Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Default Power Steering press line, new one doesn match.

Hi, restoring a 76 Trans Am 400/auto. Having a difficult time finding the right pressure line for the power steering. I purchased one some time ago from PY or Classic (can't remember which), then once recently at a parts store. Both didn't look like the original unit, the end that connects to the pump does not match, the opposite end does. I'm pretty sure the engine and components are factory as I've owned this car since 1985. Any ideas why I'm having such a difficult time with this?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the PN of the one you're purchasing?

Any pictures of the old one?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked in my uncles part store in the early eighties and that would come up ALL the time. The replacement P/S pressure line never looked like the original. However, they always fit. So, you are probably running into the same thing. Chances are the hose you are replacing is not original either. We used to go 'round and 'round with this. If you are restoring to concourse, then obviously you'll need to find some original pics, if not try the hose you get and chances are it'll fit. Sometimes the new hose didn't even look close, but fit. Hope this helps.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what The Parts Place is marketing...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330438030163

Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info guys, the most recent one has a part number of 70260 listed. It looks identical to the one I purchased a few years back. Its hard to tell because the photo isn't great but it shows both. The old line is still connected to the pump. The new line is to the right. The other ends and lengths of these are identical. It is only the end that connects to the back of the pump that is different.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try Inline tube?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had that happen to me with my 75 trans am the tube would press where the back of the housing was, could not get the threads started correctly.....back in the late 90s I was a parts guy at a auto parts store, I searched every known catalog and found nothing that fit better eventually I was told by the warehouse who supplied us to "just bend the end to make it match what you have" being out of options I did tweek the end tube carefully and it worked ok, I was not looking for originality at the time just stopping a leak, I'm still confused how parts companies can take 3 or 4 different parts with different part numbers and consolidate them into "a one size fits all" part & part number. Frustrating.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI......if you still have your original & the ends/fittings are good,any place that sells hydraulic hose can re-use your fittings on a new line..

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM

I am in the same boat with my 79 TA 400. The Edelman 70260, which the catalogs call for, won't fit.

I don't think I could bend the upward bend without kinking the line.

Here are the pics of the original to the car hose:

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2X what 2manyT/A's said works every time.