Old 06-18-2021, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
There is a reason they went to two spring they got smarter same reason they did away with the tri power it was out dated just like almost everything becomes sooner or later. FYI new does not mean always better my $6000 zero turn broke a new spring in less than a hour after having it delivered
Are you purposely on the Tri-Power thread? Perhaps you forgot some of automotive history. Tri-Powers were installed at the factory by Pontiac from 1957-1966. Previous to 1957, four barrel carbs were large, heavy, and very expensive to build. Pontiac and Olds figured out that the Rochester 2G, at about $10 cost each, was a cheaper way to go and provided better performance than the available four barrels at that time. When the Quadrajet was developed in the mid '60's, they could get nearly the same performance for lower cost--(one carb vs. three).

Most of us on this Tri-Power Tech forum have Tri-Powers, and we love them. You are correct in that technology improves--since the mid-80's, all cars use fuel injection. This forum is about helping each other with our Tri-Powers.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 06-19-2021, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, even after I took off the 2nd spring the sticky throttle just off idle got WORSE. (I still won't put the 2nd spring back on.) So, I tore into the entire linkage system.

1. the pedal lever and pivot are fine, move smoothly, has new bushings
2. the distributor vacuum line was too long and running under the spring, not really interfering but still, shortened up the line so it avoids the spring altogether
3. the butterfly shaft moves smoothly and returns on just the carb spring alone
A. BUT the throttle lever held on by a screw was loose!
B. the screw was removed and replaced with a little high strength loctite

Everything moves smoother now. Boy, that idle speed screw is touchy!

Now, to readjust the clutch linkage (again) and replace the speedometer driven gear. Not looking forward to that job!