THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Dewalt, Milwaukee or Rigid cordless tolls?

I have traditionally owned Dewalt cordless tools but have had the opportunity to try both Rigid and some Milwaukee. They are all very nice but all have their strengths and weaknesses. Im now looking to buy a complete set this year. I'm looking for a set for a set of at least 18v. I am not a contractor but I run them hard and am looking for a set of cordless tools that would stand up to your heavier duty homeowner projects. Please base your opinions on tools weight, reliability, ergonomics and battery life.. Looking for good bad or indifferent.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Out of the selections you offer I would be inclined to go with Milwaukee brand for their reputation and reliability. I have owned Milwaukee tool for over 35-40 years and corded and cordless, no complaints. I also own several cordless Mikita 18 V and they too are an excellent tool. The replacemnt batteries for the Mikita do not seem to have the power that the originals came with and they do not seem to hold a charge as long as the originals, like 1/2 the power time when compared to the originals that the tools came with ? The Mikita's that I own are lighter in weight and more user friendly when hanging upside down on a roof top. Like you said they all have pro's and con's.

Tim john---

Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with Tim. Milwaukee all the way. We run corded drills every day and never had one go bad. I used to have a Dewalt cordless and the battery life was the worst of any cordless drill Ive ever owned.

By the way, if your looking for a corded drill, I have a Milwaukee Magnum 1/2 with a side arm that I bought a few months ago. Its barley used and looks like new. Let me know.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 10-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Milwaukee with lithium-ion battery, the higher the voltage, the more torque.

George

Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a set of Milwaukee about 10 years ago. All of it: drill, saw, sawzall & light. Junk. Used it everyday as an electrician. Very disappointed. Switch failed on light, drill went to only operating on one speed - on and on. Before becoming an electrician we had a hardware store. Always thought Milwaukee was Cadillac. What I have learned since (using tools constantly) is that they make a good Sawzall and Hole hawg, but I look elsewhere for other tools after having issues with their masonry drills, circular saws, angle grinders etc. All the failures were stupid stuff that a little engineering would have solved. The angle grinder has some sensor in the switch that goes bad, & it probably had 5-10 hours on it when it died. Not even the switch itself. Circ. saws have flimsy blade guard lever blah blah blah. Even after all those purchases, no help form the rep. when you have a complaint. We own/have owned: 2 hole hawgs, super sawzall, masonry drill, 3/8 " drill, 1/2 Drill with quick lock chuck, 4" angle grinder, Circ. saw & full set of cordless tools. That is just the stuff I can remember. At least 50% of the stuff had issues early in life. The older stuff is great. One hole hawg is 30 years in service, super sawzall is going on 20.

The Milwaukee replacement batteries are same story that Tim states. Nowhere near the life of the originals. Pretty much with all cordless stuff it is cheaper to buy a complete set than to just buy the batteries anyway. Go figure.

After a stint with Makita, I have gone to Bosch cordless and corded tools. I have not had any issues with chop saw, table saw, router or 1/2" cordless.

Man, I have bought a lot of tools.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 10-14-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

Another vote for Bosch. I have one of their cordless drills and it just keeps going. It's 10 years old now, still works great and holds a good charge.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Just bought the ridgid set because of the high torque rating of the impact and lifetime battery warranty.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just bought the ridgid set because of the high torque rating of the impact and lifetime battery warranty.
dittos

Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
Now that's a great feature!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got about a dozen Dewalt cordless tools and about the same of the batteries. I have used them a lot and they have been very good to me.
I think it is important to go with one brand and stick with it so you have all the same batteries and chargers.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the Dewalt drill and impact driver set last year with 20v lithium ion batteries.
I would probably be considered a medium duty DIY homeowner.

No complaints so far. I love the impact driver, but they do chew up driver bits.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Milwaukee is a great tool. I have 1 cordless straight and 1 cordless 90 degree.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have worked professionally ( gutter work) with Ryobi stuff.

Not one complaint, the drills have fallen from 20 feet and were fine. They are inexpensive but seem to last.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Installed over 30 each commercial hand towel, hand soap, and tp dispensers using Rigid's grill and driver yesterday. Lots of speed/torque settings.
Over 80-90 holes drilled and screws used.
Each had its own battery and didn't drain down.
Quite impressive.

Had a 12v Dewalt drill for 20 years. Still works, but replacement batteries cost more then a new 24v system.

Only Milwaukee product i've owned is a 20 yr old pos electric sazall, but it still runs, so....

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do they make any cordless nailers?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like they do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=powe...s+power+nailer

Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bosch for me.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
I bought a set of Milwaukee about 10 years ago. All of it: drill, saw, sawzall & light. Junk. Used it everyday as an electrician. Very disappointed. Switch failed on light, drill went to only operating on one speed - on and on. Before becoming an electrician we had a hardware store. Always thought Milwaukee was Cadillac. What I have learned since (using tools constantly) is that they make a good Sawzall and Hole hawg, but I look elsewhere for other tools after having issues with their masonry drills, circular saws, angle grinders etc. All the failures were stupid stuff that a little engineering would have solved. The angle grinder has some sensor in the switch that goes bad, & it probably had 5-10 hours on it when it died. Not even the switch itself. Circ. saws have flimsy blade guard lever blah blah blah. Even after all those purchases, no help form the rep. when you have a complaint. We own/have owned: 2 hole hawgs, super sawzall, masonry drill, 3/8 " drill, 1/2 Drill with quick lock chuck, 4" angle grinder, Circ. saw & full set of cordless tools. That is just the stuff I can remember. At least 50% of the stuff had issues early in life. The older stuff is great. One hole hawg is 30 years in service, super sawzall is going on 20.

The Milwaukee replacement batteries are same story that Tim states. Nowhere near the life of the originals. Pretty much with all cordless stuff it is cheaper to buy a complete set than to just buy the batteries anyway. Go figure.

After a stint with Makita, I have gone to Bosch cordless and corded tools. I have not had any issues with chop saw, table saw, router or 1/2" cordless.

Man, I have bought a lot of tools.
That's good to know and surprising all at the same time. At the risk of sounding like my father, the older stuff including the original dewalts etc all seemed to last longer and seemed better built.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quite frankly I've had pretty good luck with all of them including Bosch. I have never had good luck with Ryobi products of any type.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 PM

While not cordless, I had to have a moment of silence for my Milwaukee circular saw the other day. After being used 5 days a week, every week for 22 years, the bearings are gone. Gonna miss that thing.

Cordless I use Dewalt. I am not easy on them at all and they get used daily....and dropped daily. I'm still running the older 18 volt ones but I cannot complain at all.