Old 03-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Single Stage or BC/CC?

'68 Firebird RAI 4spd conv.
Starlight Black.
Resto objective: Concours/Factory

Some insist on single stage paint.
Others say basecoat/clearcoat.

I get that S/S is closer to factory finish however, this won't have the protection/durability as BC/CC and will show everything/need regular attention.

My painter has done a lot of black cars that are amazing. He says BC/CC doesn't have to be over the top.

Another suggestion is to go S/S but with clear (PPG Concept, "cocktail").

Scott Tiemann: BC/CC
Level One: S/S
Supercar Workshop: BC/CC

As I understand it, POCI & MCACN don't deduct points for BC/CC provided it's not over done.

Would appreciate the pros & cons.

Thanks!

Semper Fi
Old 03-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I did my black 63 tempest I did single stage and never looked back.Tom

Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John,
I haven't tried the cocktail, but it is a viable method. Kind of the best of both worlds if you're going to have UV exposure on a concourse/driver oxymoron.
You've seen the pictures I sent you of the silver '68, and that is BC/CC with three coats of 2002 Clear. I doubt if that car sees 5 days of sun exposure a year.
I admit that if I was in your shoes I would use the DCC Concept single stage.
Steve

Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	533657I love S/S paint when done right. My car was painted in 1988 with MartinSenour Acrylic Enamel. Granted, it is kept garaged , but I drive it about 1800 to 2100 miles a year. Although it has tiny chips and fine scratches , It still looks awesome.
If I ever decide to repaint t, It will be done the same way.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Crap...picture upside down???

Old 03-04-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The single stage is the same chemical makeup as the clear only without pigment. So the uv is still there. This is why you can as your term (cocktail) can be done. This I have done with the thinking it would enhance gloss. this is unproven afaik

B/C is a must on a metallic color especially if sand and buffing is in the plan. but not so much on a solid color. The solid color can be sanded and buffed w/o the clear.

The clear over solid color adds nothing to gloss or life to job. Single stage also is less costly and less time to do. Repair is also EZer to repair . One more advantage could be that if at any point in paint process you need to do a repair or improvement to job you can just spray another coat. some shops paint car then sand it out and apply more coats as a final finish.

Factory clear coats every vehicle now due to there paint system

But in ether case a good shop can produce the same result. A excellent job.

Whatever you choose make sure the shop you choose is comfortable with the system you choose. This can affect the job more than you may think

Old 03-04-2020, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one other point to consider. most shops now are geared to do BC/CC due to the fact that there mixing system is a B/C system . that means there tint bank is all base coat tints. The clear is common to any color they mix.

In the body shop world now hardly anyone uses S/S unless they do fleet work

Old 03-04-2020, 03:32 PM

I've read that black cars will look 'more black' with a single stage paint, but don't know if that is really true.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used PPG DCC 9300 single stage on my 67 GTO. Sprayed it about 10 years ago and it still looks great.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Almost all the cars I've had even new I've kept with BC/CC the clear delaminates after a while. the '04 GTO I bought in '05 added the '05 style hood and was painted in Sikkens BC/CC and it delaminated almost the same rate as the original paint. Now my wife's dark green '02 Avalanche still is decent except just now some on the hood. Single stage is sure easier to touch up.

I disagree clear over color in single stage does not add depth, my 78 was done that way with Glasurit polyurethane and it definitely added depth to the shine. Done in '88 and still looks good-except from burnout chips

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if it's still offered but the old Ditzler acrylic enamel covered with clear urethane with hardener is a killer finish.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:57 PM

Here are a couple of pictures, one of the Z28 done in Matrix b/c painted last year and TA in Dupont Imron s/s painted in 99.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1597 (1).JPG
Views:	149
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	534195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	534197  

Old 03-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s Black......id Go the single stage route.....just put 4 good coats on....let it set in the blistering sun for a week to gas out. Then start cutting (sanding) ....and then buffing. Iam not going to give out my secrets to a near lacquer looking finish and the compounds I use.....but good luck..what ever you choose.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
Here are a couple of pictures, one of the Z28 done in Matrix b/c painted last year and TA in Dupont Imron s/s painted in 99.
That Imron will last a hundred years .. jeez that stuff is hard and seems like nothing hurts it.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Op......so what does “ Over Done “ mean on paint ?

Old 03-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
The single stage is the same chemical makeup as the clear only without pigment. So the uv is still there. This is why you can as your term (cocktail) can be done. This I have done with the thinking it would enhance gloss. this is unproven afaik

B/C is a must on a metallic color especially if sand and buffing is in the plan. but not so much on a solid color. The solid color can be sanded and buffed w/o the clear.

The clear over solid color adds nothing to gloss or life to job. Single stage also is less costly and less time to do. Repair is also EZer to repair . One more advantage could be that if at any point in paint process you need to do a repair or improvement to job you can just spray another coat. some shops paint car then sand it out and apply more coats as a final finish.

Factory clear coats every vehicle now due to there paint system

But in ether case a good shop can produce the same result. A excellent job.

Whatever you choose make sure the shop you choose is comfortable with the system you choose. This can affect the job more than you may think
I would say 99% of the shops out there ....would refuse to paint a guys car if he came in with a paint system different than theirs....I know I would.