Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Senior Chief

Default New, reproduced pot metal rear tailight bezels

I just got a pair in the mail yesterday and they are AWESOME!!!! A little pricey, yet worth every penny. Heavy too... Will go great on the fresh paint soon to come... Mike

Compared to what most people have including me

I just didn't want plastic ones...Glad I waited till these came around. Awhile back someone was making these with not much good to say...These are STUNNING!!!!! Mike

Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did you get them? They look nice and almost perfect?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Were those on EBay?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't wait till all the new 3D printing, laser metal 3D printing, and all the other new technologies in prototyping are fully intergrated into the reproduction market. Getting very close to the point where an original part is laser scanned, a mold is CNC machined, a part is made, simple as that (almost).
JohnnyB

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned 2 sets and they were great.Last set came from Inline Tube.Tom

Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, are they easy to replace without removing bumper? Tips?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Where did you get them? They look nice and almost perfect?

I did get them off eBay.... $309 plus $30 for shipping. Leeperest I think was the person/name I got them from.... Yes, they are practically perfect. A bargain I thought

Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Thanks, are they easy to replace without removing bumper? Tips?
without tweaking the bumper and maybe even bending it I don't think it is possible unless you at least loosen bumper bracket to frame bolts and let it drop down.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Can't wait till all the new 3D printing, laser metal 3D printing, and all the other new technologies in prototyping are fully intergrated into the reproduction market. Getting very close to the point where an original part is laser scanned, a mold is CNC machined, a part is made, simple as that (almost).
JohnnyB
why does is take this much technology to make a part from the 60's?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman411 View Post
I just got a pair in the mail yesterday and they are AWESOME!!!! A little pricey, yet worth every penny. Heavy too... Will go great on the fresh paint soon to come... MikeCompared to what most people have including me

I just didn't want plastic ones...Glad I waited till these came around. Awhile back someone was making these with not much good to say...These are STUNNING!!!!! Mike
Mine are just as bad. How do those become so ugly being at the back of the vehicle?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They ask that about some people after 45 years!Tom

Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
They ask that about some people after 45 years!Tom
ya thats true, but that's an odd part to go that bad. I know on all my emblems/bezels etc, that is by far the worst. If I had to guess it would have been the headlight bezel being at the front and getting hit with 45 year of road. The taillight bezel makes no sense to me.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Menace View Post
ya thats true, but that's an odd part to go that bad. I know on all my emblems/bezels etc, that is by far the worst. If I had to guess it would have been the headlight bezel being at the front and getting hit with 45 year of road. The taillight bezel makes no sense to me.
The reason the tail light bezels corrode so bad in comparison to the front
headlamp bezels is due to the corrosive effects of exhaust gases blowing back on the bumper
at speed. Also they are more exposed to rain than the front bezels which are tucked up
under the shelf of the front bumper.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Menace View Post
Mine are just as bad. How do those become so ugly being at the back of the vehicle?
how about the simple fact that it's crap pot metal! No way I'm wasting money on these until I see a set that's been on a driven car for two years. I'll bet these pit up just as bad in a quarter of the time if they're anything like the new "top of the line" chrome door handles or the quarter window sash channels...what a waste of money.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a pair of those from PY a few weeks ago. I agree, I was very impressed with the quality myself. Good detail, straight edges, nice chrome. Have not installed them yet, but if they fit as good as they look they are the best cast aftermarket parts I've seen yet.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depends on how picky you are I guess. I see some differences in the pair of nos ones I have here. Not painted correctly either

Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first set were from the original guy,had on my Royal Bobcat clone for more than 3 years when I sold the car,they were as new.The car was always garaged and never saw rain,sleet or snow.I put a set on the Gold Judge,not sure how they are.Tom

Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
My first set were from the original guy,had on my Royal Bobcat clone for more than 3 years when I sold the car,they were as new.The car was always garaged and never saw rain,sleet or snow.I put a set on the Gold Judge,not sure how they are.Tom
That's my fear with them. Garaged and pampered cars vs daily driven vehicles. mine don't see salt in the winter, but the do see weather for the rest of the year as these cars are my daily drivers and are not garaged. You should see how pitted those repop door handles were three years after installing them. I found a clean original for the passenger side off of ebay 6 years ago and it still looks like it did when I bought it. The repop sash channels are two years old and they look worse than the rusted ones I replaced, full of pits and rust bleeds.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
That's my fear with them. Garaged and pampered cars vs daily driven vehicles. mine don't see salt in the winter, but the do see weather for the rest of the year as these cars are my daily drivers and are not garaged. You should see how pitted those repop door handles were three years after installing them. I found a clean original for the passenger side off of ebay 6 years ago and it still looks like it did when I bought it. The repop sash channels are two years old and they look worse than the rusted ones I replaced, full of pits and rust bleeds.
how about the plastic (or similar product) tail light bezels. How do those bad boys hold up?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I got a pair of those from PY a few weeks ago. I agree, I was very impressed with the quality myself. Good detail, straight edges, nice chrome. Have not installed them yet, but if they fit as good as they look they are the best cast aftermarket parts I've seen yet.
Are the ones from PY plastic? Do you have a part number/price?
Thanks

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.