Old 10-08-2017, 09:36 PM

Default 71 Trans Am vapor lock

I do not post much, but know there are really smart Pontiac people on this board.
I finished up the car and put the trailer two hours before we left for Dayton in August. The first time I had driven the car since 1980 was was Tipp city cruise.
Ran fine both ways. I parked back at the motel. After sitting about 20 minutes, was hard to start then stopped. Several people helped push back on trailer and I came home .
Next day, started fine. Happened again on Thursday in heavy traffic. Sat on side of interstate in Nashville for over an hour waiting on wrecker that never came. The car then started back up no problem.
Any ideas? Numbers matching car, new tank, lines, correct pump. Correct gasket under carburetor. I run 93 octane, without ethanol .
Sometimes new is not good enough! Was my everyday car for for five years and I never had this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is turning over slow then it sounds like heat soak on your starter solenoid. Make sure you are using a good quality solenoid and have your heat shield in place. If you are not even getting a click then you are having a similar problem to what I am having. I don't even get a click when it is hot. Sometimes, not all of the time. It's not the neutral safety switch and I don't think it is the ignition switch since I went though that and clean up the contacts. Battery is new. Starter is rebuilt with a quality solenoid and heat shield in place. Last time it did it, I was not getting a click at all so I grabbed the positive battery cable and shook it and it started up, but then quit. After that I got a click but no start. If I put a battery charger on it, it shows the battery is charged and it will immediately start right up. Could the heat be causing a resistance problem with the positive battery cable? It is a new M&H reproduction of the original with the tar paper wrap. Checked all of my connections and they are good too.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like 68Bird says, check that battery and make sure the cables are bolted on tight too. Also check the connections at the starter end. You also mention you have a new tank. Be sure you have the right one for your car with all the fittings your original had and they're routed correctly. Lastly, verify your return line is hooked up and blow some air through it to make sure it isn't blocked. You probably want to have your gas cap off for that.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my question is did it die while driving on the day you had to sit on the interstate or is it always after you have driven it and parked it and then go to restart it?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:57 AM

My issue is fuel related. Cranks over strong.
Will check return hose to the the tank .

Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the fuel pump too. Those things are touchy after sitting. Choke pull off can matter in smooth starting...

Old 10-09-2017, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When it does it, take scoop/top off air cleaner and look into the carb.
See if it's doing anything like dripping fuel, 'smoking' or vapor coming up, etc.
(also see if choke is off)

Then open throttle and see if the accelerator pump squirts good.

Possibly the float level is off.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 AM

Accelerator pump does not squirt the fuel.
removed metal fuel line at pump while waiting. The pump is working.
I used all stainless lines. Do they conduct more heat?
Motor temperature is good.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it possible the carb is dripping fuel after shut down and flooding the engine? Sounds like you don't have an accel pump, maybe the fuel bowl is empty. Try flooring the car to start to clear flood it. Then you can fix the carb.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With no squirt, it probably is boiling.

Could try some pipe insulation on the line from pump to carb. (like 74 SD's had)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates