Old 08-28-2003, 04:44 PM

Not shure if this should be here but...
Today I found the factory build sheet stuck to the top of the gas tank. it is completly intact but completly coverered in dirt and grime. after brushing half of it off and seeing some writing I realized I need to find a place that restores old documents and also a place that can clean off the tar on it. any body know a place?

Old 08-28-2003, 04:44 PM

Not shure if this should be here but...
Today I found the factory build sheet stuck to the top of the gas tank. it is completly intact but completly coverered in dirt and grime. after brushing half of it off and seeing some writing I realized I need to find a place that restores old documents and also a place that can clean off the tar on it. any body know a place?

Old 08-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

I can't help you on a paper restoration place, but you may be able to find additional copies of your build sheet that may be in better condition. Under or behind the rear seat is a common place and I also read the other day of a guy that found one behind the glovebox under the dash.

Drag

http://webpages.charter.net/dragula7

www.dixiemusclecars.com
The Southeast's only online Community dedicated to the American Muscle Car!

2006 PBM GTO LS2
1995 Arctic White Trans Am LT1
1981 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car
1969 Gold Poly Firebird w/400
Old 09-02-2003, 03:49 AM
Senior Chief

try calling your local library and ask head librarian for a recommendation.

---------------------------
1967 Firebird 400 conv T400 3.08, 1989 Formula 350 700r4 3.27

Old 09-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is from the 68-69 GTO forum:
posted Aug 10, 03 14:46
AFTER SOME EXPERIMENTATION WITH BUILD SHEETS FROM A LEMANS OR TWO (WORTHLESS AS FAR AS I WAS CONCERNED)THIS IS WHAT I CAME UP WITH.
HERE IS HOW TO GET THE TAR OUT OF YOUR BUILD SHEET. THIS SHOULD BE DONE ON A HOT DAY OUT SIDE.

MATERIALS
1. GET SOME FAST CHEAP LAQUER THINNER. 1 gaL
2. A ROLL OF PAPER TOWELS
3. AN OLD NEWSPAER.

PROCEDURE
1. LAY THE NEWSPAPER DOWN THEN TAKE ABOUT 5-10 PAPERTOWELS AND LAY THEM ON THE NEWSPAPER(IN A STACK)
2. NEXT LAY THE TAR STAINED BUILD SHEET FACE DOWN ON THE PAPERTOWEL STACK.
3. POUR SOME OF THE THINNER IN TO A SMALLER GLASS CONTAINER AND RECAP THE GALLON OF THINNER.
4. DRIBBLE A LITTLE THINNER ON THE BACK OF THE BUILD SHEET IN A CORNER AND TAKE A WAD OF PAPERTOWELS AND BLOT THE BACK.
(THE BLOTTING CAUSES THE PAPER TOWELS UNDER THE BUILD SHEET TO WICK THE TAR OUT WITHOUT DAMAGING THE PRINT)!!!!IF YOU BLOT FROM THE FRONT YOU WILL DAMAGE THE SHEET ALONG WITH THE PRINT!!!!!
TRUST ME I HAVE TRIED IT BOTH WAYS.
AFTER BLOTTING A FEW TIMES POUR A LITTLE MORE THINNER ON AND REPEAT IN THE SAME AREA. NOW PICK UP THE SHEET AND ALLOW THE CORNER TO DRY
...BY THIS TIME YOU SHOULD BEGIN TO SEE THE PAPER OF THE BUILD SHEET BEGIN TO WHITEN.
REPEAT THIS PROCESS UNTIL THE SHEET IS CLEAN...
(WHEN THE PAPER TOWELS ON THE BOTTOM BECOME SOAKED WITH LAQUER THINNER REPLACE THEM WITH NEW ONES.
I USED THIS PROCESS TO REMOVE THE TAR FROM A JUDGE CONV. BUILD SHEET AND A 68 HO GTO BUILD SHEET AS WELL AS 2 LEMANS BUILD SHEETS THAT WERE UNABLE TO BE READ BECAUSE THEY WERE SO BLACKENED WITH TAR.

WORK SLOWLY !!!!
GOOD RESULTS ARE ACHIEVED WITH TIME AND PATIENCE.!!!!

Good Luck with your restoration.
Mike

1968 Pontiac GTO 400CID, 350HP, 4-Speed Manual, 3.55 rear. Aquamarine Blue exterior, 219 Blue interior. Chrome bumper, AM & 8-Track