Old 10-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Senior Chief

Default Steering Linkage Swap '71 to '75+ Firebird

For my '71 project I am going to change out the steering links to the more cost effective '75 and up hardware. In doing so the pitman arm is the same on all '70-'81 models but according to Moog there is a K5212 Idler for '70-'72 and a K6186 Idler for '73-'81. My assumption is that if the pitman does not change for all years then the idler should be the same to maintain geometry. Does anyone know the difference between these idlers or have you done this steering linkage swap to shed some light. Thanks

Old 10-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I do know that replacing the front end parts on these 2nd gens can be a confusing task.

You would think if the idler is different, the pitman must also be different right?

I do know that 2nd gen T/A's use entirely different parts from Camaros. Everything is different, including the pitman arm being 1" shorter and with a slight bend in it.

IIRC I think 81 cars got even more confusing?

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-14-2016, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The early Firebirds used the DS828 center link with long and short inner outer tie rods.
In 1975 1/2 they changed to the DS883 center link with equal length inner and outer tie rods.
The DS829 center link is for Camaros
The DS828 has larger inner tie rod pin holes that the DS883 or DS829 for that matter, that is why you could not fit your inner tie rods in the DS829.
Most auto part sources think that Camaro and Firebird parts are all interchangeable...not so.

If you are restoring the car and need the parts to look correct the only place to get the DS828 center link is Rare parts expect to spend about $500+ to redo your steering

If originality is not a concern you can use the 1975 1/2 and later center link DS883 AND inner and outer tie rod assemblies, or you can even use Camaro OUTER tie rods.
(I had this info in a folder, it probably came from a PY member here on this site )

Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Senior Chief

Good info and I had gleaned that information from earlier posts. The mystery is the idler arms. The ultimate question is whats the difference between the K5212 and the K6186 Moog arms.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 72 outside that looks pretty orginal and a 75 set up at my honey hole, will try to take some pictures for you guys.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

When I did my 73 I used all later Z28 stuff (76 and UP) This requires the use of
a Camaro Pitman Arm, but the rest is Moog. This setup has the equal length
Inner and Out Tie Rods. The only issue is that that the Steering wheel will not
center all the way, and requires a small Mod to the Turn Signal Cam wheel in the
column. All of this is in the archives, but the swap is not as easy as just changing
the parts if the end result requires a aligned Steering wheel, and for me it did.

Also I originally went for cost savings, but when I opened the China Tie Rods, I threw
them directly into the Garbage and bought all Moog. Don't compromise safety
and use good parts up front regardless of the system you decide on. Those Auto Zone
China Tie Rods looked dangerous when they were brand new, and most of them had the
grease fittings in the wrong place. Did the same thing with a brand new pair of
rear brake cylinders. The fit on the grease fitting threads were so bad, that you could
not bleed the system. They also found the garbage can.