THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Firebird Concept by Buick

Yeah that's what I read. But I don't really think it'll happen.... especially by Buick. Looks cool tho. Does it look like a redone Camaro to you?

Photo I found, and the link.... https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...FORM=IRBPRS&=0
First photo top left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New 2017 Pontiac-Firebird-Concept by Buick.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	436390  

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 09-08-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Picture looks nice, don't get me wrong. But rumors like this were all the rage for a decade before the 2004 GTO finally appeared. And Pontiac was still a GM division then. Pontiac models sold as Buick's would likely only confuse the 90 year old average Buick customer. It's a pleasant thought though.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The picture is from http://www.2016newcarmodels.com/2017...elease-rumors/ It's one of those faux news sites that puts up 'concept' pictures and rumors that don't have anything to do with the actual manufacturers.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 PM

Looks better than the Camaro...

original ca car
Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I recall, when GM killed the Pontiac division, they said that the Pontiac moniker would be reserved for potentially selling a Pontiac vehicle in the future thru GMC dealerships. Which I guess most GMC dealers are also Buick dealers, so yeah maybe.

But in this case, I don't think so.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Picture looks nice, don't get me wrong. But rumors like this were all the rage for a decade before the 2004 GTO finally appeared. And Pontiac was still a GM division then. Pontiac models sold as Buick's would likely only confuse the 90 year old average Buick customer. It's a pleasant thought though.
Actually the Buick dealers are complaining that the Buick Division has gotten away from selling 'old people' cars. Seems everything they have in their product line now is geared toward the younger crowd. They have no basic, big sedans anymore. I was at my local Buick dealership this week at the salespeople were complaining that when the older Buick customers came in to trade in their older Buicks they had nothing in the Buick line to put them in.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My buick is a turbocharged 6 speed manual. If that makes me a senior citizen so be it I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 09-08-2016, 11:45 PM
Suspended

When I worked at the Buick dealership, the avg. age of the Buick owner was 73 years old, & that came directly from the Buick headquarters. That was just before I retired in 2000. Even then some of the owners were starting to complain about the lack of BIG cars for them. They want size so they feel safe in them. With the junk eggs on wheels they sell now I can see even more of them looking at other brands so they can get back into the BIG cars.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe it's because I'm 35, but the Buick Lacrosse as an example sure seems like a big sedan to me. Sure it's not like the mid 70s tuna boats but it's big by today's standards. How can you not feel safe with multiple crumple zones and like 8 air bags all around the inside?! Do they want a steel dash and a steering column that will impale them?

People over 73 need to be more worried about owning car they can see the corners of!

Last edited by 92GTA; 09-08-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Actually the Buick dealers are complaining that the Buick Division has gotten away from selling 'old people' cars. Seems everything they have in their product line now is geared toward the younger crowd. They have no basic, big sedans anymore. I was at my local Buick dealership this week at the salespeople were complaining that when the older Buick customers came in to trade in their older Buicks they had nothing in the Buick line to put them in.
I have close ties with many Buick dealers and I AGREE with you. Their traditional customer base, the old, old, old crowd doesn't have the familiar big sedans they crave to buy anymore. So the traditional Buick buyer is unhappy. They loved the LeSabre and the Park Avenue. Long gone now. You went to the dealer and chose between gray and tan for an exterior. You then chose leather or cloth, signed the papers and you were done. The dash had a gas gauge and a speedometer and an automatic sifter and a radio with dials. HEAVEN!

Now they are so complicated to order, own and drive, the customer base is lost. Bigger problem is the cars they do offer are not catching on with the younger drivers the way Pontiac vehicles did. Please don't chime in about how China loves them. Last time I checked, we still lived in the US.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad sold Buick, Pontiac, GMC, AMC, Oldsmobile and Cadillac cars and trucks over his lifetime in the auto business.

Buick has rarely made anything of interest to me since I first became interested in cars in the 60's. If Buick did come out with a competing version of the Camaro - I wouldn't touch it - I would just buy the Camaro.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to admit... the new Mustang styling is bada**. I am a Pontiac snob and have little interest in anything else, but Ford nailed the latest Mustang.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 09-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartazoo View Post
I have to admit... the new Mustang styling is bada**. I am a Pontiac snob and have little interest in anything else, but Ford nailed the latest Mustang.
x2!

I can't stand the reclad Camaro photoshopped "kit" pics that pop up on the web all the time.

They are nothing but click bait stories or the wet dream of some computer nerd still living in his parent's basement.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartazoo View Post
Post restructuring (& killing Pontiac), I have no loyalty to GM any more.

The Dodge Challenger is now the fodder of my new car dreams...
I saw a really nice B5-Blue Challnger R/T Scat Pack Shaker yesterday (yes, that is a REALLLY long name).

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
x2!

I can't stand the reclad Camaro photoshopped "kit" pics that pop up on the web all the time.

They are nothing but click bait stories or the wet dream of some computer nerd still living in his parent's basement.

x3 and +1 on the Camaro kits.

Its like nails on a chalkboard when I see yet another 2nd gen style kit on the new Camaros.

I dont understand how these people dont understand that the new camaros are retro styled after the 1st gen not 2nd gen, totally different styles/proportions

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 09-09-2016, 07:06 PM

You never know, rumors are always going around. but still not my cup of tea, still looks like a Camaro.
Some will love it, some will hate it, same with the new style Mustang.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Post restructuring (& killing Pontiac), I have no loyalty to GM any more.

The Dodge Challenger is now the fodder of my new car dreams...
I saw a really nice B5-Blue Challnger R/T Scat Pack Shaker yesterday (yes, that is a REALLLY long name).

Its just an SXT but its fun to drive, has 305HP and gets 30 MPG on the highway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7091.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	436475  

Old 09-10-2016, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the colour!!

Auto or stick?

I'd love to have an extended test drive in a v6-m/t car to really get a feel for one...

(Can you really get 30mpg's in your Challenger?!?!)

Unfortunately my pre-GM-restructuring Cobalt SS would likely blow it's doors off - But I'm sure a V6 Challenger has it's perks too like a cavernous trunk

Hey, I'd be happy to know what a Challenger R/T (5.7l-6spd) run in the quarter to compare against the Cobalt, or say an '02 Formula Firebird - I can only find performance stats for SRT's(!?).

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-10-2016, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I'm sure GM still owns the Pontiac name. They can market cars any way they wish. If this is a potential "real deal." It would be a smart way to do it.
The past is long gone, so are it's ways of doing business.
Many folks feel betrayed because of GM's dropping Pontiac, crap it wasn't going to happen any other way!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-10-2016, 06:44 PM

GM still makes engines that have HP and Torque in the lower RPM range out of an amazing small cubic engine just like engines of the past while ford had to stuff a giant engine to match GM horsepower. Once again GM tops ford in simplicity and power while ford has to imply smoke and mirrors to complete. There is a reason GM motors find there way in almost every engine bay of American and foreign cars