the world I believe, so you may want to check out a company in Portland, Oregon called Benz Spring Company. Or, if enough of you want it I'll post the address and number when I have time if I'm requested to. Yeah, I delt with Detroit before and decided when they would not offer any advise as to lowering my front on my GTO, that I'd look some place else. And, I did just that. Bye now, almost done with the 67 GTO after eleven years of mixed feeelings about the car.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR67GTO
I live near Portland, Oregon. We have a company here that makes the springs any way you want them. And, they have all stock spec's on hand. I had them make my 68 firebird springs for both my birds, and have been very, very happy with one set for nine years now. They also will bend the U bolts if you want them made diff than stock, or from SS or any other stuff that's safe. Total cost for a set for my 68 last time was I believe $175.00. Mind you, your getting really good steel, with correct spring rate, or any other rate you want. They ship all over the world I believe, so you may want to check out a company in Portland, Oregon called Benz Spring Company. Or, if enough of you want it I'll post the address and number when I have time if I'm requested to. Yeah, I delt with Detroit before and decided when they would not offer any advise as to lowering my front on my GTO, that I'd look some place else. And, I did just that. Bye now, almost done with the 67 GTO after eleven years of mixed feeelings about the car.
Please, Post phone # & website, Thanks