THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes test a zero turn

you dont have to be religious to go to church..you can be spiritual and believe in a higher power with out all the organized religion catches...once a month church visit wont hurt ya..i bounced around a little and found a modern progressive church..it was more about being a better human being than brimstone and hell fire...it was really good for me, and the networking was huge...it was good for business and mental health..when you walk thru the door and people are genuinely happy to see you...it makes you happy..and it has an affect on everything in your life.

i made up my mind once a month was enough and ended up there way more...it was an oasis in a hostile world...i just didnt get involved in their politics, volunteered for nothing i felt uncomfortable with..and just visited and got what i needed..socialization...it was good for me..real good

i have issues with being anti social too..to an unhealthy extent also...a dog or two will help a lot...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post

i have issues with being anti social too..to an unhealthy extent also...a dog or two will help a lot...
I’m actually working on that. I applied for adoption from one organization last week because I told them I didn’t believe in crating dogs. Grounds for refusal I guess. Apparently dogs would rather be locked in a box than sleep wherever they want in the house and run around on 22 acres.

I’m working with a different rescue organization now.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my advice.....dont go to a rescue...they are arrogant SOBs that act like life will end if they dont match you with the "RIGHT" dog..been thru it..i wanted a Pit and they called my employer for a reference...blah blah...

i had a foster mom tell me my job was too demanding and refused to give me a dog...and the rescue sided with her...even though i wanted to travel the dog with me..she said no..

its been 3 years and the dog is still avail..the foster mom is a cnt...and doesnt want to give the dog up..but cant adopt it because she has too many of her own...whatta joke

theres places to adopt dogs, and the humane society really isnt that bad....the local dog pound aint so bad...the 3 best dogs of my life where mutts...dont get a dog for social status or prestige...mutts are awesome and usually dont have health issues from over breeding etc...

go to a pound..meet the dogs...find one that follows you around and is social and happy...ask questions...most workers are good people and will tell you the truth

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Lol I know. I feel like I may end up being the farmers only version of a catfish when I show up tattooed in an Iron Maiden shirt
You’ll probably fit right in! I’m one of the few car guys I know without tattoos.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

I have a bit of a philosophical disagreement with some of these "animal" rescue organizations. I hope your experiences are better. I was denied because the dog (a 3 year old, high energy lab) was to spend its whole life inside the house, not to go outside unless to do its business while I stood there, in case someone wanted to steal it. I have 2 ACRES of fenced in yard, mind you.

Add into it the intrusive application process, it seems to me they do NOT want to adopt dogs out.

When they told me that my situation wasn't "A good fit" for the dog (you gotta be ****ting me), I told them to do something to themselves that's anatomically impossible, and **** off.

If they ever send another request for donations in a postage-paid return envelope, I am gonna tape it to a damn junk crankshaft and send it back.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 04-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I was pretty mad about the first one that rejected me. For the simple fact that I said I preferred not to use a crate. Now if they had said “we think you should try to wean her off of it”. No problem. I’m a reasonable guy. But they didn’t even talk to me about it. Just said I wasn’t fit to be her owner. As mentioned I think it’s just a crutch to let yourself keep the dog. Put it up for adoption and then just reject everyone.

This new one seems more promising. I’m actually going to visit with the dog today. I wanted to work with a smaller rescue org because I wanted to be able to ask questions. It’s no different than buying an old car. You don’t really know it’s not going to blow up on you the next day but you try to minimize risk by doing homework. I live alone and have a normal job. So I’m trying to find a young adult dog who hasn’t shown signs of separation anxiety etc.

Humane societies are great. And if I had a family so the dog would have more constant supervision I would likely just go get a puppy from them. But they don’t have as detailed of information about their animals usually from a behavior in the home standpoint.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
You’ll probably fit right in! I’m one of the few car guys I know without tattoos.
No tats here! But, I do have the Iron Maiden and Megadeth t-shirts!

Normally at the cruise-ins I'm representing Chief Pontiac though.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
No tats here! But, I do have the Iron Maiden and Megadeth t-shirts!

Normally at the cruise-ins I'm representing Chief Pontiac though.
I was speaking more to not fitting in on farmers only lol.

Car guys tend to be a bit more metal

Old 04-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

I do have a small vegetable garden.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As do I. Must be a Hoosier thing...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dude who I’m buying from kept a food plot for deer. I was going to keep up the practice because I like having them around. Does that count as a garden?

Old 04-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes..but not really needed//if they visit they will keep coming back..i have 6 or 7 in my yard daily...and i live in the city...

The Goat whisperer

Old 04-11-2018, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ll tell you one thing I don’t like about Indiana. These disgusting yellow/brown centipedes that I see all the time. Idk if they are super common or if the lakeside condo I’m staying in Just has a problem with them. I didn’t see any for the first few weeks but lately it seems I kill one a day. Usually trapped in the bathtub when I wake up.

And this morning. One of the horrid things actually fell on me while I was taking a shower. I damn near tore my ACL trying to escape. Broke the sliding door off the shower. I’ll hold snakes or alligators whatever. I don’t like bugs.....

Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Senior Chief

I don't think that's a common problem around here. We do get those little orange lady-bug looking beetles all over our house for some reason though. Maybe there are some trees that attract them at your place?

BTW, I'd rather lick a centipede than even LOOK at a snake! Major phobia here!!!

Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I’ll tell you one thing I don’t like about Indiana. These disgusting yellow/brown centipedes that I see all the time. Idk if they are super common or if the lakeside condo I’m staying in Just has a problem with them. I didn’t see any for the first few weeks but lately it seems I kill one a day. Usually trapped in the bathtub when I wake up.

And this morning. One of the horrid things actually fell on me while I was taking a shower. I damn near tore my ACL trying to escape. Broke the sliding door off the shower. I’ll hold snakes or alligators whatever. I don’t like bugs.....
Go on Amazon and buy a quart of Dragnet concentrate. It’s a pyrethrum based insecticide that will kill these centipedes. I live in the woods so they’re common at my house as well.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 PM

I moved from Simi Valley, CA back in 1999 to Columbus, IN. transfered by TMS Industrial Trucks Div. Housing was very reasonable vs. CA. I bought a house w/3 car garage and 6.3 acres wooded and a 6.3 acre lake in my backyard for less than I sold my CA home.

Columbus is the home of Cummins Engine and other large Mfg. Companies. A nice size city close to Indy, Cinncy and Louisville if interested.
INDY has the PRI Performance Racing Industry trade show in Dec.

COLUMBUS has Corvette Club and a Mustang Club. Every Sept. they have big cruise-In downtown that draws 150-200 cars.

I also recommend a Zero Turn mower. I have a Great Dane w 25 hp Koehler engine w 900+hrs. It takes me 4.5 hrs. As I have lots trees and shrubs.

I am glad I was transferred to IN. instead So. CAL. Based on many economic reasons and fewer gangs and crimes, there are no gangs in Columbus and fewer crimes. Drugs are the biggest crime problems here and Nationally.